PDA

View Full Version : Ouch x2!

CHEESE2009
05-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Yesterday I had to move a big rock. I used a 2x4 and shovel...

I crushed my pinky finger between the rock and the shovel when I tried to jam it under the rock... lol.... the rock was moved. :)

Later that night... I was cutting cardboard.... I dropped the box knife and went to catch it... I ended up slitting my next finger open and blood went everywhere.

It went so damn deep it took me 20 minutes to stop the bleeding. I used an elastic to cut off circulation to my finger. And another elastic over my forearm.

I didn't bother to disinfect it, I was more worried about dying at the time! I felt really dizzy and just wanted to close my eyes. Anyway, one blood soaked towel later and I managed to clot my finger up... That's good news! I through a band-aid on just to protect it until I was tough enough to put some polysporen on. (I did it this morning lol).

My finger still hurts, and the cut mark is black! I'm still wondering if it was supposed to be stitched - because I just let it dry out???:confused:

I had a tough time sleeping because I was imagining having to have my entire arm cut off due to infection or something stupid lol.

Lesson Learned: Don't catch sharp objects when they fall

Ducke
05-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Lesson Learned: Don't catch sharp objects when they fall

This is a very good lessen to learn
It ranks up there with catching the HOT Soldering Iron when I dropped it :eek:

CHEESE2009
05-01-2011, 05:34 PM
This is a very good lessen to learn
It ranks up there with catching the HOT Soldering Iron when I dropped it :eek:

Good lord, lmao! Well that's gotta be plenty painful! I find burns more painful then anything!

http://favoritehero.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/iron_man_teaser_poster-small.jpg
If only it was that easy to become Iron Man

Ducke
05-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Its funny because just as your hand is closing around the Knife or Soldiering Iron
the thought flashes though your head "This is not right, This is going to Hurt" But we do it anyways just out of instinct. Strange how our brains work or don't work as it be.

Steve
05-04-2011, 03:24 PM
You have to be careful cutting off circulation with tourniquet like that. Always try direct pressure and elevation first.

And try some neosporin or the like to reduce the chance of infection!

How is everything doing today?

CHEESE2009
05-04-2011, 04:38 PM
I didn't have much of an option for a proper tourniquet, and I'm not crazy about seeing (my) blood so I was too out of it to think properly. I tried to leave it on for a short amount of time. You are right though, It could have made matters worse!

So in other words, others should know that tourniquets should not be made of string or elastic, they should have a bigger coverage area as to not "pinch" and destroy your nerves/circulation etc. The damage can be permanent and may even cause you to have your finger amputated.

I misjudged the severity of my wound, I thought it would have clotted faster. Unfortunately it didn't - so my adrenaline grew which caused me to make a foolish decision which could have been disastrous! I could have ripped a shirt at least.

I applied pressure as much as I could, but I felt "weak" to the point I couldn't really keep at it. This is common. When you get a "needle" the nurse/doctor will have you stay in the clinic for 20 minutes before you are able to leave (or drive a vehicle). Loss of blood confuses your system and it may cause you to faint so that your body can go into "restore/fix" mode.

ANYWAYS!
My finger has a strange shape to it lol. Kind of like what it would look like swollen, but it's not swollen anymore...OH WELL, got plenty of fingers to go around!

I'm gonna upload pictures as soon as I receive them in my email from my cell.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/finger2.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/finger1.jpg

Looks a bit better!

Steve
05-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Well I hope you are fully recovered soon :)