PDA

View Full Version : Cultivating gardens... good or not???

clandscaping44
05-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Hey fellas... I am up for debate for this service, I think I should be offering a garden tilling service for extra money... I have never operated a garden tiller. I estimate I would make anywhere from $70 to $145 a pop which means if i were to buy one for 250 I could break even after 2 jobs after that everything would be profits... YAY! aha How do you think I should approach this??? :)

Steve
05-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Could you market the service first and see what kind of responses you get? Then line up a few jobs in a row and either rent or buy the machine then?

clandscaping44
05-01-2011, 01:29 PM
that def sounds like a great idea... Thats what i was talkin to my dad about and he was like ehhh its not worth it. But if you suggest I should I will def act on it. Would you happen to have any garden tilling flyers on the forum

cruzgardening
05-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Hey fellas... I am up for debate for this service, I think I should be offering a garden tilling service for extra money... I have never operated a garden tiller. I estimate I would make anywhere from $70 to $145 a pop which means if i were to buy one for 250 I could break even after 2 jobs after that everything would be profits... YAY! aha How do you think I should approach this??? :)

Tilling can be a PITA but a fast way of making extra money, last year was my first season with my own company and so i had to rent a medium tiller to till a regular size property here in the Los Angeles area. As i started to dig in i realized the dirt on the side of the property where i had tested the week before was really nice and loose but the one on the other side was super hard like a rock, i quikly realized this machine would not cut it so i took it back to the rental center they were nice enough to give me my money back i talked to the client reschedule and borrowed a big tiller to do the job and finished it ASAP. Moral of the story, check the whole property before quoting your clients so you do not get surprises also make sure you let them know that you will charge extra for roots rocks and other items that need to be removed, and have them place flags for the gas line water line and any other line they might have so you do not get blamed if you do break something :)

good luck man

elrascal
05-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Could you market the service first and see what kind of responses you get? Then line up a few jobs in a row and either rent or buy the machine then?

Yeah I'm with you on this one. It is better to test the waters first rather than diving right in

Steve
05-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Tilling can be a PITA but a fast way of making extra money

What are your suggestions on the best way to bid tilling jobs?

Also what do you feel you do differently this year with those jobs than you did last year?

cruzgardening
05-05-2011, 02:12 AM
What are your suggestions on the best way to bid tilling jobs?

Also what do you feel you do differently this year with those jobs than you did last year?

i look around websites and Ads and see how much they are charging, My area is about $1.20 a square foot and i charge half that now that i know and i still make a profit. yeah charging per sq ft plus 50/hr for any stump removal or boulder removal fee on top of that is the way to go in my area. Already done 4 this season :)

i am defenitely renting the big machine for all the jobs even if it means my profit margin gets droped about $20 per job hehe yeah i know now much

Steve
05-05-2011, 04:14 PM
At what point do you feel you would buy a tiller and what kind would you get?

cruzgardening
05-06-2011, 12:17 AM
At what point do you feel you would buy a tiller and what kind would you get?

i currently store everything on a small Shed in my backyard there is no more space for any more machines but i would buy my own when i had at least 30 tilling jobs a year lat year i only did 10 not many and its well worth renting the machine so until i get 30 tilling jobs a year i think ill think about buying one, i would probably get the same one the shop has its easy to maneuver but big enough for you not to push or bull it in order to dig in.

Steve
05-06-2011, 12:44 PM
What's your view on why 30 jobs? Is there a monetary amount you feel you would need to make from those jobs to justify the purchase of a tiller that costs $X amount of dollars?

Or is that figure more of an estimation?

LawnMoore
05-07-2011, 03:15 AM
Yeah I'm with you on this one. It is better to test the waters first rather than diving right in

even so, there are always unforseen mishaps in our line of work.

nnyparts
05-07-2011, 03:42 AM
I know most of the guys in our area that offer that service own a compact tractor with a 3pth tiller. They line up the jobs early and trailer the compact from job to job.

I agree that you would want to have the jobs lined up prior to going out and buying more equipment.

clandscaping44
05-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Thanks for your imput gentlemen... So far I sent out about 15 tilling flyers... sending out more today and see what kind of result I get. Keep your fingers crossed