PDA

View Full Version : How many of you guys work on other people's Mowers?

B-2 Lawncare
04-30-2011, 11:39 AM
I have become know as the John Deere guy around town, Now I am not a mechanic but I am a displaced fram kid who can fix most stuff. In my shop I have all the tools needed to do about anthing a guy needs, from welding to repalcing wheel bearings.
My question is: do any of you guys work on mowers for home owners? I have had several inquiries about working on some JD mowers. How do you charge and what do you charge. Now obviously I know how to charge for parts but what about shop time - how much an hour? I am thinking that $40 an hour is about right.

Ducke
04-30-2011, 11:58 AM
I am not a Mechanic either but I charge $45.00 hour plus parts.
Going rate at the local repair shops is $60.00 to $80.00 hour + parts

Steve
04-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Just a little while back, there was a member on here who started offering more and more mower repair services and had a mobile unit to run it from.

B-2 Lawncare
04-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Just a little while back, there was a member on here who started offering more and more mower repair services and had a mobile unit to run it from.

Wow thats great he must plan on trageting an affluent area. I would think that referals and a clean truck with awesome graphics would be some of the keys to sucess with a mobile shop like that. I am picturing a truck much like a uhaul with a lift gate and some kick *** graphics on it. How's that saying go? you have to keep up with the Jones's? I could see a day where he would pull up and go from one neighbor to the next.
One of the biggest hurdles that I am looking at is what to do with all the used oil? Right now there is a once a year collection for used oil here. Otherwise I have to take it to the dump. I think that they burn it there. I would love to recycle the oil but there is no place around here to.

Steve
05-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Could you use it in the winter time and burn it to heat your home/shop?

If you do a search on recycled oil burners, you will find a lot of options. If it gets cold in your area, this may be a way to go.

Here is an interesting site, if you are feeling creative with your metal fabricating. http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oilburners03.html

calvinslawnservice
05-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Wow thats great he must plan on trageting an affluent area. I would think that referals and a clean truck with awesome graphics would be some of the keys to sucess with a mobile shop like that. I am picturing a truck much like a uhaul with a lift gate and some kick *** graphics on it. How's that saying go? you have to keep up with the Jones's? I could see a day where he would pull up and go from one neighbor to the next.
One of the biggest hurdles that I am looking at is what to do with all the used oil? Right now there is a once a year collection for used oil here. Otherwise I have to take it to the dump. I think that they burn it there. I would love to recycle the oil but there is no place around here to.

You can take it to an auto zone or any parts store or even a wal mart with the tire center I think. But auto zone for sure.

B-2 Lawncare
05-27-2011, 07:49 AM
You can take it to an auto zone or any parts store or even a wal mart with the tire center I think. But auto zone for sure.

I would love to take it to a place like auto zone, but the closet is about 35 miles away wich at this point its not cost effective. When I was a kid we use to take the all the oil from the previous years oil changes on all the tractors and dump it on the county road. This was and i think is still leagal. But we no longer do that on the farm, the John deere dealer takes it. I am sure that you guys are like there is your answer,but i live on the other end of the state form the farm.
Not to worried about that right now, I am just trying to stay on top of my mowing. the boys and I worked 12 hrs yesterday trying to make up some time.
At this point i would just love to get every body on there regular schedule, Hell I would just like to mow all my clients in the same week. Yesterday I went to mow one of my larger properties, I have not been on in over a week. The grass was about eight inches high. To cut a long story short we mow 3 acres three times.
I also have a large landscaping job at a stand still because Of the unusually high amount of rain that we have had. All part of the job and loving it.

wandfsmall
05-27-2011, 04:36 PM
I would love to take it to a place like auto zone, but the closet is about 35 miles away wich at this point its not cost effective. When I was a kid we use to take the all the oil from the previous years oil changes on all the tractors and dump it on the county road. This was and i think is still leagal. But we no longer do that on the farm, the John deere dealer takes it. I am sure that you guys are like there is your answer,but i live on the other end of the state form the farm.
Not to worried about that right now, I am just trying to stay on top of my mowing. the boys and I worked 12 hrs yesterday trying to make up some time.
At this point i would just love to get every body on there regular schedule, Hell I would just like to mow all my clients in the same week. Yesterday I went to mow one of my larger properties, I have not been on in over a week. The grass was about eight inches high. To cut a long story short we mow 3 acres three times.
I also have a large landscaping job at a stand still because Of the unusually high amount of rain that we have had. All part of the job and loving it.

I did not think you could use oil on the roads anyplace in american anymore. the laws have changed a lot in the last few years do you realise it is against the law to adjust a carburetor if you have never been to school on it. or to change the fuel line with non carb compliant fuel line. depending on what state you live in these are 5 year jail terms and 10,000 in fines. The really bad thing is your neighbor can turn you in and keep part of the fine.

remember how easy people think it is to mow yards and how much redtape you have to do to get a legit business it is just the same for a mechanic it is not as easy as it looks from the outside. I encourage working on your own stuff but as for doing it for money your opening yourself up for liability issues.

B-2 Lawncare
05-27-2011, 09:14 PM
I did not think you could use oil on the roads anyplace in american anymore. the laws have changed a lot in the last few years do you realise it is against the law to adjust a carburetor if you have never been to school on it. or to change the fuel line with non carb compliant fuel line. depending on what state you live in these are 5 year jail terms and 10,000 in fines. The really bad thing is your neighbor can turn you in and keep part of the fine.

remember how easy people think it is to mow yards and how much redtape you have to do to get a legit business it is just the same for a mechanic it is not as easy as it looks from the outside. I encourage working on your own stuff but as for doing it for money your opening yourself up for liability issues.

Man I dont know where you are at. But I live in Wyoming, thank gosh.
Where commonsence still rules and.

wandfsmall
05-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Man I dont know where you are at. But I live in Wyoming, thank gosh.
Where commonsence still rules and.

I am in the united states this is national epa rules. take a look at this brochure. The full details are hard to explain but the gist of it is if you put the wrong fuel line or fuel cap for that engine or adjust the carburetor without a tach you could be subject to a $10,000 fine and or 5 years in jail. I am just trying to make sure you are informed.

here is a link so you can find more info. http://www.epa.gov/otaq/equip-ld.htm#regs

B-2 Lawncare
05-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I am in the united states this is national epa rules. take a look at this brochure. The full details are hard to explain but the gist of it is if you put the wrong fuel line or fuel cap for that engine or adjust the carburetor without a tach you could be subject to a $10,000 fine and or 5 years in jail. I am just trying to make sure you are informed.

here is a link so you can find more info. http://www.epa.gov/otaq/equip-ld.htm#regs

I didn't even look at your link because I know it doest apply here in Wyoming.
I wonder how you ever got started with you business, sound like you are afraid to take any chances. Don't worry about me the police in Wyoming have other things to worry about.

wandfsmall
05-29-2011, 06:55 PM
I didn't even look at your link because I know it doest apply here in Wyoming.
I wonder how you ever got started with you business, sound like you are afraid to take any chances. Don't worry about me the police in Wyoming have other things to worry about.

I am not afraid of taking chances, I do however like to be as well informed as I can to help me make the best business decisions that I can make. I am not saying you can not do repairs just figured you would want to know some of the things that can get you into trouble. I would have also suspected that with a full list of clients that you are doing yard service for that adding a repair service would cause headaches in timing as for everyone wanting mowers fixed right away and your regular customers wanting their yards mowed at the same time.

Steve
05-30-2011, 02:02 AM
I do appreciate the information, I would have never known this was even an issue!

B-2 Lawncare
05-30-2011, 10:25 AM
I am not afraid of taking chances, I do however like to be as well informed as I can to help me make the best business decisions that I can make. I am not saying you can not do repairs just figured you would want to know some of the things that can get you into trouble. I would have also suspected that with a full list of clients that you are doing yard service for that adding a repair service would cause headaches in timing as for everyone wanting mowers fixed right away and your regular customers wanting their yards mowed at the same time.

Thanks for tying to give, me the heads up.
I am always looking at new rev-new streams to add to my business. for instance I just picked up a contract with the power company brush-hoging some large acreages for them. And That's why I have a supervisor and employees to cover the weekly mowing. I also would turn down any work that I couldn't cover.

wandfsmall
05-30-2011, 06:43 PM
thanks for tying to give, me the heads up.
I am always looking at new rev-new streams to add to my business. for instance I just picked up a contract with the power company brush-hoging some large acreages for them. And That's why I have a supervisor and employees to cover the weekly mowing. I also would turn down any work that I couldn't cover.

I also was not trying to pick a fight, trust me I could benefit more then a lot of guys as I sell parts at my online store cheaper then anyone else I know of. And should have most of the stats I can put out and breakdowns available by spring of next year. I was just trying to post what you will have to deal with. Also if you can store enough oil you can sell it... but you will have to grow your service a lot to get to that bracket.