PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke help

jasonw
04-29-2011, 11:36 AM
I have a 2 stroke blower and string trimmer, both weedeater brand. The trimmer is almost new and the blower is a few years old. Both will not run unless the choke is about 3/4 throttle. On both the primer bulb is fine for one or two pushes but after that gets nearly impossible to push like there is a blockage somewhere. I tore down and cleaned both carbs but it did not help at all. Any ideas? I also have 4 stroke blowers and trimmers that I use but would like to at least use these as backups if I can get them to run.

Steve
04-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Both will not run unless the choke is about 3/4 throttle.

Have you been adjusting the settings on the carb at all previous to this?

jasonw
04-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Steve, no. Both are pre set at the factory. I dont even have the option to adjust the carb. The blower has a ton of hours on it over the past couple of years, worked like new one day and then the next would not run. The trimmer has maybe only 1 or 2 hours on it and again one day just sputtered out while using it and would not restart. I can feather the choke on both to try and keep them running but like I said, as hard as I can push on the primer bulb it just wont budge, It seems something is blocking the flow "out" of the bulb but after tearing both carbs apart and cleaning them good I saw no blockages.

SuperiorPower
04-29-2011, 04:01 PM
I have a 2 stroke blower and string trimmer, both weedeater brand.

This is the answer.

I have no respect for weedeater products. Some last a while, some a long time, others no time. I have seen a brand new featherlite that wouldn't run right. It was not assembled correctly. For the most part, I refuse to service them.

Yours, I have no idea. Its likely fuel related.

Good luck!

Steve
04-30-2011, 01:27 PM
It seems something is blocking the flow "out" of the bulb but after tearing both carbs apart and cleaning them good I saw no blockages.

Could the problem also be before the bulb?

wandfsmall
05-01-2011, 06:22 PM
you have to remove the Welch plugs to truly clean the carb, I bet you have a blockage and I also agree with SuperiorPower Weedeaters are known to last a short time before going down. In fact you can buy a carb almost as cheap as a carb kit. Post the model numbers of your trimmer and I will see what I can find.

Shark1611
05-08-2011, 12:46 AM
you have to remove the Welch plugs to truly clean the carb, I bet you have a blockage and I also agree with SuperiorPower Weedeaters are known to last a short time before going down. In fact you can buy a carb almost as cheap as a carb kit. Post the model numbers of your trimmer and I will see what I can find.

How about spark arrester being blocked?

Steve
05-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Any updates on this? Did you find anything more to get it running?

wandfsmall
05-09-2011, 06:54 PM
How about spark arrester being blocked?

sorry I had not replied earlier but the trouble pushing the primer bulb was why I was focusing on the carb as the problem. but yes a spark arrester blocked can sound like a carb problem.

Steve
05-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Could the spark arrester issue have any effect on the primer bulb?

wandfsmall
05-10-2011, 08:39 PM

Nope that is why I figured carb problem

Shark1611
05-11-2011, 10:14 PM

Sorry Steve I did not see that he was stating the issue with the primer bulb. I thought he had low power. Most of the time it's a cab kit that will take care of a bulb issue.

jklawncare
05-12-2011, 12:11 AM
thoght maybe i could find my problem in this thread..
just got a new efco trimmer..300$ trimmer
few hours on it
let it warm up before trimming at a house..
picked it up..
died

tried starting..nothing
tried again..nothing
tried cold star..nothing

took out spark plug to see if it was flooded..not really..let it dry anyways..
put plug back in..nothing

got a new plug and put it in..nothing

tested to see if it has spark
IT DOES...OW

took off the carb to clean it out..still nothing..

any suggestions? id hate to take it in to get repaired but i ran out of ideas..

Steve
05-12-2011, 03:26 PM
If it's got spark, the next thing I would be concerned with is if it's getting fuel in there. Is it possible something in the carb is clogged?

wandfsmall
05-12-2011, 11:50 PM
well first off test the spark, you can look to make sure the coil is fireing with an in-line or even an inductive tester, or you can also test with a voltage tester PET-4000 is what we use. was your plug wet when you pulled it out?