PDA

View Full Version : Am I Stupid!!!???

jacksonslawncare
04-28-2011, 10:02 PM
I am trying to start a landscaping business. I don't have much. I have a push mower, backpack blower, and a trimmer. I pull a small 5x8 trailer with my grand am and I charge $20 per mow. If I need a garden tractor I will rent one with 42" cut from Aarons. Please tell me I am not stupid. Any advice would help it has always been my passion to own my own company.

Thank u
Cassidy

bruces
04-28-2011, 10:53 PM
you are not stupid ! Many have started succesfull business's with less than you already have .Pay attention to your costs ,and charge a reasonably profitable rate for your services .

Hedgemaster
04-28-2011, 11:10 PM
You are only stupid if you are charging $20 when it should be $40.

;)

You can do it. It's not as easy as some would have you believe (unless you are operating illegally), but it's certainly not rocket science. With a little effort, you can make it happen. Oh, and a little money doesn't hurt either! (Good equipment is expensive)

Steve
04-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Welcome to our forum!

When do you determine or how do you determine if you need to rent a lawn tractor?

Also, can you show us a picture of your set up so far? I'd like to see it and I think it would inspire others to get started who dont have a truck yet.

shadrach
04-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Everybody starts somewhere. It seems like to get noticed to start with you 1) do work cheaper 2) do work that no one else wants to do or 3) have a network of people that you know to get work from. Market to people based on the equipment you have - make flyers and hit areas/subdivisions with smaller lots or lots of obstacles. "Senior discount" will probably get a lot of hits for you too.I would think with your price point it will be pretty easy to find work. Keep extra blades for your mower and keep them sharp. Nice looking signs on the trailer if you can. It is a word of mouth business - do high quality work and people will happily refer you to others. The main thing that people seem to underestimate is the amount of effort and marketing it takes to get customers - they don't come to you to start with, you have to go find them. Good luck.

Steve
04-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Everybody starts somewhere. It seems like to get noticed to start with you 1) do work cheaper 2) do work that no one else wants to do or 3) have a network of people that you know to get work from.

At what point do you find lawn care business owners get away from this or should they always keep this in mind?

shadrach
04-30-2011, 06:35 PM
2) should be "do work that no one else wants to do or is doing" . I think it is part of the business all the time. #1 is the thing you want to get away from as soon as possible but not always entirely.Its supply and demand up to a point - the first guy I get to hire me to mow his lawn is probably going to get a better price than the 20th guy. #2 you learn to make money with - if few others are willing to do a particular task( or equipped to do it) you can charge a premium for it. #3 is a group of people that should constantly expand - you start by getting work from people you know , eventually you get referred to people from the work that you have done.

brian'slawncare
04-30-2011, 08:10 PM
who dont have a truck yet

Like me ^^ LOL
I still ride my Turf Tracer around the neighborhood

I started off with everything you have but I didnt have a trailer/truck and I had a 33" mower

your off to a good start!:D

jacksonslawncare
05-01-2011, 11:12 PM
I think I make that decision based on how big the yard is. If the yard is big enough where it would take me more than an hour with a push mower than I rent one. I hate not having money lol. More advice guys please. What do I say to people when I do door to door?

Steve
05-04-2011, 03:29 PM
What do I say to people when I do door to door?
As you walk up to their door, you should get a look at the property and see if there are any issues that stand out which you could help them resolve.

Johnny_boy02
05-23-2011, 10:40 PM
At what point do you find lawn care business owners get away from this or should they always keep this in mind?

I have been doing this full time for about three months, my prices have been slowly creeping up as I learn. They still need to get higher, underbidding a few jobs makes you learn your value real quick.

Johnny_boy02
05-23-2011, 10:44 PM
I think I make that decision based on how big the yard is. If the yard is big enough where it would take me more than an hour with a push mower than I rent one. I hate not having money lol. More advice guys please. What do I say to people when I do door to door?

Is the foreclosure rate high in your area? Search out some property preservation companies in your area and apply. It does not pay a premium but it will get you some practice.

Steve
05-24-2011, 03:24 AM
underbidding a few jobs makes you learn your value real quick

Do you find there are certain types of jobs you tend to underbid more so than others? What kind of jobs do you find you have the most difficulty in bidding?

Robc
05-24-2011, 09:17 AM

Maybe if you do find yourself in a situation where you have to rent one try to line up 4-5 "big" lawns in one day and knock them out. then your making a better profit instead of renting it for one lawn and only making a few dollars...
maybe you already do this i dont know.

micah.ness@gmail.com
08-08-2011, 09:19 AM
yeah honestly just be careful with those low prices dont be a lowballer. Im 15 and the cheapest yard i do is 25 with i plan to ask for 30 next year.