PDA

View Full Version : New member and new business

JC Lawn Mowing
04-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Hi I am new to the forum and started my own business this year. I have worked in lawn care off and on most of my life and my dad owns a Hydroseeding company. The year has started out very well and I am enjoying every bit of it, i went and bought a new Ferris 36in Evolution and it is the coolest mower ever.
For all you newbies like myself who are looking for work, I sent out a blanket e-mail to all the local realtors in my area and got response like you wouldn't believe. Come to find out it is hard to find people to do lawn only a couple times, but I just want to make money and don't have the option of being picky yet maybe someday. Just my two sense. Happy Mowing

Steve
04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Welcome to our forum!

With your father in the business like that, did you consider helping him expand the business further? What was your view on that versus starting your own lawn care business?

JC Lawn Mowing
04-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Well I do work with my dad 3 or 4 days a week Hydroseeding but its not work every day. Not to mention I love the smell of fresh cut grass.

elrascal
04-27-2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks for sharing your story. It is always great to hear how people are having success

Steve
04-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Will he be able to to turn business your way? And you turn business his way?

Maybe if you all had similar business names, would this help make it look like one big company and would that help make the business grow faster?

JC Lawn Mowing
04-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Yes we do both refer each other and we both work for each other. I grew up on a dairy farm so working sun up till sun down is normal for me in fact I still do 3 of the morning milkings on the dairy so I get up at 3:30am and then go to work all day.

Steve
04-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Does your dad offer you much business advice? Do any of the lessons he taught you stand out that you could share with other start up businesses?

JC Lawn Mowing
04-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Ya my dad gives me advice when ever I need it, he has been a big help. It's funny he always told me to never be afraid to turn work down just because you don't want to lose out on the money. A couple weeks ago a guy called be to give him a bid on three of his rentals, so i went and took a look and gave him a price which he agreed on and I did the job. So the other day when I went back to do the lawns again it looked like they had not grown much. I mowed 2 of the lawns and when I got to the third job I could tell right away that some one else had mowed them,since the last time I had been there. So I packed up went home and called the owner to find out he had went there and mowed them so he could time the jobs in order to get me to lower my price. He actually told me what he would pay me to do the lawns! In the end I kindly told him my price was my price and a reasonable one at that and he would be paying me for the two jobs that I did due to his lack of common courtesy and not informing me he had already mowed. He agreed to pay but not have me back. Then I told him when he decides that he dosent want to mow it himself anymore or finds out some other prices feel free to call me. I always carry card from some of my competitors and dont hesitate to hand them out. In the end I got a email and he want me to do the job for what I quoted him in the first place.

JC Lawn Mowing
04-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Never be afraid of the competition and never hate the competition. I promote my competition quite often. When I look at a job and people want to to argue price I will move a little bit but my minimum is my minimum. I encourage people to get a second quote and will even give them phone #'s or business cards. And when I know some one just might not be able to pay what I am asking for but can't do the work them selves either I know of a guy who is way cheaper then me and does a damn fine job. He has gotten about 5 jobs from me so far this year. Not to mention when the competition find out you referred them it sure makes it hard to start running you down.

Steve
04-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Never be afraid of the competition and never hate the competition. I promote my competition quite often. When I look at a job and people want to to argue price I will move a little bit but my minimum is my minimum. I encourage people to get a second quote and will even give them phone #'s or business cards.

Do you suggest giving out the number of competitors that you know charge more than you or how do you choose who's card to hand out?

JC Lawn Mowing
04-29-2011, 12:31 PM
For the most part it is just my wife and I working together, and for a company with multiple employees it is hard to beat my prices. And no I don't know if the other guy is more expensive then me, I just don't worry about it. Every day some one decides they don't want to mow there yard any more. Got a call yesterday, lady said she needs help, went too her house and she had about 2 passes mowed and she said she didn't want to mow her own lawn anymore she was to old. So I got another account.

Steve
04-30-2011, 12:23 PM
That is fantastic! This year is revving up to be a great year for you.