PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping

Grasskickin
04-22-2011, 11:59 PM
We have a job that we got that is clearing out a bunch of brush and a couple of trees. i t has a bunch of leaves on the ground and they are wanting to have us clean the whole thing up so that way they can have a bigger yard. we plan on renting a bobcat so that we can clear it out. what is the best thing to do to make grass grow where it looks like it hasent growed in a few years. what is the best type a grass seed to bye to get it to grow there?? then there is some landscaping in the front of the house that we are going to take up and put down somthing new to make it look better what is the best thing for weed prevention??? and what is the best thing to use mulch or rock?? and what about the weed fabric what is the best way to lay it?? this is a learning experience for is here at grass kickin lawn care so all the information that we can get will help us out alot in the long run thanks Grass Kickin Lawn Care

cruzgardening
04-23-2011, 02:14 AM
We have a job that we got that is clearing out a bunch of brush and a couple of trees. i t has a bunch of leaves on the ground and they are wanting to have us clean the whole thing up so that way they can have a bigger yard. we plan on renting a bobcat so that we can clear it out. what is the best thing to do to make grass grow where it looks like it hasent growed in a few years. what is the best type a grass seed to bye to get it to grow there?? then there is some landscaping in the front of the house that we are going to take up and put down somthing new to make it look better what is the best thing for weed prevention??? and what is the best thing to use mulch or rock?? and what about the weed fabric what is the best way to lay it?? this is a learning experience for is here at grass kickin lawn care so all the information that we can get will help us out alot in the long run thanks Grass Kickin Lawn Care

honestly renting a bob cat would be a waste of money, why not get intouch with someone with a limb shredder you can hire him with his crew and you and him can work together to clear the brush and the trees, this guys do an amazing job and they don't charge that much, we hired one last year for the same job there was brush for about 200 feet all around and there were about 3 large trees all this was gone in about 5hrs my crew and his crew took it all out a total of 6 people working hard and the guy charge me $1000 i charged my client $3000 for the clean up i also landscaped his front yard and added sod to both the front and back yard, in my area Souther California the best sods are St Agustine, Bermuda, tall turf in that order from best to worse so it it all depends on your area. where do u live? how big is the lot? do you have a couple of chaingsawns and a crew that knows how to use them?

also to make grass grow where it has never grown u need to make sure to till the area where the grass is going to be planted and till in 4-8inches of compost or if the soil is clay ad a mixture of topsoil and compost so the sandy topsoil can reduce the clay in the area after you add this make sure to keep an eye on the weeds and use a weed preventer, what ever you do DO NOT try to plant grass seed here it will be overtaken by all the wild weed seeds in the area or if you do seed make sure to add more then suggested by the product provider to make sure ur succesfull and over seed 3 months later and fertilize to prevent weeds.

mulch and rock is an architecture and landscape option you need to know this before you start the job.

Steve
04-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Has this information changed your mind about the way you will do this job?

Grasskickin
04-25-2011, 11:01 PM
the thing about this job is that it is for family so we arent charging anything for labor we are just charging the price of material. the property that we are cleaning out is only about a half an acre that is all. so that is why we thought about just renting the bobcat to remove the brush and smoothe the ground out then we palnned on after we cleared it out with the bobcat we where going to rake it and put seed down then put straw over the seed but the thing is we are trying to get out of it the cheapest and quickest and least amout of labor possible

cruzgardening
04-26-2011, 02:37 AM
the thing about this job is that it is for family so we arent charging anything for labor we are just charging the price of material. the property that we are cleaning out is only about a half an acre that is all. so that is why we thought about just renting the bobcat to remove the brush and smoothe the ground out then we palnned on after we cleared it out with the bobcat we where going to rake it and put seed down then put straw over the seed but the thing is we are trying to get out of it the cheapest and quickest and least amout of labor possible

oh well then i don't know how much it is to rent a bobcat but if it is cheapest it works :) remember that you need to till the dirt and add organic material no matter what for the grass to grow at least decent!

Steve
04-26-2011, 11:02 AM
You should take some before and after pics to show us and also for your marketing!

Grasskickin
04-27-2011, 12:13 AM
now what do u mean by the organic matter cause it looks like the property hasent been touched in a long time and the soil is real dark that is unerneath all the leafs thats on the ground

cruzgardening
04-27-2011, 03:11 AM
now what do u mean by the organic matter cause it looks like the property hasent been touched in a long time and the soil is real dark that is underneath all the leafs thats on the ground

actually thats even better if its nice and composted u can actually add the seed but remember to watch out for the weeds and remember to add more seed then recommended and overseed at least 3 months after the seed first germinates to make the lawn look good oh and fertilize ASAP :)

best of luck to you

Grasskickin
04-27-2011, 10:44 PM
thanks for the help with this Grass Kickin'

cruzgardening
04-28-2011, 04:38 AM
thanks for the help with this Grass Kickin'

make sure to add pictures and to update us on the results :)

brian'slawncare
04-28-2011, 12:26 PM
take before and after shots