PDA

View Full Version : Dog Crap Service 101

CHEESE2009
04-19-2011, 05:26 PM
<center>Is it worth it? NOPE!

I've picked up dog crap before, no harm done.
When you turn it into work - your back will never be the same!

To be honest, I didn't smell a damn thing when picking up crap. That's the benefit of cutting grass (you can't smell anything for the rest of your life).

//

So I wanted to add this to my list of services thinking it's a quick buck - and it can't really be that difficult..... Wrong.

It's very difficult to pick up crap without making a bigger mess (smudging it into the lawn) regardless if it's solid or "fresh" mmmm!

<center>http://cdn03.cdn.socialitelife.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/guess-who-dog-poop-06142009-13-430x540.jpg</center>

I managed to do 50% of a job, each bag I used had 5 piles and I had used exactly 25 bags. I PICKED UP 125 DOG PILES!
... and there is still more to do!

The process doesn't take that much time, and is probably easier once you clear out the entire mess from winter and then there will be obviously less to pick up per later visits. Either way, I'm sure it will feel like a chore in between cutting grass.

//

The real problem is the back pain. It's not good man! You either have to squat every time you grab a nice handful of turd "oh please god don't rip the bag"

ADVICE: If you are doing this service, make sure you cut your nails! I was lucky today, but if I grabbed that crap any harder... I would have crap on my hands! The idea is to gently pick it up.

<center>http://tinyfarmblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/sum08_muddy_hands.jpg</center>

How I did it; I used a bag, put my hand inside (like a glove), grabbed the crap and finally inverted the bag. (like in the first picture above)

How I will do it next time; I will be using a dish glove which I can throw out immediately after use. I don't like the fact I had limited grip/vision with a bag and that I'm terrified if the bag(s) were to rip. A good dish glove will fix that!

I'll just scoop up the crap with my 'mighty glove', and throw it in a bag (I will also spend less on bags this way by filling them to the rim, haha)

OH, and never twist your hand palm facing upwards (crap in hand) - that's where the smell will kill you. And don't wear your good shoes!</center>

Tom53
04-19-2011, 05:34 PM
I use a small 2 gallon bucket lined with at least 2 to 3 plastic grocery sacks, and the pooper scooper and rake you can buy at walmart or any pet store.

Unless the poo is dried and stuck to the grass this usually does a good job if the grass isnt too long. If it is really stuck or the grass is to long, then I agree, and use playtex dishwashing gloves and do it by hand. The used gloves go in the bucket at the end of the day or washed off under my outside faucet if not too bad. I tie the grocery sacks shut by the handles and then they go into the garbage can, and I re-line the bucket for next time.

As far as the smell goes, I CANT get it out of my head,,,,,,sometimes it gags me to almost the point where i am ready to upchuck. I dont mind seeing blood, guts and crap or even feeling it like when I am hunting,,,,but once the smell gets to me it is puke city.

Who else here has a different way to do it?

CHEESE2009
04-19-2011, 05:41 PM
I've thought about using proper tools for the job, but my fear of crap forbids me to keep anything which has touched the brown (sometimes white, etc) substance.

I would hate to haul tools back home only to wash them.

//

I remember when I first got my hands covered in crap a few years back, I shouted "NOOOOOOOO!" in slow motion. As if if still had a chance to go back 5 seconds and avoid it - but I didn't have that chance, the crap had gotten the best of me on that dark....brown... day. Traumatizing!

Tom53
04-19-2011, 05:49 PM
:eek: ROTFLMAOPIMP

Ducke
04-19-2011, 07:25 PM
I have had lawns that I have refused to work on.
I leave a very polite note ask the customer to clean their yard and call and I will come back.
It is a health issue and I won't subject myself or my gear to someone else crap.
If you don't want to clean up after your Dog "GET A CAT" :rolleyes:

Hedgemaster
04-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Why not try a shovel? No bending required.

I guess you'd have to clean it though.

I dunno... my dog doesn't have soft poos - I just scoop them up with the shovel after he does his thing, and deposit the prize in a small, bag-lined bucket in the back corner of the yard. Never need to clean the shovel.

element009
04-19-2011, 09:12 PM
I think it's best to not include this in your list of services. Instead, tell any clients that have dogs up front that you will charge X amount to remove it. Make the amount high enough so they make sure they remove it. This way you will most likely avoid the job, but if you have to do it, you make nice dough. And definitely dispose of it in their garbage can.