PDA

View Full Version : professional or not ?

atylawncare
04-18-2011, 09:23 PM
If i let my workers or myself wear headphones while operating the equipment is that professional or not. How does that make us look ? Im just curious i heard someone talkin about it the other day .

Hedgemaster
04-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Personal opinion - not professional.

I saw a kid last season talking on a cell phone - hand to ear - the whole time he was mowing a lawn. I have no idea how he could even hold a conversation like that.
If I was his boss, I would have canned him on the spot.

picframer
04-18-2011, 10:08 PM
I personally do not allow it for a host of reasons including client perception and prospects walking or driving by.

bruces
04-18-2011, 10:11 PM
I generally think it looks bad,but a set of big honking safety earmuffs with a radio in it wouldnt be so bad .

Liberty Landscaping LLC
04-18-2011, 10:19 PM
I usually wear ear buds. Sometimes I wear headphones but normally ear buds. I don't see how it looks unprofessional. I would rather hear music then the loud engine.

element009
04-18-2011, 10:51 PM
I do the same. I wear ear buds and then I put the big red ear muffs over them so I can hear the music over the machines.

Robc
04-19-2011, 02:51 AM
I do the same. I wear ear buds and then I put the big red ear muffs over them so I can hear the music over the machines.

I do the same thing. for the first 2 years i never did. i did for the first time 2 days ago and it made the work i was doing a little more enjoyable - clearing blackberry bushes- but i was wondering how professional it looks.
Or how safe is it when you are mowing? You have to be able to hear - even over the mowers -people around you right?

Steve
04-19-2011, 08:32 PM
What about those ear protection devices that can act as headphones to listen to things?

Like these:

http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/petstore/pet-image-large/peltor-worktunes-am-fm-mp3-digital-hearing-protection_250669633736.jpg

Rexdale Grass
04-19-2011, 09:50 PM
I always wear the headphones with a radio and it also has a mic that pics up voices so I can hear people even with them on. I think safe is professional.

cruzgardening
04-20-2011, 01:28 AM
If i let my workers or myself wear headphones while operating the equipment is that professional or not. How does that make us look ? Im just curious i heard someone talkin about it the other day .

i usually use ear-buds with my Ipod and i wear this hat http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/images/product/main/HAT-DESERT-LEGIONAIRES.jpg :) so you really cant see the ear-buds i don't think its unprofessional only thing i would warn you and your help is to be 2x alert then if you did not wear them only because you or a client might be trying to communicate with you guys.

element009
04-20-2011, 07:28 AM
I think I've learned to use my eyes to check my surroundings more often when operating my equipment. I'm always looking around me to check if someone is in my way or trying to get my attention.

I think the main downside to listening to music while working is not that it stops you from hearing other people, but that it stops you from hearing the machine. Sometimes you can tell something is going wrong with a machine if it makes a slightly abnormal sound. Constantly listening to music could definitely hinder one's ability to diagnose machine problems.

MeanGreenCare
04-20-2011, 09:24 PM
I don't look down on it, but it would be classified as a safety issue. Me personally I think music improves your rate of work and to make it ten times enjoyable. Music = Life

cruzgardening
04-21-2011, 12:26 AM
I think I've learned to use my eyes to check my surroundings more often when operating my equipment. I'm always looking around me to check if someone is in my way or trying to get my attention.

I think the main downside to listening to music while working is not that it stops you from hearing other people, but that it stops you from hearing the machine. Sometimes you can tell something is going wrong with a machine if it makes a slightly abnormal sound. Constantly listening to music could definitely hinder one's ability to diagnose machine problems.

usually when i turn on my machines i can hear if there is anyting wrong with it, also even though you wear earbuds, i use sound cancelling ear buds, you can still hear the machines noise through them so i dont see that as a problem. Maybe cause i listen to NPR the whole day haha

Robc
04-21-2011, 01:21 AM
i agree it does make the day more enyoable. I usually end up haveing one ear bud in and one out so i can hear around me to