PDA

View Full Version : new at this

Creativemom1
04-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Hi, I'm Doreen and I inherited the WE CARE LAWN CARE bussiness from my brother. Tony passed away last Aug. He had the bussiness for at least 20 years. My husband, son & I are trying from scratch boy is it hard but loads of fun. We are in upstate ny and been here all are lives. I enjoy cooking, baking, sports, vaction, walking. I hope to learn some new things along the way. Doreen

Steve
04-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi Doreen,

Welcome to our forum!

I am very sorry to hear that about your brother. Had you ever worked with him in the past or was this all just all of a sudden? Did you get to start with some of his customers or did you have to start from scratch?

Give us some of the low down.

Creativemom1
04-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi, I never worked with my brother before and yes we have a few of his costomers not many. I made flyers and had guys get those out. Also sent for bussiness cards. Don't know what to charge for anything. My brother kept it all in his head nothing on paper. So any help would be nice. Doreen, creativemom1

Tom53
04-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Doreen, sorry to hear about your brother as well, and I wish you the best of luck.

There is a ton of information on this site, and read through all of the old posts, and it wouldn't hurt to go through the courses in the lawn care school on this site either. You can learn a lot.

Once you begin to get the feel of the business and know how things work a little better then it will be time to get serious about your advertising and promotional efforts. There are hundreds of ideas, but don't be afraid to be a
touch crazy, and use a lot of creativity with the advertising.

Good luck with it all, and there a lot of guys here who really know their stuff so don't be afraid to ask. I am pretty new also, and have learned a lot from the friendly folks on here.

Steve
04-21-2011, 11:27 PM
We see on average lawn care business owners charging around $45 per hour. So with that in mind, if a lawn takes an hour to mow, you might shoot for $45.

If you want to experiment with the lawn care calculators (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=43299#post43299) here, they should help you to better get a feel for estimating both mowing time and pricing.