PDA

View Full Version : are mulching blades worth the price

ff61-6@hotmail.com
04-18-2011, 10:08 AM
I was wondering what everyone thinks about mulching blades. I have never used any and was wondering if they make a big difference or not.

ovbarter@gmail.com
04-18-2011, 10:17 AM
I was wondering myself? Is all you have to do to convert a non mulching mower to a mulching mower is just change the blades?

poolplayer
04-18-2011, 10:21 AM
I was wondering what everyone thinks about mulching blades. I have never used any and was wondering if they make a big difference or not.

they make a ig difference for me when the grass is wet or taller than normal. the clippings are smaller with a mulching blade to.

poolplayer
04-18-2011, 10:22 AM
I was wondering myself? Is all you have to do to convert a non mulching mower to a mulching mower is just change the blades?

there is usually a set up that goes around the blades so the clippings actually get mulched.

jasonw
04-18-2011, 12:18 PM
I could not say for sure as all my mowers came with mulching blades. I can say I am happy with the results my mowers produce if that means anything.

Tom53
04-18-2011, 12:29 PM
My tractor mower came with mulching blades, but to mulch I have to add a couple of attachments and actually close off the discharge chute. The old push mower I had for home was a mulcher, and it didnt even have a discharge chute.

The lower part of the blade cuts the grass and lifts it so the sharp upper portion of the cutting blade can cut it again, and again (not sure how it works). Circulates the grass I guess until it is chopped up fine before it drops. Cant do that if the chute is not closed off, it needs to create the suction or vortex or whatever it is.

I am sure there is someone here who knows a heck of a lot more about it, and these are just guesses on my part.

picframer
04-18-2011, 02:14 PM
I run the Gator High Lift mulching blades on all the gear and swear by them, every client we do work for, because we do very little mowing but over 120 properties get sprayed, almost all of those clients are running Gators also.

wandfsmall
04-18-2011, 04:38 PM
for my commercial clients Gator Blades sell 2 to 1 over regular blades.. But most clients run a regular set during the early spring.

Steve
04-19-2011, 07:17 PM
for my commercial clients Gator Blades sell 2 to 1 over regular blades.. But most clients run a regular set during the early spring.

What kinds of conversions must be done to use the gator blades?

Also, what is your view on why most use regular blades in early spring?

When do you see them used the most?