PDA

View Full Version : Sizzling in mufler and?????

jasonw
04-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Ok so everyone may remember the BearCat field and brush mower I got for free that was in very sorry shape. I seem to have worked out most of the kinks in it. It actually ran for 8 solid hours today which is a first. Normally it runs for 10 minutes and then breaks. Anyway I noticed today once it was good and warmed up it would be hard to start. Also if you tipped it back to change the line on it you can hear something boiling in the muffler. Now when its tipped back the cylinder is up so I know its not oil leaking in the muffler, maybe fuel? Any ideas? It really dose not seem to be causing any trouble I am more just wandering what it is.

jklawncare
04-17-2011, 11:25 PM
im thinking it owuld be something with the exhaust port..it wont be stuck open..otherwise it wouldnt run..there would be no compression stroke..but if its a problem..id take is out and grind the seats down..i think it may be worn and its allowing a little to leak out..

jasonw
04-18-2011, 11:16 AM
I dont see it as a big enough problem to go to that kind of expense. I mean all it done is make a sizzling noise when I tip it up. I wander what it could be leaking into the exhaust though? For sure not oil. I can understand it being oil if I tipped it the other way. Maybe unburned gas? hmmm.

Steve
04-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Sure it could be gas, maybe show us a picture of the machine tilted back and we can see what might get in there based on the placement of everything.

jasonw
04-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Here it is, as you can see with it tilted back the engine is upright so oil would not leak in there and also the tank can NOT gravity feed when it is tilted back
http://www.foothillherps.com/images/mower.JPG
http://www.foothillherps.com/images/mower1.JPG

Steve
04-20-2011, 12:14 PM
It's still hard to tell. Can you smell gas near the muffler?

jasonw
04-20-2011, 12:32 PM
No gas smell at all, one thing I forgot about is when I start it back up there is a puff of smoke or 2 that come from the muffler, maybe it is oil leaking from the head into the exhaust or something.

SuperiorPower
04-21-2011, 01:12 PM
No gas smell at all, one thing I forgot about is when I start it back up there is a puff of smoke or 2 that come from the muffler, maybe it is oil leaking from the head into the exhaust or something.

Most likely it is oil. It could be the oil is leaking past the piston rings.

I am wondering though, does it do it only when you park it "flat" (with the trimmer head on the ground) or even if you park it like it is in the picture? If it only does this when you park it flat I would try parking it with the handle down.

wandfsmall
04-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Most likely it is oil. It could be the oil is leaking past the piston rings.

I am wondering though, does it do it only when you park it "flat" (with the trimmer head on the ground) or even if you park it like it is in the picture? If it only does this when you park it flat I would try parking it with the handle down.

Hey I just noticed this thread.. I am assuming this is the same machine your looking for a tank for. I have a feeling you would be better off with a new engine. Let me know the crank size as I might have one of my cheaper engines left and I will see about shipping for it.