PDA

View Full Version : 2% grass 98% mulch

jklawncare
04-16-2011, 05:59 PM
I got a request for an estimate on a lawn today

HUGE yard..but it would take about 10 minutes to mow it..so i figured id charge 25$ to mow it a week

and then he said he wanted the weeds gone..so as i was talking to him i said there isnt much that would need to be weedwacked so i said 30 a week

he tells me no..no weedwacking, i want the weeds pulled out of my mulch every week, i said..im not sure how I would go about this and I would get back to him.

I told him that i would charge 25 to mow and then probably my hourly for the weeds. We talked about ways to get rid of them almost completely, but he wants them pulled every week. Its a Big house in a Big rich neighborhood and I would love to make this look good and advertise in there.

What do you think i should do? how would you charge this?

Steve
04-17-2011, 11:20 AM
How big of an area would you have to be pulling the weeds from? How long do you feel this would take to perform each week?

jklawncare
04-17-2011, 12:41 PM
How big of an area would you have to be pulling the weeds from? How long do you feel this would take to perform each week?

This is why i bid per hour seperately than the mow bid. I have no idea how long it would take and i didn't take any measurements. If you think it would be better to charge a solid price and measure it all out, i can go back and get some measurements.

If i could judge a solid time i would bid it to then, but it all depends on how many weeds grow weekly. Its a hugee area..so i think even for the littler ammounts..it would be around 90 minutes to finish...It could be a HUGE money maker for me..
but i just have to get the bid and see if theres an easier way to charge it and give him a better idea of what he would be paying

I charged 25 to mow a week
and 30 hourly to pull

cruzgardening
04-18-2011, 05:50 AM
This is why i bid per hour seperately than the mow bid. I have no idea how long it would take and i didn't take any measurements. If you think it would be better to charge a solid price and measure it all out, i can go back and get some measurements.

If i could judge a solid time i would bid it to then, but it all depends on how many weeds grow weekly. Its a hugee area..so i think even for the littler ammounts..it would be around 90 minutes to finish...It could be a HUGE money maker for me..
but i just have to get the bid and see if theres an easier way to charge it and give him a better idea of what he would be paying

I charged 25 to mow a week
and 30 hourly to pull

hey you said this was a rich area right? well mayb make this client and loose a bit of money make his house look amazing and let him know that you will charge him less then any of his other bids only if he allows you to leave a garden sign on his lawn to advertise your Name on that side of town its a win win situation... but its up to you :)

jklawncare
04-18-2011, 08:20 AM
hey you said this was a rich area right? well mayb make this client and loose a bit of money make his house look amazing and let him know that you will charge him less then any of his other bids only if he allows you to leave a garden sign on his lawn to advertise your Name on that side of town its a win win situation... but its up to you :)

Yeah that'd be a good idea..hopefully along the way i can talk my way into doing a mulch job for him :D that'd bring in some good extra cash..

i think ill tell him ill drop my mow price from 25 a month to 15 for him (my overhead is around 13-14 bucks..so even though its 5$ less than my minimum of 20$

im still making a small profit..but i know ill have the weeding to raise that price up..

cruzgardening
04-19-2011, 01:53 AM
Yeah that'd be a good idea..hopefully along the way i can talk my way into doing a mulch job for him :D that'd bring in some good extra cash..

i think ill tell him ill drop my mow price from 25 a month to 15 for him (my overhead is around 13-14 bucks..so even though its 5$ less than my minimum of 20$

im still making a small profit..but i know ill have the weeding to raise that price up..

why not tell him you will drop it if he can recommend you to his neighbors if you get 2 on the block u can give him one month free? but stick to your minimum like glue don't drop it for anyone, its better to give them a discount ;)

Robc
04-19-2011, 02:44 AM

Do a good job and let your work do the talking for you. Then all you have to do is recommend a mulch job when the time is right...And the rest falls into place with the neighbors. It happens all the time...

Yeah and stick to your minimum at least just in case something doesnt work out the way you were hoping you wont be kicking yourself every time you go there

jklawncare
04-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Do a good job and let your work do the talking for you. Then all you have to do is recommend a mulch job when the time is right...And the rest falls into place with the neighbors. It happens all the time...

Yeah and stick to your minimum at least just in case something doesnt work out the way you were hoping you wont be kicking yourself every time you go there

I honestly wouldnt be kicking myself, I would be making a large profit.
I can keep my minimum
but even if i did drop it
the weeding would MORE than make up for it..

I think i may call back today and say i was handing out flyers in the area yesterday and i re-though about our estimate..its been 3 days since the estimate was given ..do you think i should wait longer?

Steve
04-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Call back and see if they have any further questions.

Keep us posted on how this goes.