PDA

View Full Version : Customer calls police

jklawncare
04-13-2011, 09:22 PM
I have a customer (not really, we have no formal documentation signed of anything) Heres what happened

Guy calls for estimate on aeration
I show up and give estimate
He accepts and gives me contact information

I tell him when its scheduled and he says he will pay after work is completed
I agree to this

I call on day scheduled to tell him its going to be pushed back due to the ammount of rain i have been recieving (as i did with all other customers)
Call back to give rescheduled day..unfortunatelly it rained then too..

I called back to reschedule..its to be scheduled this saturday
He calls me today at 9:30 PM to tell me that if its not done by saturday
hes going to call the police
and the better business beureau

Whats your views on this?
we have no record of even agreeing to provide these services besides verbally
he has not paid in advance
and if a cop talks to me..im just some kid out trying to make a little extra cash (even though i run this company with full intention of being a business)

im not a licensed company

whats the danger in if this happens?
what should i do to handle it?
should i call saying i cant work for him?
or should i just do the work and get paid cash?

give me some advice im not sure of what to do..

bruces
04-13-2011, 09:49 PM
since you havent taken any money from him,and have nothing in writing,he cant do anything .It might be fun to ask him if he needs the # for 911 .

jklawncare
04-13-2011, 09:53 PM
since you havent taken any money from him,and have nothing in writing,he cant do anything .It might be fun to ask him if he needs the # for 911 .

I was more concerned about the BBB seeing as im not licensed or anything, but I am a minor and i don't believe i'm CURRENTLY making enough revenue to be considered and illegal company.

Should i do it anyways but ask for payment in cash when i arrive at the property? Or should i call back tomorrow and see what happens when i say i refuse service.

jklawncare
04-13-2011, 10:15 PM
I double checked..turns out i made an invoice for him on the aeration. But im 99.9999999% positive i never gave it to him..(a lesson i just learned..have a seperate folder for given paperwork and paperwork to be given instead of just making a second copy for myself)

but even if i did..i never gave a sales receipt..and theres no proof of payment to me.

Would this change anything? I just need opinions and advice haha.

bruces
04-13-2011, 10:33 PM
I dont know the american laws with the bbb ,but guaranteed I wouldnt do the job for him at this point,this guy sounds like a troublemaker to me .

afpettijohns
04-13-2011, 11:04 PM
I'd have to agree with bruces. Just let this one go. The BBB is a consumer organization not a government one. It is a for profit business that very few even look at. They get a complaint, send you the complaint and you have a chance to refute that complaint. Your future customers, if they check with the BBB will get the complaint and your reply to the complaint. If you are justified in how you dealt with it? your customer will see that and ignore it. The BBB is just a business rating system, not the eyes of the FBI. Your fine, just ignore his calls and don't do the job.

iCutGrass
04-13-2011, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't waste any more time being worried. I have had thousands of clients in a few different niches and have seen my fair share of interesting events. This guy is full of it. Most threats like that go 99% no where. He doesn't have a leg to stand on and he's tossing out idle threats that hold no water.

Call the police because a contractor doesn't show up? Come on! What do you think the police will think of him? For one, they DO keep records of calls and that will look foolish on his part.

As for the BBB:

They are a private organization
They are a non-profit organization
They have no regulatory powers... at all
They have over 100 regional branches all looking to get $ from businesses to participate in their Accredited Membership program.

Since you are a minor, if someone stiffs you for the bill, I don't think you'll have any recourse because adults can't legally go into contracts with minors in your situation.(my non-lawyer opinion) However, if someone gets hurt as a result of your negligence, doing work or whatever, any liability will fall on your parents.

Wear eye protection at all times. Be mindful of the direction of the discharge shoot so it's not "aiming" at anyone and keep people away from your work area.

iCutGrass

Hedgemaster
04-14-2011, 12:04 AM
ROFLMAO!

Can you imagine that phone call?

"911, what is the nature of your emergency?"

"This kid said he would aerate my lawn, and he keeps rescheduling due to the weather!"

"OK, sir. Remain calm, all units have been dispatched."

"Thank you. You're going to make him aerate my lawn, right?"

"Sir, the SWAT team is en route, and they are trained for this situation - it happens all the time - and, yes, they will attempt to get him aerate your lawn."

"Will it be done TODAY?"

"Sir, every effort will be made to resolve this conflict peacefully, but occasionally, the actor does not comply, and is shot dead - unfortunately, we can not guarantee that your lawn will be aerated today."

"Nevermind then, I'm calling the FBI!!!"

(click)

ruh-roh!

:D

afpettijohns
04-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Where you recording my last customers 911 call? I s**t you not, that is exactly what happened.

ROFLMAO!

"This kid said he would aerate my lawn, and he keeps rescheduling due to the weather!"

"Sir, the SWAT team is en route, and they are trained for this situation - it happens all the time - and, yes, they will attempt to get him aerate your lawn."

"Will it be done TODAY?"

"Sir, every effort will be made to resolve this conflict peacefully, but occasionally, the actor does not comply, and is shot dead - unfortunately, we can not guarantee that your lawn will be aerated today."

(click)

ruh-roh!

afpettijohns
04-14-2011, 12:26 AM
The opinion that they are a for profit organization was that they do force many companies to pay. Not that they are legally a for profit organization. You can guarantee the CEO is making a handsome wage. LOL Thanks for your insite on this iCutGrass.

See you in the funny pages.

I wouldn't waste any more time being worried. I have had thousands of clients in a few different niches and have seen my fair share of interesting events. This guy is full of it. Most threats like that go 99% no where. He doesn't have a leg to stand on and he's tossing out idle threats that hold no water.

Call the police because a contractor doesn't show up? Come on! What do you think the police will think of him? For one, they DO keep records of calls and that will look foolish on his part.

As for the BBB:

They are a private organization
They are a non-profit organization
They have no regulatory powers... at all
They have over 100 regional branches all looking to get $ from businesses to participate in their Accredited Membership program.

Since you are a minor, if someone stiffs you for the bill, I don't think you'll have any recourse because adults can't legally go into contracts with minors in your situation.(my non-lawyer opinion) However, if someone gets hurt as a result of your negligence, doing work or whatever, any liability will fall on your parents.

Wear eye protection at all times. Be mindful of the direction of the discharge shoot so it's not "aiming" at anyone and keep people away from your work area.

iCutGrass

CHEESE2009
04-14-2011, 10:08 AM
I would have said, "Go f' yourself and stop wasting my time. You are whining to the wrong person - grow up and find someone else who's dumb enough to take you as a customer".

End of story.

bruces
04-14-2011, 11:49 AM
thats exactly the call I envisioned Hedge ,problem is I really dont think he know's the number to 911 .

cruzgardening
04-14-2011, 12:10 PM
I have a customer (not really, we have no formal documentation signed of anything) Heres what happened

I agree to this

I call on day scheduled to tell him its going to be pushed back due to the ammount of rain i have been recieving (as i did with all other customers)

and if a cop talks to me..im just some kid out trying to make a little extra cash (even though i run this company with full intention of being a business)

you got other costumers unless this one was going to pay higher price then the others, at elast twice as much, then you should just walk away and if the cops do come just tell them you did the job and the costumer never paid... how can they notice 2 months after the aeration has been done??? but then again just walk away and get other clients have fun

andersontl2
04-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Wonder if he calls the cops if his paper is late in morning?

jklawncare
04-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Wonder if he calls the cops if his paper is late in morning?

hahaha thats really funny
also
thanks for all the help and advice guys, i think I may do the job if he pays me cash when i pull up to the house. Otherwise I won't do it and if he calls again I'll turn him down. The only reason ill hold onto him is because i overbid it and its worth the small amount of work for the money.

bruces
04-14-2011, 04:37 PM
^^^ thats just the saddest post I have read in a longtime .The guy threatens you with the police and the better business bureau,yet your still going to do the job for him .I do wish you luck,and hope you know what your doing ,but there aint no way I would stop at this guys house even if its on fire and I had the fire truck .
Good Luck !

jklawncare
04-14-2011, 04:40 PM
^^^ thats just the saddest post I have read in a longtime .The guy threatens you with the police and the better business bureau,yet your still going to do the job for him .I do wish you luck,and hope you know what your doing ,but there aint no way I would stop at this guys house even if its on fire and I had the fire truck .
Good Luck !

I dont know im beside myself on it, I honestly need the money to help out with starting the season, but i don't want for him to win either. I'm so tempted to call him and decline but the money is the only big thing standing in my way as its not alot of work but it is alot of money.

Paineless Creations
04-14-2011, 11:16 PM
OMG so funny!!!!

ROFLMAO!

"Will it be done TODAY?"

(click)

ruh-roh!

psparaco
04-14-2011, 11:29 PM
tel him to call the police and mention you'll be calling his mother so he gets a sturn azz whooping. lmao

iCutGrass
04-15-2011, 02:26 AM
Good Luck !

bruces,

In my younger days when I was a real tiger, I would have thought the same thing. However, experience has showed me when I end up doing a job after being treated like that, the guy changes his tune. My REAL opinion of him hasn't changed, as I got the ******'s money now, LOL!, but I have accomplished several things:

1.) I got his money.
2.) If he wants me to work again, it's going to co$t MORE.
3.) He just may throw a few referrals my way.

=======================
The opinion that they are a for profit organization was that they do force many companies to pay. Not that they are legally a for profit organization. You can guarantee the CEO is making a handsome wage. LOL Thanks for your insite on this iCutGrass.

afpetijohns,

If you look closely, I hinted what you said already. In the 4 things I mentioned about the BBB, #2 I said "non-profit", but then at #3, I said they have over a 100 branches across the US and are looking for $ from businesses. So hence, they are looking to profit, just not enough to claim for taxes. LOL! Just enough to support the "fine" people that work there... like the "CEO". :D

So we are in agreement there. Often my answers do have readers in mind who are not participating and may gain knowledge from some of my scribblings, etc, and my reply wasn't necessarily directed at any one in particular.

Später Mensch!

iCutGrass

wandfsmall
04-15-2011, 10:03 AM
bruces,

In my younger days when I was a real tiger, I would have thought the same thing. However, experience has showed me when I end up doing a job after being treated like that, the guy changes his tune. My REAL opinion of him hasn't changed, as I got the ******'s money now, LOL!, but I have accomplished several things:

1.) I got his money.
2.) If he wants me to work again, it's going to co$t MORE.
3.) He just may throw a few referrals my way.

=======================

That is some good advice, everyone that knows him probably knows he is an jerk so a good reference from him shows your one hell of a person to anyone that does talk to him. And hell at least you get his money and he will stop harassing you over this project:)

best cut
04-15-2011, 01:28 PM

I agree to this

ignorance is bliss. his business is not worth the trouble

brian'slawncare
04-15-2011, 02:53 PM
I see what you mean by you need the money. Whats the worst that will happen if you do it?

jklawncare
04-15-2011, 11:14 PM
HAHA so it started to rain today and will continue throughout tomorrow, I will be moving my aeration and dethatching to sunday and ill do it sunday wether its raining or not. But i can't wait to call this guy back. I was going to do it just because i told him i scheduled it for saturday and because i need the money, but if he says one thing then its Bye Bye.

To answer your question brian, nothing would happen if i DID do it. He'd probly find some way to complain but he would have to manage, and i would get paid..cash..i dont trust a check from anyone who seems to be a PITA and dosnt have an agreement signed.

You know what, This is my first time aerating and ive only done one other dethatching. I should wait till its dryer right? that way the soil dosnt cave and the thatch is easier to grab...right? or should i just do it in the rain..

cruzgardening
04-16-2011, 12:39 AM
HAHA so it started to rain today and will continue throughout tomorrow, I will be moving my aeration and dethatching to sunday and ill do it sunday wether its raining or not. But i can't wait to call this guy back. I was going to do it just because i told him i scheduled it for saturday and because i need the money, but if he says one thing then its Bye Bye.

To answer your question brian, nothing would happen if i DID do it. He'd probly find some way to complain but he would have to manage, and i would get paid..cash..i dont trust a check from anyone who seems to be a PITA and dosnt have an agreement signed.

You know what, This is my first time aerating and ive only done one other dethatching. I should wait till its dryer right? that way the soil dosnt cave and the thatch is easier to grab...right? or should i just do it in the rain..

the aeration and thatching job should both be done when the soil is fairly dry be cautious when you remove thatch so u don't start tilling instead of thatching haha good luck man

ProGreen
04-26-2011, 05:19 PM
I'd tell that goon to comb his beard. People like that are retarded, and I guarantee you when you finish, he will not be satisfied, and may not even pay. If you really need the money, do it, but if not don't ever call him again. Also, make sure he signs a contract (I'm not sure if that was the purpose of the invoice?) before you start.

I had a BBB representative call me a few days ago asking about my business because "supposedly" some person called asking about my company. Turns out that if you aren't registered with the BBB already, there isn't one thing a person can do to harm your reputation. You have to be registered to get reviews and bad reports etc. THEN, the rep informed me that for the low price of $375 dollars yearly, I could get the BBB accredited business badge. Sounds to me like you pay for the "good review and reputation" badge. When he said that I should have know he was just trying to sell me something.

elrascal
04-27-2011, 12:54 AM
this guy sounds like a total nut case. You should drop him like a hot potato

bruces
04-27-2011, 12:34 PM
this threads a few weeks old ,what was the end result ?

cruzgardening
04-28-2011, 03:36 AM
this threads a few weeks old ,what was the end result ?

hope it went smooth :)

jklawncare
04-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Sorry..i havnt seen the thread up in a while..
I called him on the day i went out to do the other jobs..
no answer
i left a voicemail saying i would need cash payment before i did the job for him since he wasnt on contract with me.

Never got a call back
Yesterday..
i got out of wrestling practice afterschool and got a new voicemail..
it was him
saying
he decided that he and his neighbor were going to do it together..
almost 2 weeks later..im too lazy to see how far back this actually was haha

Steve
04-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Well I am glad, at the end of the day, no one got arrested for failing to mow :)

bruces
04-28-2011, 12:33 PM
I thought it was for failing to show ...to mow ?

iCutGrass
04-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Turns out that if you aren't registered with the BBB already, there isn't one thing a person can do to harm your reputation. You have to be registered to get reviews and bad reports etc.

That doesn't sound right to me. A business can get lots of bad reviews regardless if they're registered with the BBB or not. Case in point...

A landscape business comes to my home and gives an estimate to do work. I say go ahead. They ride over my septic, of which I pointed out prior and told them about it, but they don't do anything to resolve my collapsed septic drainage. There's nothing stopping me from filing a dispute with the BBB. That business doesn't have to be registered there for me to file a complaint.

Most likely people will only know a business reputation "after the fact" when they do go looking around, but not before, because they have no reason to check prior.

iCutGrass

jsslawncare
04-29-2011, 09:05 PM
WHO CARES! Call both if you wish. Nobody looks at the BBB. You do need to do your best at keeping your word. Was it a light mist or raining hard? I work in the rain if I have to.

ProGreen
04-29-2011, 10:55 PM
That doesn't sound right to me. A business can get lots of bad reviews regardless if they're registered with the BBB or not. Case in point...

A landscape business comes to my home and gives an estimate to do work. I say go ahead. They ride over my septic, of which I pointed out prior and told them about it, but they don't do anything to resolve my collapsed septic drainage. There's nothing stopping me from filing a dispute with the BBB. That business doesn't have to be registered there for me to file a complaint.

Most likely people will only know a business reputation "after the fact" when they do go looking around, but not before, because they have no reason to check prior.

iCutGrass

That may very well be the case where you live, but in NC according to the BBB representative there could be dozen's of "said company name" that did "this" to my yard. All he said was that if that company isn't registered how are you going to tell on them?

I could easily make up a story that Progreen cut my Satellite dish cable while mowing in Wilmington, if they aren't registered, which Progreen are you talking about exactly??

SuperiorPower
05-02-2011, 01:47 PM

Seriously????????????????

SuperiorPower
05-02-2011, 01:50 PM
you got other costumers unless this one was going to pay higher price then the others, at elast twice as much, then you should just walk away and if the cops do come just tell them you did the job and the costumer never paid... how can they notice 2 months after the aeration has been done??? but then again just walk away and get other clients have fun

Nothing like building your business on honesty and integrity. :eek: