PDA

View Full Version : Google Places

Upscale2
04-13-2011, 04:16 PM
As many of you know Yellow Page ads are not very effective, and they are quite pricey.
Almost 90% of all searches on line are for Local Businesses. Simply said people go online to find a product or service.

Here is what I do:
Keyword Research relevant to your business
Google Places Company Verification
Google Places Development
Over 20 Online and Mobile Directory Listings with Citations
Backlinking Strategies for better Online Optimization
Reviews
Analytics for your Listings
And a few other Tweaks to get your business found!
Monthly refinement and editing

Google has recognized the power of Social Media and wants to contend with other SM sites. That is why they have changed Google Places effective December 2010, continuing to present day.

Don't waste your money with the Yellow Pages or driving around with flyers, GET ONLINE! I can Help.

My regular charge is $799 and $150 month upkeep.
My special price for GopherHaul is $699 and $100 month.

I will take only 1 company per state as I feel this should give each company exclusivity.

Hedgemaster
04-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Your delivery needs improvement.

What are you "selling" exactly?

Upscale2
04-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Google Places................and all of the information in BOLD.

Hedgemaster
04-13-2011, 06:27 PM
OK, so I pay you to place my info on Google Places. (Which costs nothing)

You then "optimize" my listing so that more people actually SEE it...

See what I'm doing here? You need to "sell" it. I didn't even know what "Google Places was until a few weeks ago. Surely I'm not the only one.
Just trying to help out.

On a side note, maybe folks like yourself are making money because folks like me can't get their Places listing to even show up, and there is no support help available from Google.
My freaking listing is complete, yet it says I need to "verify" it. It was verified when I created it, so I have no idea what they want me to do now.
You get what you pay for.

jymie
04-14-2011, 02:09 AM
OK, so I pay you to place my info on Google Places. (Which costs nothing)

You then "optimize" my listing so that more people actually SEE it...

See what I'm doing here? You need to "sell" it. I didn't even know what "Google Places was until a few weeks ago. Surely I'm not the only one.
Just trying to help out.

On a side note, maybe folks like yourself are making money because folks like me can't get their Places listing to even show up, and there is no support help available from Google.
My freaking listing is complete, yet it says I need to "verify" it. It was verified when I created it, so I have no idea what they want me to do now.
You get what you pay for.

Go to this page (http://www.google.com/support/places/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=75569)for info on verifying your google places listing

Hedgemaster
04-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Go to this page (http://www.google.com/support/places/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=75569)for info on verifying your google places listing

That is nothing more than an explanation of the different methods of verifying... which I already did (by mail - it was my only option) in order to create my listing in the first place.

I'm trying to get help by using their "forum", but I think it's pretty crappy that Google doesn't offer any sort of means of contacting them when you have a problem. They hype it up and tell you how great it is, but then offer no help after you start the process.

Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll stop there.

Steve
04-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Are you able to put together a site for the business owner too?

Upscale2
04-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Hedgemaster, so you received a code by mail, have you loaded it into the verification form online? If not the postcard tells you the url and what to do. As far as getting your business to be listed at the top, yes, that is what I do.

Hedgemaster
04-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Hedgemaster, so you received a code by mail, have you loaded it into the verification form online? If not the postcard tells you the url and what to do. As far as getting your business to be listed at the top, yes, that is what I do.

LOL. Yeah. I want to scream because I keep saying exactly that (here and on the Google Places forum).

I waited (only took a few days) for the postcard to arrive. I followed the steps as shown - worked exactly as shown on the card. I created my page, minus photo/video (then added my logo to start), and I don't show up on the list of "places" when I search by Lawn Service Pittsburgh, or any other more local variation.

This is the message that appears on the top of "my listing".

Reminder: Your account requires action

You have a listing that has not been verified. Learn how to verify your listing and help your customers find you today!

Makes no sense, because I entered the number that was sent to me. Otherwise I would not have been able to create my listing.

Seems I'm not alone. The same topic is posted by many people on their forum.
A member named SQLPerformance left this reply in regards to my question about my problem:
I am saying the message is not up to data

Go to google maps and search for your entry

If it shows there but not in google Searches you are being rejected at search time and you need to read my first post to the pinned post about Rejected at the top of the forum

He's British, I believe, so I have no idea what "the message is not up to data" means.

I haven't had a chance to try to find this "pinned post" he referred to yet, but I DID look myself up on Google MAPS - I typed in "oak leaf lawn service 15235", and I show up there - whatever that means.

If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. If not, I'll figure it out eventually. It's just frustrating that there is nobody at Google to contact.

Kirk
Oak Leaf Lawn Service

Upscale2
04-15-2011, 07:17 AM
Hedgemaster what is the name of your company? HedgeMaster? If so I will look it up.

The last thing you might try is redoing your listing. Delete the first one and try again.

I will try to find you listing and give you my thoughts.

Hedgemaster
04-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Hedgemaster what is the name of your company? HedgeMaster? If so I will look it up.

The last thing you might try is redoing your listing. Delete the first one and try again.

I will try to find you listing and give you my thoughts.

"Oak Leaf Lawn Service", as mentioned above. ;)
I'm just outside of Pittsburgh, PA. (Penn Hills to be precise - 15235)

Like I mentioned, my listing does appear when you search Google MAPS.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Southern Oasis
04-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Good thread. I think there are a lot of people that need to know that there are things out there like this to promote their business.

Upscale2
04-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Hedgemaster, your Google Places listing is owner verified, but you are showing up in the basement.

You need to add as much information to your Place page as possible. Add photos and videos. Hours of operation, location etc....

There is a lot to this GP stuff, I took a 3 day course on it last month. It really is a specialized niche. Google doesn't help out alot with customer service, so people are out there to help business advertise.

I do need help with some graphics for different customers I have so maybe we can trade your expertise for mine.

Hedgemaster
04-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Hedgemaster, your Google Places listing is owner verified, but you are showing up in the basement.

You need to add as much information to your Place page as possible. Add photos and videos. Hours of operation, location etc....

There is a lot to this GP stuff, I took a 3 day course on it last month. It really is a specialized niche. Google doesn't help out alot with customer service, so people are out there to help business advertise.

I do need help with some graphics for different customers I have so maybe we can trade your expertise for mine.

A trade may be "doable", but right now, I'm put off by the whole process.
I shouldn't have to pay someone to do something that is supposedly as "free" and "easy" as Google would have one believe.

Please note that this is not intended as a dig at you, or your offered services. Not at all... this is America, and God bless capitalism! I'm just pi$$ed at Google for being deceptive about the product and the lack of support.

As for my listing:
I don't have hours, so I can't list them.
I don't want my "pinpoint" location listed, so I carefully plotted in my "service area", as is allowed per what I read during the listing process.
I don't have any great photos yet, so I added my logo - that brought my "completion percentage" (or whatever it was called) up to 90% from 80% without the "photo".

When you say "basement", do you mean really, really, really, really far down the list of "pages"? I thought I clicked on every single "page", but didn't see my listing.

I dunno... like I said, I'm just disgusted with it. I saw it for what it was promoted as - a "free" way to list my business. If that isn't the case, well, I guess I don't get what I expected. You get what you pay for.

Upscale2
04-17-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm at a loss? You don't have hours? You don't have a place of business?

Make some up! I don't keep my equipment at my house, however, my office is in my house so I put that as my address. I don't have customers knocking at my door. I'm a service company, I don't sell any products so there is no need for people to stop by. Go take some pics. Does your phone have a camera?

Your listing will not show up very high if you don't dedicate yourself to your business and everything that goes with it.

Sorry.

Hedgemaster
04-17-2011, 09:56 AM
There are two options for "location" - the "pinpoint" (actual address) OR "service area". They CLEARLY state that I can use either - I chose the latter, as it makes a lot more sense.

Are you saying I can't use a service area?

Also, what good will adding hours and photos do if it says I need to "verify" my listing. (When I've already done so in order to create the listing in the first place)

shadrach
04-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Using an address close to where you want business from will help your rank with places/maps. Probably does not make the most sense for a service business, but that is how it works.

wdcutter
04-17-2011, 05:35 PM
can't remember, but after you add your location can't you select a service radius in miles of your coverage area. I do remember after I changed my business name that I had a hard time getting one changed over and getting only one of them to show up and the other one off after numerous tries. It was a pain to see both being listed and when you clicked the old company name it would take you to the new one, it took some time for it to happen, but will tell you it was worth getting it figured out. I get a lot of calls from people searching the internet for lawn care in my service area.

Push through it, it will be worth it in the end.

Hedgemaster
07-18-2011, 11:18 PM
I discovered today that my listing is now showing.

woo hoo.

I have no idea why all of a sudden it shows up, but it does, so "yay", I guess.

Steve
07-19-2011, 09:23 PM
It be interesting to see if there is an uptick in site activity because of this listing.