PDA

View Full Version : need help with a question

etheridgeja
04-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Iím just planning out my business plan atm. But one question i havenít been able to find online is how to bid on commercial properties. I see how to write out bids and how to estimate them but my questions is how do you make the bid itself? How do you know the company is even looking for a bid? Is their websites kind of like e-bay out there to bid on jobs? Or do you just go to the company and talk to them not even knowing if their looking for a bid. Any information would be much appreciated.

wellbiz
04-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Iím just planning out my business plan atm. But one question i havenít been able to find online is how to bid on commercial properties. I see how to write out bids and how to estimate them but my questions is how do you make the bid itself? How do you know the company is even looking for a bid? Is their websites kind of like e-bay out there to bid on jobs? Or do you just go to the company and talk to them not even knowing if their looking for a bid. Any information would be much appreciated.

Let me start off by saying I do almost all residential work, however I have done bids on commercial. What I have found is a percentage of property managers will actively look for companies and may respond to your advertising. However the majority will probably come from active marketing on your part. Sending letters and calling property managers and asking if they are accepting bids and if you can be put on their bid request lists.

Steve
04-12-2011, 01:52 PM
I think there are a couple of important things to point out here.

First off, you might want to stick with residential customers for a while when you first get started to get a feel for the business. If you underbid a small property, it's not that big of a deal but if you underbid a larger commercial property and then have a contract with them to service their property for a year, that can be a big problem for you.

If you see some commercial properties in your area that you would like to service, why not go in there and ask who is in charge and present them with a bid to service their property? Feel out the situations and see how they go.

You will ultimately need to know what exactly they want serviced and some will give you a bid sheet/packet to explain all that, otherwise you can offer them services you feel they can use and they could say they need this or that in addition to what you suggested.

Does this help?

ProGreen
04-26-2011, 12:33 AM
I agree with Steve, if you are new to this industry you definitely want to get a feel for how long things take you, what materials are involved, expenses, time etc. before you start making serious thousand dollar bids.

As far as finding places that are taking bids, simply call them or knock on the door, be a go-getter and don't wait for them to call you. Call either at the beginning of the year or a month or two before grass season starts. Take the initiative and be proactive with getting new customers. I have made a good penny just by asking about a job. Good luck.