PDA

View Full Version : good maintenance

afpettijohns
04-10-2011, 03:57 PM
I would like to have a clear definition of good maintenance for my equipment. My toyota has 245k because of it.

What is considered a tune up?
What is a good schedule (hrs to service)?
Carb cleaning, what does this entail?

I need a book cause I want my eqipment to last a long time.

Steve
04-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Do you have a user's manual for your mower? I would figure the manufacturer would have recommended times to change the oil, air cleaner, spark plug.

Or maybe check on their website for how many mower hours until they recommend these changes.

wandfsmall
04-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Do you have a user's manual for your mower? I would figure the manufacturer would have recommended times to change the oil, air cleaner, spark plug.

Or maybe check on their website for how many mower hours until they recommend these changes.

Well for these answers I would need the equipment and model info. For Oil changes the books will say; Oil 90 hours, spark plug 250 hours(or once a year for some books to sell more plugs), air filter depends on the system(also once a year in some books to sell air filters). Also Greasing, Valve Adjustments, and Hydro Oil and filter changes depend on the engines and mowers. As for belts I have had them out 10 years without replacing a belt and I have had them out 90 days and replaced them so it depends on the treatment.

jasonw
04-17-2011, 10:15 PM
All my stuff came with manuals with all that info. I stick to it like glue. I dont care if I am in the middle of a lawn, when its time for a oil change I stop and change it. If you got your stuff used and didn't get the manuals you can look on most manufacturers websites and get a PDF version on the manuals.

TLC131
04-18-2011, 10:32 PM
sorry but that seems a little extreme. I change my mowers oil ROUGHLY every 40 hours and have never had a problem. :)

wandfsmall
04-18-2011, 10:46 PM
I agree with that being a bit extreme I would not want you changing your oil in my driveway.... you could have done that the night before you came to do my lawn kinda thing. Just get in the ball game as to service and you will be doing better then most. When I get time I will make a post as to what should be done for a good service as to what it takes to clean a carb correctly.

jasonw
04-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Its extreme that I service my equipment as per the manufacturer recommendations and warranty contingencies? I dont think thats extreme I think thats taking care of your chit. I read all to often how most people hate the kind of stuff I use because it never last, well yes it never lasts because most of them never change the oil in their mower ofter 10 years of service.