PDA

View Full Version : $700 to spend on a mower

afpettijohns
04-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Yup, that's it, may squeeze a bit more but... does anyone have any suggestions on what mower I could buy for that price? 2 year commercial warranty would be nice but the warrenty is only as good as the mower.

I will be doing about 50 1/4 acre and smaller lawns a week and need a reliable commercial machine.

justin_time
04-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Yup, that's it, may squeeze a bit more but... does anyone have any suggestions on what mower I could buy for that price? 2 year commercial warranty would be nice but the warrenty is only as good as the mower.

I will be doing about 50 1/4 acre and smaller lawns a week and need a reliable commercial machine.

Won't go far with $700 for a mower.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=202696117&R=202696117

As far as your $700, i'd put a deposit on one, or something. Get yourself something decent

Tractors approx start $1200 and above

afpettijohns
04-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Won't go far with $700 for a mower.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=202696117&R=202696117

As far as your $700, i'd put a deposit on one, or something. Get yourself something decent

Tractors approx start $1200 and above

I know the top honda walk behind is 1200. I'm looking at 21 inch walk behinds. Self propelled

Hedgemaster
04-08-2011, 09:29 PM
I bought a Toro SR4 Super Recycler. ($530 MSRP)

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=13790

I asked about a "commercial grade" Toro PUSH mower at my local dealer and was told they run around $1,200. For a push mower? No, I don't think so... like he said - for that price, you may want to look at a used walk behind.

I then asked about other, more affordable options for a start up business, and he said a lot of the local guys use the SR4 (Model 20092) with good results.

A guy I did work with last season bought two of them the same day I did. He asked me a week ago if I had used mine yet (I hadn't), as he was impressed with it's mulching ability. (He had been using a Lawnboy if I recall)

Also, another guy I know who was in landscaping and now works at a dealer for Toro and John deer said that the Toro I mentioned is one of the best buys for the money. (He told me this after I bought it)

I'm not a seasoned veteran, nor do I care what brand you buy... just throwing it out there.

bruces
04-08-2011, 10:02 PM
have you got a costco card ?go buy one of their mowers,use it for the summer [or untill it breaks,whichever comes first ] then return it .Get another next year .You can buy two for the money you are willing to spend ,and last years models had stainless decks and honda engine ,not sure what they are selling this year .

afpettijohns
04-08-2011, 10:14 PM
have you got a costco card ?go buy one of their mowers,use it for the summer [or untill it breaks,whichever comes first ] then return it .Get another next year .You can buy two for the money you are willing to spend ,and last years models had stainless decks and honda engine ,not sure what they are selling this year .

Honesty still counts to me. Lol. Yor bad. Thanks for the thought thought.

bruces
04-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Honesty still counts to me. Lol. Yor bad. Thanks for the thought thought.

I dont do it,I know lots of people who do though .

afpettijohns
04-09-2011, 05:08 AM
What if any advice can you give me on the Ariens Classic LM21SW. I am looking at those sweet turns and liking that. I'm a great one for maintenance. It is just in my price range, a little above.

cleancutlawncare5382
04-09-2011, 06:55 AM
I bought the Toro super recycler with Aluminum deck. It came with Briggs engine; I would have preferred a Honda motor. This one is the non personal pace, just manual push. I think $475 out the door with a bagger.
I havenít used it yet but think it will do well on my smaller properties.

Make sure to add mulching clippings to your marketing.

afpettijohns
04-09-2011, 11:02 AM
I bought the Toro super recycler with Aluminum deck. It came with Briggs engine; I would have preferred a Honda motor. This one is the non personal pace, just manual push. I think $475 out the door with a bagger.
I havenít used it yet but think it will do well on my smaller properties.

Make sure to add mulching clippings to your marketing.

LOL, I mulch every lawn I go to. Only been asked once why there isn't a bag on my mower and I sold the mulching capabilities of the mower as FREE FERTILIZER! It's true but I save so much time on my mows.