PDA

View Full Version : Landscape fabric/polypropylene/weed barrier

element009
04-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Any thoughts on whether it is worth it or not to use this kind of product when mulching a flower bed. The bed already exists and has a lot of weeds. I plan to either remove or kill the weeds, then put down mulch. Is this fabric worth the investment? I always see flower beds with this fabric sticking out, and it looks horrible.

awardlandscapingllc
04-05-2011, 11:43 PM
I have done mulching for a long time now. I feel it is very unecessary to use fabric when mulching. What the fabric does is create a bottom layer and once the mulch starts to disinigrate and decompose it turns the same thing as dirt anyway. But I would suggest, once it is all cleaned up and the weeds are gone, to put down Preen a product that stops all seedlings form germinating. Thats how I do it and its worked well. Just my 2cents.

awardlandscapingllc
04-05-2011, 11:44 PM
I forgot to mention the Preen will not hurt the already established plants at all so any flowers or whatever will be fine.

cruzgardening
04-06-2011, 04:51 AM
I have done mulching for a long time now. I feel it is very unecessary to use fabric when mulching. What the fabric does is create a bottom layer and once the mulch starts to disinigrate and decompose it turns the same thing as dirt anyway. But I would suggest, once it is all cleaned up and the weeds are gone, to put down Preen a product that stops all seedlings form germinating. Thats how I do it and its worked well. Just my 2cents.

i would second that the landscape fabric is a pain later on if you do not mulch deep enough so use a preemergent and skip the fabric good luck man

Steve
04-06-2011, 01:33 PM
if you do not mulch deep enough
How deep should the mulch be and how does the depth effect weed growth?