PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping and owning nurseries go hand in hand?

Steve
01-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Think about this. They ran a nursery for 30 years and since starting their landscaping division 5 years ago, it now "accounts for half of the revenue!" That is pretty amazing.

What's your view?

Summersun Nursery & Landscaping (http://www.skagitbusinesspulse.com/articles/2007/01/29/pcawards/pcawards09.txt) - Five years ago, Summersun launched the landscaping branch of its business, and it now accounts for half of the revenue. Being able to supply the plants for the landscaping is a plus. “It’s really expanded with all the development,’’ Loeb notes.
Water features are very popular, and a sign out front asks, “Like our ponds? We can build one for you.’’ “People are moving away from concrete driveways and patios,’’ Loeb exclaims.

http://www.skagitbusinesspulse.com/content/articles/2007/01/29/pcawards/pcawards09.jpg

tiedeman
01-30-2007, 11:26 AM
I do agree. Most landscaping installation companies around here have their own nursery stock on hand

Steve
01-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Do you think that gives them a competitive advantage over those who don't?

tiedeman
01-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Yes big time I feel. Because not only can they get products cheaper and make a higher profit margin, but they actually have it in stock to show the customer what they are talking about.

tiedeman
01-30-2007, 11:57 AM
When I used to do installs it was a pain in the buttocks. I had to drive around to 3 different nurseries just to see what they had in stock and what they could get in stock before I drew up any type of plans for customers. There were many times that I had to substitute other plants because the ones that I drew up in the design were not available

Steve
01-30-2007, 04:09 PM
How much money do you think it would take an lco to get a nursery started?

tiedeman
01-30-2007, 06:02 PM
I think that there is a lot more to it than meets the eye. I know of one local company that employs just one guy to look over the irrigation, ventilation, and climate control systems just to make sure the stock is growing at proper temps.