PDA

View Full Version : Sod install job

pblawncare
04-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Hey guys,

I'm Paul and I've recently been asked to price a job on installing sod. I've measured it off and know how much sod to get, but I'm not quite sure on the best way to price the job. the customer has grass currently, which is a certain need to be tilled up and cleaned out. This is in a new sub-division as well, (no HOA to deal with though) and I'm banking on the fact that if this install goes well, I can get the other people in the neighborhood as well to re-do their yards. Location: Liberty/Greensboro NC. Any insights would be MUCH appreciated.

jklawncare
04-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Hey guys,

I'm Paul and I've recently been asked to price a job on installing sod. I've measured it off and know how much sod to get, but I'm not quite sure on the best way to price the job. the customer has grass currently, which is a certain need to be tilled up and cleaned out. This is in a new sub-division as well, (no HOA to deal with though) and I'm banking on the fact that if this install goes well, I can get the other people in the neighborhood as well to re-do their yards. Location: Liberty/Greensboro NC. Any insights would be MUCH appreciated.

Hey Paul, if grass is already there i would reccomend getting a sod cutter and rolling it up rater than tilling it all into the ground..that could get messy and time consuming.

Figure out your total overhead. If you want to know how to do that you can PM me and ill let you know everything you need to know ro you can email me at JKlawns@gmail.com

Then I would charge the material cost plus your hourly cost x however many hours.

MAKLawnCutter
04-03-2011, 05:30 PM
On any sod job, i charge 125% more than the sod will cost. If the sod per pallet is 100, i charge 125$ per pallet to install. If there is a removal fee, i charge an additional 50$/pallet to remove it, so the total cost PER PALLET would be 125+50+100=275(x 'X' amount of pallets).

When i use a sod cutter, i usually use it to cut about an inch into the top soil then rake it all out and load it into a dump trailer or flat trailer and tarp it.

I havent had a sod job this season yet (i will when i get back to FL tho, i have had 4 calls since the 31st).

To install sod, it should take one man about an hour per pallet. If you have a helper, pay them a flat fee for the entire job, dont do it by the hour incase they drag their feet. A flat fee makes people move quicker so you can get onto the next one!

Matt

jklawncare
04-03-2011, 05:35 PM
On any sod job, i charge 125% more than the sod will cost. If the sod per pallet is 100, i charge 125$ per pallet to install. If there is a removal fee, i charge an additional 50$/pallet to remove it, so the total cost PER PALLET would be 125+50+100=275(x 'X' amount of pallets).

When i use a sod cutter, i usually use it to cut about an inch into the top soil then rake it all out and load it into a dump trailer or flat trailer and tarp it.

I havent had a sod job this season yet (i will when i get back to FL tho, i have had 4 calls since the 31st).

To install sod, it should take one man about an hour per pallet. If you have a helper, pay them a flat fee for the entire job, dont do it by the hour incase they drag their feet. A flat fee makes people move quicker so you can get onto the next one!

Matt

Thats a great way of billing it all together. Ill have to keep that in mind. If i knew about how you charged per pallet i would charge a flat fee too..but when im around..theres no way my workers drag their feet :D

Steve
04-04-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm Paul and I've recently been asked to price a job on installing sod. I've measured it off and know how much sod to get, but I'm not quite sure on the best way to price the job. the customer has grass currently, which is a certain need to be tilled up and cleaned out.
Paul, did you decide which way to go with? Tilling the lawn versus using a sod cutter?

Do you have any pictures of the property you can show us?

Figure out your total overhead. If you want to know how to do that you can PM me and ill let you know everything you need to know ro you can email me at

If you have any further tips, I am sure future readers would appreciate reading them.