all in the same week

the past three days it has been high 40's today its 61 right now
so thats real nice

but out of the 2500 i have handed out 1000 so far
and i have only recieved three calls

one was found off google
one was for a lawn estimate
the other was for an aeration job

When do you guys hand out your flyers..i mean..spring is here..ive seen people mowing there non existent lawns..

i put a deadline on the back of my flyers saying april 1st but the delay in shipping and weather has set me back

so i will continue to distribute them regardless

whats your guys opinion? when should i start handing these out? the past years i have done them around late may but i want to get ahead of the game..any advice?

shadrach
04-03-2011, 03:07 PM
I have seen people here who started mowing their own yards about 3 weeks ago. I have been doing flyers for most of a month now but just starting to get a decent amount of calls from it in the last 4 or 5 days. Seems like the cold snap has pushed things back a bit compared to last year. I am at the far south end of the state if that helps any.

Hedgemaster
04-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Situation is much the same in Pittsburgh. Hot - cold - warm - snow - warm - rain - snow - hot - rain - cold - WTF?

The grass has started to green up and is growing, but most people don't know it because they haven't been out in their yards due to the cold weather. I think that next week will change though, as it's likely to warm up. When people see what has happened outside - they will call.

I mowed my first lawn of the season today.

jklawncare
04-03-2011, 04:25 PM
I put all my customers on hold here.. no need to go mow nothing..
plus the time im not mowing ill use to hand out more flyers..question is should i keep doing them now? or wait till it warms up?

the fliers are already "outdated" but any advertisement is better then none so that wont keep me from handing them out
and if a customer complains that i passed it to his house after the deadline id be willing to let my offer slide for those people.

But the flyers that i do see people read attract their attention
I watch them grab it and read it and they flip it over 2 sometimes 3 times reading it so that 7 second mark sure didnt bite me in the butt this year.
Its the weather taking care of that haha.

The Cleaning Doctor
04-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Situation is much the same in Pittsburgh. Hot - cold - warm - snow - warm - rain - snow - hot - rain - cold - WTF?

And that was only Tuesday!:eek:

GreenMatters716
04-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Same in Buffalo, NY man.. Crazy weather!! I am just starting to deliver 1500 door hangers this week and 7000 insert flyers in a local paper goin out at the end of the week. I think it is possible we have seen the end of the snow this year. Who knows i could be wrong. I waited a bit because its hard for people to think of their lawn when they look out the window and see white.

jklawncare
04-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Same in Buffalo, NY man.. Crazy weather!! I am just starting to deliver 1500 door hangers this week and 7000 insert flyers in a local paper goin out at the end of the week. I think it is possible we have seen the end of the snow this year. Who knows i could be wrong. I waited a bit because its hard for people to think of their lawn when they look out the window and see white.

Thats the only problem..it got nice..and then i started handing out..then the day i handed out the majority..BOOM snow..it was horrible because it was almost 50 degree weather..

Today its 66..this should be the turning poing..atleast im hoping..because ill be out with hangers all week

Hedgemaster
04-03-2011, 06:26 PM
And that was only Tuesday!:eek:

Heh. I came back to post that a half hour ago we just had a quick thunderstorm - with hailstones - and lightning.

Earlier, I was mowing my first lawn of the season in "T-shirt" weather.

:confused:

jklawncare
04-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Heh. I came back to post that a half hour ago we just had a quick thunderstorm - with hailstones - and lightning.

haha i had that here yesterday..its gorgeous out now..just cloudy is all..rain clouds too..but then they go away and come back..hope the weather stays true..

Hedgemaster
04-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Ummm... it did it again.

Sky cleared up after the first hailstorm, then a few mins ago my wife yells to look outside.

Here's what I saw...
(see attachments)

jklawncare
04-03-2011, 06:59 PM
oh wow..those are pretty big..mine was tiny little bits..biggest they got was probably m&m sized haha

Hedgemaster
04-03-2011, 07:12 PM
oh wow..those are pretty big..mine was tiny little bits..biggest they got was probably m&m sized haha

Yeah, first round was smaller, these ones had the dog freaked out. (ping! ping! ping!)
A week or so ago we had marble sized stuff and not far from here they had golf ball sized and up... that area also had a tornado touch down - several homes destroyed. Unusual for our area.

Hope you get some bites on your flyers. I need to get out and do the same.
Hard to do though when it's always raining and/or snowing, and/or hailing, and/or frogs are falling from the sky.

;)

The Cleaning Doctor
04-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Looks like you have a problem with moths there. Good job evenly spreading the moth balls out there.:D

That is not hail, it is the new time release lawn watering capsules.

Steve
04-04-2011, 10:46 AM
i put a deadline on the back of my flyers saying april 1st but the delay in shipping and weather has set me back

Was that a deadline that was printed on the flyer? Are you able to edit that before handing it out?

B-2 Lawncare
04-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Snow Snow Snow in Wyoming, I am not a happy camper. My seasonal work is starting to pile up and I am starting to get even fatter from lack of get out of the house. I am now about a week behind due to the weather I have 5000 pounds of fertilizer sit waiting for the weather to dry up and that just for one job. And more on order a long with more than a weeks worth of lawn dethatching, and a lot more clean up jobs. OK I stop whining now.

jklawncare
04-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Was that a deadline that was printed on the flyer? Are you able to edit that before handing it out?

I wish steve, I have 1500 more flyers with a deadline of April 1st already printed on them. Therse no turning back aha

Any advertisement is good advertisement i suppose and id be willing to flex the deadline a few days after i distribute the rest just because its the weather and shippings fault.. i shouldnt take that opportunity away from customers..but i wont hold onto it forever.

SpokaneSRC
04-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Any advertisement is good advertisement i suppose and id be willing to flex the deadline a few days after i distribute the rest just because its the weather and shippings fault.. i shouldnt take that opportunity away from customers..but i wont hold onto it forever.

I would think, even if it's past the deadline, people will still call to see if they can get the deal.
Good luck

jklawncare
04-04-2011, 09:18 PM
I would think, even if it's past the deadline, people will still call to see if they can get the deal.
Good luck

Thats what im hoping, and if not..at least they will see my name and number and my flashy ad aha

do you think i should scratch out the deadline with one thick line in sharpie?
or print out little notes extending the deadline and staple them to each?

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Same weather problems here. Waiting for the rain to stop to do some clean ups that I keep postponing. I was handing out flyers in light rain today. So I dont think your timing is bad at all. Its downtime so make the best of it.

Paineless Creations
04-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Thats what im hoping, and if not..at least they will see my name and number and my flashy ad aha

do you think i should scratch out the deadline with one thick line in sharpie?
or print out little notes extending the deadline and staple them to each?

Scratch out the deadline and hand them all out

jklawncare
04-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Scratch out the deadline and hand them all out

Thanks for your input
I was afraid it would look unprofessional but then i realized..
these are the most professional flyers ive seen around here by 1000000000
sooo even with a sharpie line..it will still look atleast 1000 times better :D