PDA

View Full Version : Local LLC

slcllc
04-01-2011, 02:08 PM
There is a company in my area that advertises as an LLC. I've checked with the Secretary of State and there is no LLC by that name - not even a name that's close. I've called the BBB, the Secretary of State, and the attorney general, but they all say they can't do anything.
I actually have an LLC and it just pisses me off that this guy says he's an LLC, when he's obviously not because he hasn't filed the paperwork or paid the fees! I'm not sure what to do about it at this point, so I'm actually considering registering a company under the name that he's advertising as before reporting him again as using my company name. After all, if you want to be an LLC, you MUST register the name. He also says he's insured and bonded, but when I called him for an estimate and to see a copy of his insurance he said sure, "Sure what's your address and I'll show you when I mow your yard." but he never came.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just being an *******, but it's aggravating when I see him ON MY OWN STREET taking care of neighbors when he's using deceptive and illegal advertising practices.

Hedgemaster
04-01-2011, 02:54 PM
That's messed up.
I'm not an LLC, but I took the steps to register my fictitious name with the state.
Just a few weeks ago, I saw a guy with a shirt with virtually the same name as mine. He doesn't exist in the state registry. I looked hard before I registered to make sure there were no businesses with the name I chose in this area, and then again after I saw his shirt. Nope - nothing.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
04-01-2011, 08:58 PM
I think that's a good idea but a little costly to get rid of him. You register the name and say to him your using my name but you can buy it from me for 5k or something crazy or else I am reporting you. They might see it as fishy since you just called about that name and now you are registering it unless you didn't give your name. Also make a cheap flyer and say we are fully insured and bonded with the documents available upon your request we strongly recommend that you ask for ours as well as any company you may be using now because your home is a huge investment and who wants to lose it or pay more in homeowners insurance over an insurance claim that should be covered by the contractor. Just quick off my head but just worked 8 hours and my brain is fried.
Keep us posted.

The Cleaning Doctor
04-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Maybe the licensing department can't do anything but I would bet that the tax collection department could.

Steve
04-03-2011, 11:36 AM
I would think all of this would give you a great marketing angle.

Does your town require you to be licensed? Or insured?

How to Take Down a Non-Compliant and Fraudulent LLC (http://hubpages.com/hub/noncompliantllc)

Maybe that will give you more ideas.

slcllc
04-03-2011, 08:30 PM
It is not required to be licensed or insured. And as long as he pays income tax, the tax department won't do anything because in Mississippi lawn care services are not subject to sales tax.

I guess I could use it for marketing purposes: Is your lawn care company listed with the Secretary of State? We are. Click HERE to see for yourself!

Steve
04-04-2011, 10:48 AM
The lack of insurance angle may give you a better bang for your buck, especially when you point out to the home owner how they could be sued if the uninsured lawn care provider injures himself or others while on their property.