PDA

View Full Version : echo blower

robert24
03-31-2011, 07:15 PM
i am trying to decide between an echo back pack blower or the echo blower that attaches to the trimmer handle. considering i am just starting out and can stand to save a few bucks does anyone have any advice on this.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
03-31-2011, 07:56 PM
What are you going to be using it for? Just to blow down sidewalks and driveways or to actually clean off lawns and flower beds?

Gls
03-31-2011, 08:22 PM
Unless you are blowing dry light material, back pack is the way to go. Check the cfm at the output.

tricountylawncare
03-31-2011, 08:39 PM
I really recommend spending the extra money on the backpack. Don't know how much you are wanting to spend but the Echo PB 500H is $299 at Home Depot and is more than you will need. It will blow wet leaves, sticks, rocks, dogs, cats ect. Ha Ha. Plus it has a 5 year warranty. You can't go wrong. If you don't have a HD close by then the shipping is free on it if you order online.

P.S. Don't mess with the PB 265. It is $50 less than the 500 but has a lot less power.

robert24
03-31-2011, 09:02 PM
thanks for helping me decide i was leaning toward the back pack blower and wanted to make sure i was making the right choice for the money

Hedgemaster
03-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Timely thread.

I was doing a cleanup the other day and using my Craftsman handheld. While it was fine for moving the leaves on the lawn, it struggled to "dig" them out of a few spots under and between branches/trunks of shrubs. It also couldn't blow them out from under hedges when blowing from the other side to try and blow them into the yard.

I started looking at the specs for Echo and Stihl backpack blowers last night.

You say that the Echo 500 at Home Depot is powerful enough?
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the rating on my Craftsman is exaggerated then, because it's 470 CFM and that Echo is "only" 450.
I'm wondering now if the Craftsman is rated that high "at the housing" as opposed to at the tube. Probably.

I need a backpack badly, but can't afford to spend $300 on one that isn't any better than what I have.

Echo CFM ratings for the following models:

Echo 500 - 450 CFM - $300

Echo 620 - 530 CFM - $440

Echo 770 - 765 CFM - $500

I was trying to decide if I should go "middle of the road" and get the 620 model, but if those with firsthand knowledge think the "lesser model" 500 would work, I may go that route.

element009
03-31-2011, 09:48 PM
If you have the option, I would say to check out a Redmax. I've used several of them. The really powerful one EBZ8050 is amazing, but I think it costs around $550. For going out on my own, I bought a less powerful model, EBZ5150. It's still great. I used it today for a cleanup in Jersey. It was drizzling and wet all day, and I was still able to easily get rid of the leaves and heavier debris(acorns and sticks and such). This one costs around $330. I would seriously suggest making the investment. It's amazing what you could do with a good blower.

tricountylawncare
03-31-2011, 11:31 PM
Hedgemaster, I believe if the craftsmen would not blow the leaves out of the flower bed then there is no way it is rated at 470. Like I said, the Echo 500 is powerful enough to blow leaves out of the grass and flower beds. Read the reviews on it on the HD website. It got a 4.9 out of 5 from 44 users. Some landscapers even posted that the Echo was just as powerful as the Stihl backpacks they have but cost $200 less. I almost bought the Husqavuarna because it got good reviews except for the tube part being a little cheap but the engine is very reliable and made by Kawasaki. I went with the Echo because it got a little better reviews and came with the 5 year warranty.

Hedgemaster
04-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Hedgemaster, I believe if the craftsmen would not blow the leaves out of the flower bed then there is no way it is rated at 470. Like I said, the Echo 500 is powerful enough to blow leaves out of the grass and flower beds. Read the reviews on it on the HD website. It got a 4.9 out of 5 from 44 users. Some landscapers even posted that the Echo was just as powerful as the Stihl backpacks they have but cost $200 less. I almost bought the Husqavuarna because it got good reviews except for the tube part being a little cheap but the engine is very reliable and made by Kawasaki. I went with the Echo because it got a little better reviews and came with the 5 year warranty.

The Craftsman (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07179477000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3) is rated at 470 CFM. Like I said though, I'm betting they fudge the numbers.

I have a dealer right up the road that stocks both Echo and Stihl. I'll stop and see what they say, and that way I can get all touchy-feely with them to see what brand I like better. (The Stihl 550 has almost the same specs as the Echo 620 and they are both the same MSRP)
If he can't beat the Home Depot price, I'll go get it there. Would rather support the dealer, but I can buy gift cards to purchase from teh Depot and that will get me $18 worth of free gas by doing so.(Grocery store "fuel perks" with gift card purchase) Every little bit helps.

element009
04-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Not sure if you have a Redmax dealer near you, but here is the webpage with all the specs:
http://www.redmax.com/node3936.aspx?nid=158989