PDA

View Full Version : $550 Aerator Worth it?

JessyMathers
03-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Hey everyone I just found an aerator for sale for $550 bucks. It's in pretty good shape by the looks of it. its a Ryan aerator 26" 7 tine with an older Honda motor. What do you think worth it?

picframer
03-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Hey everyone I just found an aerator for sale for $550 bucks. It's in pretty good shape by the looks of it. its a Ryan aerator 26" 7 tine with an older Honda motor. What do you think worth it?

Considering they are $8,500 new here, if it runs and works they it is worth a lot more than $550

CHEESE2009
03-31-2011, 07:59 PM
This is something you need to try out beforehand.

Also, figure out how much it costs to rent a machine vs taking a chance in seeing how long this machine will actually last. Will it pay for itself before you have to repair/toss it?

ALSO, if something is/gets damaged, where would you order the replacement parts from? The local dealership might not be able to help you as they only work with certain brands give or take.

In my town, high class aerator machines cost $50.00 to rent. Most businesses in my area charge each customer $50.00 to perform the service. If they get even just two customers, they profit. **** It might be a good idea for you, regardless of how amazing this offer sounds. "Safety First".

Aerators are also very annoying to work with.... lol

Steve
04-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Jesse,

Keep us posted on what you decide to go with.

bruces
04-01-2011, 07:49 PM
I would only be concerned with the actual aerator parts,not so much the engine ,as you can now swap that old honda with a clone for $120.00 or so ,and all the aerators I have seen have been simple machines nothing much fancy going on .

wandfsmall
04-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Ryan is a popular aerator in fact I am a ryan dealer, I would not worry about parts availability. I would worry about how good of shape the unit is and if it runs. Another note do not expect you can replace the engine for $120 your more like $350 to $400 for a replacement engine.

JessyMathers
04-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Hey everyone,

I ended up buying it the unit is in pretty good shape. It's a Honda 3.5hp motor on it, it also has all brand new tines and has been well maintained by the looks of it. I bought it from a rental shop they told me that they changed the oil and kept it tuned all the time, which I beleive as they want their equipment to be in good working order. I got it for $500 and looking at it now I'm pretty sure I got a steal.

Steve
04-03-2011, 12:16 PM
How will having this piece of equipment effect your business now as you go into Spring? What will you be doing differently now from previous years?