PDA

View Full Version : Blowing the whistle on illegal immigrants

Steve
01-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Tired of waiting for Washington to enforce immigration laws, small businesses have begun taking their competitors to court.

Are we going to see more and more of this in the future?

Blowing the whistle on illegal immigrants (http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/23/magazines/fsb/immigration.fsb/index.htm?postversion=2007012406) - To see the latest front in the war over illegal immigration, take a look at Mordechai Orian. The 41-year-old owns Global Horizons, a Los Angeles-based service that supplies seasonal agricultural workers to apple, blueberry, and potato growers across the country. In May, Orian lost one of his biggest clients: Munger Bros., a Delano, Calif., blueberry farm, which decided to use a rival labor supplier, J&A Contracting of Bakersfield, Calif.

Munger Bros. executives say they switched suppliers when Global Horizons failed to live up to its contract, but Orian suspects a different motive. J&A, he says, provides cheaper, illegal workers, scooping workers up on street corners by the vanload and delivering them to farms. He says he has evidence of falsified Social Security cards to prove his assertions. And rather than filing a complaint with the federal government, Orian is taking both Munger and J&A to court.

tiedeman
01-26-2007, 09:20 AM
I like it that at least someone is doing something about it.

I have always thought that they shouldn't go after the people, but the businesses that hire the illegals. Give the businesses huge fines and jail time. I am not talking about a slap on the hand either. I am talking around $150,000 for fines, and 3 years in jail. That will make these business owners wise up and stop picking up the illegals on the street.

Steve
01-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Well, it should be interesting to see how this court case plays out. Maybe others will then follow along that path.

skyjack_1
01-26-2007, 05:25 PM
I will be obtaining some seasonal H2B's in April hopefully. All things still look. Takes a long time to process. The governments paperwork is all made from molasses. It is so slow moving. I sure hope mine will be legite. Ya'll got me worried. The consult company i'm going through is not cheap so they best not be using illegals.