PDA

View Full Version : Do you print your own flyers?

tyler99
03-29-2011, 11:59 AM
I am just wondering if you all print out your own flyers, and if you do, do you use plain, white computer paper?

If you don't print your own, what company do you use?

Steve
03-29-2011, 02:00 PM
We see a lot of members use sites like vistaprint.com

tyler99
03-29-2011, 04:42 PM
We see a lot of members use sites like vistaprint.com

OK, I actually just ordered door magnets, business cards, and 2 T-shirts from their, but their flyers are a little too expensive. I assume all I need is a plain, white sheet of paper with my logo, and the info, where they seem to sell glossy, thicker paper.

Hedgemaster
03-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Printing your own is generally not cost effective due to the price of printer ink.

If it doesn't have to be glossy, you can design something in black and white that will photocopy well, and have photocopies made. Most copy centers also offer color paperstock as an option if you wish to have something more colorful than plain, white paper.

Unless I actually NEED to use a full sheet of paper for my layout, I will design a 2 up, or 3 up template - have copies made, and then cut them into half or in thirds. When I do this, I usually include a faint, grey "dash" to indicate where the cuts will be made - not dark enough to notice, but just enough to see to line up on the paper cutter.

As for printing, I've used overnightprints.com for business cards, and 4x6 postcards, and have been pleased. I have no idea what their rates are for flyers though.
The business cards are nicer than Vista print ("whiter" and true to size - Vistaprint's bus cards are a hair smaller than they should be) and they are only a few dollars more.

There are probably others out there that are less expensive, but that's who I've used. I also used printsmadeeasy.com, but was not impressed with the card quality. Granted, they were the "free 100" cards, but the quality was not nearly as good (they tended to "curl") as the free ones from overnightprints.com

tyler99
03-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks, I will check them sites out.

Steve
03-31-2011, 10:21 AM
What about printing flyers on bright paper? Do you feel that helps improve the results of it?

Also, have you ever done any calculations to see how much cheaper it is to use a local business to photocopy your flyer versus printing it out yourself?

tricountylawncare
03-31-2011, 08:58 PM
I just happen to have a Kodak printer which has the cheapest ink out of all of the printer brands. A black cartridge is $10 and will print on average 350 pages and the black XL cartridge is $16 and will print twice that much. To me, it is cheaper to go this route than to pay someone to do it plus I can print them as I need them. Something to think about if you plan on making a lot of fliers. I think a new Kodak printer can be had for about $70.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
03-31-2011, 09:57 PM
When I first started I went online and priced ink. I found a website that had cheap ink. I went to BJ's and priced a 5000 sheet box of white paper. I was using all color ink and white paper. It actually turned out cheaper then bringing it to Staples and to Officemax and Office Depot. I work second shift and normally come home and watch tv for two to three hours so I set up the printer it made 78 pages before I would change (not totally out of ink sometimes got 3 or 4 more but that was my safety choice) and that's what I based my calculations on. So in five nights and a DVR that paused shows every half hour I had my 5k flyers and didnt spend the extra 1k that they would have wanted to do it. Was well worth it to me. Run the numbers is what I am saying. I just ordered 10k doorhangers front and back color from this site www.ladyprinting.com she was running a special 5k for 99.99 I doubled it and paid her 35 to do the graphic design. The artwork looks amazing they should be delivered on Saturday if you want to know what they look like I'll snap a few photos. I think the special is over but she might do it again if you call her and ask her. Mandi was her name nice woman.
Good Luck.

tyler99
03-31-2011, 10:45 PM
I just happen to have a Kodak printer which has the cheapest ink out of all of the printer brands. A black cartridge is $10 and will print on average 350 pages and the black XL cartridge is $16 and will print twice that much. To me, it is cheaper to go this route than to pay someone to do it plus I can print them as I need them. Something to think about if you plan on making a lot of fliers. I think a new Kodak printer can be had for about $70.

Thank you for the reply! I also thought about ebay to purchase the ink.

tyler99
03-31-2011, 10:46 PM
When I first started I went online and priced ink. I found a website that had cheap ink. I went to BJ's and priced a 5000 sheet box of white paper. I was using all color ink and white paper. It actually turned out cheaper then bringing it to Staples and to Officemax and Office Depot. I work second shift and normally come home and watch tv for two to three hours so I set up the printer it made 78 pages before I would change (not totally out of ink sometimes got 3 or 4 more but that was my safety choice) and that's what I based my calculations on. So in five nights and a DVR that paused shows every half hour I had my 5k flyers and didnt spend the extra 1k that they would have wanted to do it. Was well worth it to me. Run the numbers is what I am saying. I just ordered 10k doorhangers front and back color from this site www.ladyprinting.com she was running a special 5k for 99.99 I doubled it and paid her 35 to do the graphic design. The artwork looks amazing they should be delivered on Saturday if you want to know what they look like I'll snap a few photos. I think the special is over but she might do it again if you call her and ask her. Mandi was her name nice woman.
Good Luck.

Thank you! I will deff check this out, and do some price matching to see what I can do it by myself vs. paying for it.

jymie
04-01-2011, 12:33 AM
As a side note, you can set your printing to print in draft mode to save on some of the ink you use for printing. My color fliers are all printed this way and yes it is slightly lighter, but the color is still good enough.

tyler99
04-01-2011, 01:01 AM
As a side note, you can set your printing to print in draft mode to save on some of the ink you use for printing. My color fliers are all printed this way and yes it is slightly lighter, but the color is still good enough.

Thanks. I'm on my laptop, not my desktop so I cant check right now, but i'm guessing you change that option in the print settings?

Steve
04-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Yes you can. Check the quality of the printing once you switch it and see if it is acceptable to you.

jymie
04-01-2011, 10:49 AM
To change the print settings, when you start to print you will see a button that says PREFERENCES, click that then you should be able to choose DRAFT to print.

tyler99
04-01-2011, 12:41 PM
I tried that out this morning, and as you can tell a little difference, its good enough, esp. for the price it may save me. Thanks guys!

Steve
04-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Keep us posted on how it turns out!