PDA

View Full Version : Innovation or idiocy?

LawnSculptors
03-28-2011, 10:25 PM
I made a new flyer that I am actually very fond of, and the visual style matches my website very well. I realized that instead of doing basically the same thing over again for a Craigslist ad, I would just literally use the flyer as the ad (http://desmoines.craigslist.org/hss/2292434809.html).

I think it turned out pretty well, and the fact that the entire ad is one gigantic hyperlink to my site seems to be one hell of an advantage over the other lawn care companies in my area with ugly, basic ads and maybe a couple 300 pixel-wide images.

So, what do all of you think? Am I on to something here, or just being lazy?

jymie
03-28-2011, 10:34 PM
I like the look of it. BUT... you need to add text below the picture or the ad will not appear in search results. Pictures are not search-able, whether they have text in them or not will not be able to be picked up when people search. List your services and where you service in text below the picture.

Hedgemaster
03-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Cool. You may want to consider altering the headline text so it doesn't produce migraines though. :D

Just jerkin' your chain a bit, but it is a bit visually "disturbing" to look at as a result of the "blurry" background image and the drop shadow. I'm wondering if that combo is what did it... whatever it is, it had me wishing I had something to hold onto.

Hedgedizzymaster

Hedgemaster
03-28-2011, 11:02 PM
I like the look of it. BUT... you need to add text below the picture or the ad will not appear in search results. Pictures are not search-able, whether they have text in them or not will not be able to be picked up when people search. List your services and where you service in text below the picture.

Hmmmm... this brings up something I hadn't considered before...

I keep putting off advertising on Craigslist for fear of being "spammed to death". I just don't want to deal with having my business email address spammed - period.

I could always include my email in the GRAPHIC that I design. That way the bots won't be able to pick up on them. That and my phone number.

Any thoughts on that?
Without getting too far off the track of the OP's thread.

SpokaneSRC
03-29-2011, 01:13 AM
That's what I'm doing. Designing a graphic that has all contact info in it, then like The Cleaning Doc says - put key words under it so it's search-able. I'll see next month when I run it.

The Cleaning Doctor
03-29-2011, 02:20 AM
That's what I'm doing. Designing a graphic that has all contact info in it, then like The Cleaning Doc says - put key words under it so it's search-able. I'll see next month when I run it.

That wasn't me this time.

I did that very thing today with a logo contest and the business name as I did not want google to find it and take away one of his spots.

LawnSculptors
03-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Whoops, yeah I had intended to add text for search results, but completely forgot before posting it. Thanks for the reminder, it's fixed now. I've already had a handful of click-throughs to my site in the 14 or so hours the ad has been live, so I'm calling this experiment a success.

Several of them are likely visitors from this thread, you say? Hush.