PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start my business.

tyler99
03-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Hello everyone,
I am 16 and new to the forums, but have a few questions that you will probably think are dumb, but I would rather be dumb on here, then in front of a customer =].

To start out, I am trying to take my first season to learn, so I want to take it slow, so I am going to stick to to basics... Lawn cut, trim, edge, and blow.

1) How often do you edge the yard?
2) How do you go about billing... do you require payment before job, after job, after a month... ECT... also, How do you collect the money? Do they send it, or do you pick it up.
3) Do you offer any specials for first signups, such as a free first mow...?
4) How about price... what do you guys charge for what sizes of yards, and what services does that price include.

5) Since I am not legally able to sign a contract myself, as I am not 18, how should I go about customers? should I do a contract, or just do it by the week.

6) Do I charge more if It is only a 1 time mow, or if it is only a 1 month (4-5 mow), instead of a full year?

7... and important) How ex actually do you guys mow. Do you go through and rake up the fresh cut grass? Please provide details.

Thanks!

Steve
03-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Hi Tyler,

Here are some answers to your questions.

How often to edge a lawn (http://lawnchat.com/?p=958).

Ideally you want to get paid as soon as possible. If you can get paid before, that is great. If you can get paid right after, that is good too.

3) Do you offer any specials for first signups, such as a free first mow...?

Sure you can experiment with different inducements. One thing we see is a free mowing with an annual lawn care contract but the mowing is often put off until the end of the season so the customer doesnt just get a free mowing and then end service. But you gotta experiment and see what works best for you.

4) How about price... what do you guys charge for what sizes of yards, and what services does that price include.

We see on average of about $45 an hour, so when you know how long it takes to mow the property, you can compare it to that hourly fee.

5) Since I am not legally able to sign a contract myself, as I am not 18, how should I go about customers? should I do a contract, or just do it by the week.

I'd say keep it simple at first and go with a weekly mowing service until you get more time under your belt and get more comfortable in the business. Then you can scale up.

6) Do I charge more if It is only a 1 time mow, or if it is only a 1 month (4-5 mow), instead of a full year?

That is a judgment call you will have to make. If it is going to take you more time to service the property because it is not kept up, then you need to charge more. As you go on in this business you will also find that you will want to charge more for bi-weekly cuts versus weekly cuts.

7... and important) How ex actually do you guys mow. Do you go through and rake up the fresh cut grass?

Mulching or side discharge when mowing a lawn? (http://lawnchat.com/?p=781)

Keep us posted on how everything goes.

tyler99
03-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Thx a ton for the great reply Steve.

Steve
03-31-2011, 10:17 AM
You are welcome.

Keep us posted on how all this goes for you.

I am looking forwards to hearing about your next steps.