PDA

View Full Version : just starting

GreenMatters716
03-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Not sure how everything goes with taxes. I live in NY and wondering, do I pay taxes once a year or quarterly? Also what would be a tax write off in the lawn biz?

FirstClassLandscaping
03-28-2011, 03:19 PM
where in NY do you live?

GreenMatters716
03-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Im in the Buffalo area. I have no employees just me for now

jymie
03-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Sales tax is quarterly, State tax is once a year when you do your normal taxes. If your earnings are low, they will give you the option to file sales tax once a year, but I recommend you file quarterly regardless as its a whole lot easier to have that money every 3 months than try to have it after a year has gone by.

Shark1611
03-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Sales tax is quarterly, State tax is once a year when you do your normal taxes. If your earnings are low, they will give you the option to file sales tax once a year, but I recommend you file quarterly regardless as its a whole lot easier to have that money every 3 months than try to have it after a year has gone by.

I agree. If you do not do the quarterly it could bite you at year end. Sad thing in my area is that so many are not charging tax. Customers want me to match. Not gonna do it. I also have insurance. Now that seems to give me a step up with those who do not.

Steve
03-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Did you look into your federal taxes too? Those are quarterly as well.

Also what would be a tax write off in the lawn biz?
You will need to look into this further but I would think in general, all your expenses associated with your business. But you have to keep in mind, some larger expenses you can't write off in one year. You need to depreciate them over multiple years.

GreenMatters716
03-29-2011, 09:23 PM
no but in the process of looking for a good accountant

jymie
03-30-2011, 06:36 AM
All expenses for your business such as,

Gasoline
Cell Phone Bills
Vehicle Repair Bills
Insurances
Office Supplies
Product that you need to complete a job (Mulch, Flowers etc)
Equipment Repairs
Supplies for the Equipment (Trimmer Line, Mower Blades etc)

Are all tax deductible.

Save all your receipts, make a copy of each receipt as they do fade, in case you need to have proof of the receipt. Also keep a daily log of your miles you travel for the business. You may be able to claim mileage which is around .57 cents a mile. Write the starting & ending mileage on your run sheets each day, then transfer it to a master log sheet.

GreenMatters716
03-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Thank you! Thats good info to know