PDA

View Full Version : Out of town and state clients

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-28-2011, 11:39 AM
More and more of my clients live out of town and or state. I have never had a problem with payment yet but it does worry me. At times I ask for a installment payment before work begins. I do notice some will wait till the very last minute to pay. I heard it all. I'm waiting on a check to clear, the merchant account doesnt work, etc.

I do have it so I can take payments online. I even used paypal as a back up before. I was just wondering how you handles these types of customers.

Steve
03-29-2011, 11:48 AM
What kind of work are you performing for these out of area customers? Are these mowing or landscape jobs?

How are you currently handling your invoicing?

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Did a mulch job and a yard clean up for one, in the fall. I required a 50% deposit. Did follow up work this spring. A gutter install with materials paid by client in advance.

I just quoted another person for pressure washing. I don't think I'm getting this job since I haven't heard back yet.

I billed with a invoice program through my website. You can log in to pay your account or pay in the email that is sent.

I had a few more estimates for out of state landlords. I haven't had no problems yet besides a slow payment.

cruzgardening
03-31-2011, 01:39 AM
Did a mulch job and a yard clean up for one, in the fall. I required a 50% deposit. Did follow up work this spring. A gutter install with materials paid by client in advance.

I just quoted another person for pressure washing. I don't think I'm getting this job since I haven't heard back yet.

I billed with a invoice program through my website. You can log in to pay your account or pay in the email that is sent.

I had a few more estimates for out of state landlords. I haven't had no problems yet besides a slow payment.

i had my first out of state client last year he was also a landlord and the relationship has worked great i have done lots of small jobs after the landscape job i did last year with him. But i did require a 50% deposit to start and when i was almost done i requested the final payment. ofcourse he had signed a contract with me before we started.

now he just sends me payment as i invoice him :)

Steve
03-31-2011, 11:12 AM
i did require a 50% deposit to start and when i was almost done i requested the final payment. ofcourse he had signed a contract with me before we started.

How long did you do this for until you changed it to just billing him via invoice?

What's your advice on that for others to cover their butts?

cruzgardening
03-31-2011, 11:31 PM
How long did you do this for until you changed it to just billing him via invoice?

What's your advice on that for others to cover their butts?

it was after he signed a contract and i got his business and home information on his business letterhead that i decided to start billing him via invoice.

i would recommend everyone who works with anyone from out of state to have them sign a contract and you get 50% upfront for the project before you start any work i mean our work is not free anywhere in the States so cover yourself my friend.