PDA

View Full Version : starting mower

GreenMatters716
03-27-2011, 09:59 PM
I have to get a good size mower. This is my first season and the budget is a little tight. I have about $3200. to spend on a mower. I was wondering if I should get one of those residential Z turn mowers, some of them go for $2800 new for a 50in. I know it would only last for a season or 2 until I could save for a commercial mower, or should I look into a used commercial mower. Dont know what to do.. Any suggestions?

ToastedToad
03-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Low hour commercial that can be verified by a trusted shop would be the best bet I'd think. For that money you should be able to find a nice used walk behind or something.

devuono311
03-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Check out Craigslist, lots of goood mowers for someone starting out. Few things to check for:

If it has an hour meter, check the hours on it.
Oil check
Air filter ( take it apart and get a good look at it)
Reach underneath and grab the blades ( Careful) check to see that they are firm, meaning no up and down wobble,
Also, are they sharp?
Was the unit winterized before putting it away for any seasons?

These are just a few common things to check out.
Good Luck.

Walk behinds with jungle wheels are great, however a z-turn has its advantages also.
Find something built for commercial use, VERY IMPORTANT!

Again, Good Luck.

950thomas
03-28-2011, 12:49 PM
If u take the horse power on a commercial mower a multiply it times 100 that is about how many hours u should get out of the engine and double that on the rest of the mower

GreenMatters716
03-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Ok so definitely commercial? What would be considered low hours and what would be a good brand? As far as a walk behind do I go belt driven or hydro. I talked to a guy selling a 50in wright stander for $3000. and has 1600 hrs on it, he says its in good shape.Do you think that is worth it?

brian'slawncare
03-28-2011, 02:32 PM
question: I know there are belt driven and hydro mowers. Why is it called "hydro"

FirstClassLandscaping
03-28-2011, 03:23 PM
question: I know there are belt driven and hydro mowers. Why is it called "hydro"

hydro is short for hydraulic. which instead of belts driving the wheels its turned with hydraulic pumps one for each rear wheel.

picframer
03-28-2011, 05:44 PM
How many lawns are you doing a week and what is the largest one?

devuono311
03-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Hydro static driven are better in the long run, however, I might suggest taking on a belt driven to start out with. Easier to fix most problems yourself and easier to replace belts than the more expensive parts that can be tied into a hydro-static transmission.

GreenMatters716
03-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Not that many accts right now but just started marketing and hope to get more throughout the season

bruces
03-28-2011, 10:09 PM
have you looked at the quick mowers?you can get a brand new one within your pricerange .

GreenMatters716
03-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Have not look at them. Are they any good?

wandfsmall
03-29-2011, 10:28 PM

I recommend bobcat you will find it in the same price range as quick with dealer support.

bruces
03-29-2011, 10:33 PM

they are supposed to be pretty good,but as wand has said they dont have any dealers,just sell them from the factory .You might live close enough to the factory though ,that it might not matter to you .

wandfsmall
03-29-2011, 10:38 PM
they are supposed to be pretty good,but as wand has said they dont have any dealers,just sell them from the factory .You might live close enough to the factory though ,that it might not matter to you .

my problem with them is what happens if they have a bad year, with no real dealer support you could be in a world of hurt. If you can fix your own stuff it might be ok but you will most likely not be able to get any parts locally. Bobcat mowers can in a lot of cases be bought locally with a dealer to stand behind it for the same price.

GreenMatters716
03-30-2011, 10:08 PM
I thinking of coming up with a little more funds and get a new 36in commercial walk behind belt driven. I dont have a lot of accounts and that size could still get through gated back yards. It should be a good starter mower and if I do better than expected this season I will invest in a stander or Zturn..

wandfsmall
03-31-2011, 08:02 AM
I thinking of coming up with a little more funds and get a new 36in commercial walk behind belt driven. I dont have a lot of accounts and that size could still get through gated back yards. It should be a good starter mower and if I do better than expected this season I will invest in a stander or Zturn..

if you have a lot of gates in your area that is a good idea, A plus is you should be able to get it way under $3000 New or cheaper then that used.

GreenMatters716
03-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Yeah today I just looked at a new 36in scag for $2700.00 I think im going to purchase it. My next mower will be a stander or z turn. Its probably better to grow with the business and get bigger mowers as the accounts get bigger..

Steve
04-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Bobcat mowers can in a lot of cases be bought locally with a dealer to stand behind it for the same price.

Where is there competitive advantage then? Why do you think they chose this business model if they are going to be priced the same and then have no local mechanical support?

wandfsmall
04-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Where is there competitive advantage then? Why do you think they chose this business model if they are going to be priced the same and then have no local mechanical support?

They chose this model because the mower market is saturated with brands and dealers did not want to pick up another one. Especially one that looks like it was made in china(GXI and worldlawn look just like the quick) We see all kinds of lawsuits that could make parts for these units hard to get so we avoid the headaches as we have to face this guy who bought a mower from us and can not even get blades for it...

They have to sell direct or threw a store like home depot or lowes as they do not care about customer support or repair, they just send you to the local dealer for parts.