View Full Version : Ever thought of making your own mower?

01-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Ever thought of making your own mower? This site had some interesting insights into the process a mower went through to become a product sold to consumers.

Did you ever see this mower for sale?

From this pile of parts propped up on milk crates came the idea that would bring in millions in profits.

The first working prototype was called “BigMow”. It was used as the photo model for the business plan, a sales video, market research, and personal demonstrations to executives.

Numerous departments and talented people then collaborated to bring it to production, where it was an immediate success.

New Product Brings $10 Million Per Year In Revenues (http://www.sherwoodfarmgroup.com/newproductlaunch.htm) - For Troy-Bilt/ Garden Way, we invented an entirely new concept in lawn mowing, then helped other departments develop and implement it into a $10mm/year profit machine.

The concept was simple: To create “The fastest lawn mower in town.” If you’ve seen one of those $2,500 commercial “run-behind” mowers that turn on a dime and zip under and around shrubs, you know what we mean. The two questions were:
· Can a home-user version of that be made for half the price?
· Will anybody buy it?
With a $1,250 price being more than most riding mowers, experts doubted that people would buy a walking mower like this.

01-22-2007, 03:56 PM
I have thought of many times of making my own mower. They is something that is never included or never made "right" on the mowers that you have

01-22-2007, 04:04 PM
What would you like to do differently?

AMW Graphics
01-22-2007, 07:06 PM
I have a "special project" that i will do when i have some free time and extra space.

If I were to build it, it would:

1) Cut down on maintainance on the mowers.
2) Save a lot of money on fuel.
3) Very ECO friendly.
4) Simple to UPGRADE.
5) Much less wear and tear on the operator.
& More..

They would be right in the same price range as current riders, but with all the savings they will be much cheaper in the long run.

01-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Do you think mower companies who sell direct have a chance to survive against those who sell through dealers?

Is there any chance for a small start up to get off the ground?