PDA

View Full Version : scam?

mxr163
03-26-2011, 10:22 AM
This guy contacted me through craigslist a day after i posted....

Hello ____,
My name is ____ ________, I do work for mortgage companies and need someone willing to take on lawns in the area you service. The banks pay pretty good, they require digital camera photo's of the property before cutting and after cutting each time you have a work order. The work orders come down every day of the week so you'll receive these orders which will have to be completed and sent in within 2 days. You'll work orders are paid every two weeks. Tues. through Tues. usually receiving the check by Friday. If you have an interest in this work, contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx or drop me an e-mail __________

Thanks
____ _________

I did speak with him on the phone and gave him the zip codes i was interested in and i wanted to meet up with him, he said we would meet up on the first job. He said he is unable to keep up on the lawns this year. Is he just trying to help the bank out in that area to keep in good standing for doing other work for them you think? It just seems a little fishy to me.
What do you guys think?

The Cleaning Doctor
03-26-2011, 11:24 AM
I did speak with him on the phone and gave him the zip codes i was interested in and i wanted to meet up with him, he said we would meet up on the first job.

The bold part is the one I worry about. Also on the photos, I have heard nightmares from property preservation contractors where they would not get paid because they did not take a photo of them pouring the antifreeze down the sink drain. Be careful because these people will use any excuse to keep from paying.

It does sound a little fishy as who are they? The bank? Do you have a contact at the bank directly? If this guy is not paying you directly, you need to speak to whoever is.

Simpkins
03-26-2011, 11:54 AM
I agree with the doctor on this one. I would verify this guy is affiliated with the banks in question. Talk to whomever is signing the check and see exactly what they require of you.

If you are going to meet this guy and you work alone, take someone along with you. I'd also recommend some personal protection. At the very least, some vaseline.:eek:

Haha, seriously though, don't go alone.

mxr163
03-26-2011, 12:04 PM
haha, ya, i'll bring along a body guard.

ya, i believe contacting the banks and where the check is coming from is a good idea.

i figured on the downside of things, i work for 1 or 2 weeks till im supposed to be paid and see that there is something wrong. Then no more

Hedgemaster
03-26-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm pretty new to all of this yet, but it sounds like he can't get the work done alone and wants to subcontract you for some of it.

Sound about right? Otherwise, the BANK would be the one contacting you.

I dunno... you talked to him - I didn't, so you have a better feel for what's going on here, but I'd be wary. It may not even be legal for you to DO the work if HE is the one contracted to cut the properties.

shadrach
03-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Subbing work like this is not uncommon. "Bank" pays him and then he pays you is my guess. If it is legitimate he has a service agreement/contract that he has to follow and it will probably have provisions on him subcontracting and you will want to see it. Two days from getting work order to it being completed, documented and sent back seems kind of short. How are prices set?
Also be careful on the documentation - something not done exactly right or in the right time frame is probably grounds for them not to pay.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
03-26-2011, 07:38 PM
I have never expierenced this first hand. I would go with the Dr. Find out what is role is in all this. If he is sub ing it to you. Ask to see his contract. Ask if it is going to be under your insurance or his. I would also get a set price for each property. I work for a real estate company doing rentals and my contact is agency owner. We have a contract. I do not have to take photos. I list my services ie cutting lawn (bagging or not), edging, blowing it all down. It is all spelled out. I list all of the properties I have to do and as she adds them I send her a changed contract and have her initial next to each property. She then scans it and sends it back. CYOA!!!! Cover your own ***. You also want to know if the "banks" are paying you or he is. Then include I will be paid by weekly no later then Friday or what have you. If it's in writing you won't get burned and It will even hold up in Judge Judy's court is my Lawyer's favorite expression. Good luck. Sounds like alot of work. I would meet him at his office too. Know he is a reputable company check the BBB and what not. Be safe and Good luck just my 2 cents.

bruces
03-27-2011, 02:20 AM
whats wrong with meeting him at the first job site ?if it was work I might be interested in I would even meet him in a dark alley .Do you guys think there are some kind of gangsters that pick on the uber rich lawn guy?besides if you do get robbed,murdered or whatever your afraid of,your computer has his info in it,no breadcrumbs required .Nothing about his email to you sounds far fetched,or out of the ordinary ,even his not wanting to meet at his office,he might not have an office ,or he might want to show you a job in person,or he might want to see what your equipment looks like or who knows .Also,if you wanted to hire a sub,would you show the sub your contract ?I wouldnt for fear of him stealing my client,knowing exactly what I charge etc. .

The Cleaning Doctor
03-27-2011, 02:31 AM
The reason for skepticism on my part is that this falls under the property preservation trade and all you have to do is search and you will find plenty of stories about not getting paid. It is a very common occurrence.

Not all property preservation companies are bad but it is one area where you have to be very cautious. I don't think there is any personal danger here but there is the potential for not getting paid. Could you afford to work for 2 weeks and then not get paid? I have seen stories where a company was not paid because the photo was taken from a different angle. Or one where they did not take a picture of them pouring the antifreeze down the drain.

One other thing that concerns me is the 2 days to completion. Are you going to do these jobs to complete them on time to the detriment of your other customers? In the end your other customers are a longer term prospect than a preservation company.

shadrach
03-27-2011, 07:11 AM
I sub some of this type of work for a company that is in another state. There is a 5 page service agreement that does not mention prices but explains rules,procedures & payment schedules. This is something I would show to anyone I was subbing any of the work to.

bruces
03-27-2011, 12:00 PM
fair enough cleaning doctor ,but what is different between this customer and any other customer in regards to getting paid ?get a contract or work order signed for these jobs ,and the risk should in theory be no more or less than any other job ,and when you dont get paid,you can "lien" the job ,at least where I live .The original reply from the property guy,claimed it was for cutting ,which depending on the size and number of properties ,might end up just being a 1/2 hour mow and go job ,surely I can wait 2 weeks for payment on a job like that ,a large number of them might be another story ,but I know I can say no if and when I become uncomfortable with the situation .This situation sounds ideal for somebody with a few holes in their schedule ,and is certainly worth checking out with an open mind .

The Cleaning Doctor
03-27-2011, 03:49 PM
fair enough cleaning doctor ,but what is different between this customer and any other customer in regards to getting paid ?get a contract or work order signed for these jobs ,and the risk should in theory be no more or less than any other job ,and when you dont get paid,you can "lien" the job ,at least where I live .The original reply from the property guy,claimed it was for cutting ,which depending on the size and number of properties ,might end up just being a 1/2 hour mow and go job ,surely I can wait 2 weeks for payment on a job like that ,a large number of them might be another story ,but I know I can say no if and when I become uncomfortable with the situation .This situation sounds ideal for somebody with a few holes in their schedule ,and is certainly worth checking out with an open mind .

I agree it is worth checking out.

The difference is the reputation of the entire industry

Just like used car salesmen having a bad rap but not all of them are bad.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
03-27-2011, 11:23 PM
I agree. I would be interested. I saying A is safety is important. Around here people are stealing trailers and selling the equipment. I always lock up my equipment that isn't with me but some people drop a trailer and crew at a site and this is where the problem is accuring they are pulling up stealing the trailer removing the equipment and dumping the trailer. Then they are keeping or selling the equipment. I agree def. worth looking into. My point with seeing his contract was as Cleaning Dr. Pointed out knowing exactely what the client wants if pictures are required of what and what angles that sort of thing. Nothing like doing two weeks of work and not getting paid a cent because you didn't snap the photos right. Or didn't edge because you didn't know it was required. It would also inform him of the insurance required by him or by the sub if any. The "lefal side" of things is what I would be concerned about So I GET PAID. Good luck!

Golfball
03-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Hey,

I received the EXACT same message from a gentleman off of craigslist. We are based out of the Metro East St. Louis area. Seeing this has made me even more suspect of this guy. He rarely returns phone calls and has dodged 3 meetings so far. I would love the buisness, but am starting to think its a joke.

mxr163
03-29-2011, 05:54 PM
golfball, he sound like an older guy with a real raspy voice??

I'm in metro east area also man. That is pretty cool.

Ya, not sure what to think of it yet.

Golfball
03-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Yeah, he went by the name Gene. He said he was going to use us for all his foreclosures from Belleville to Edwardsville.

devuono311
04-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Interesting .... Im in west Michigan and was contacted today by a company for the same deal.... I filled out their app. and tax info. we'll see what goes.