PDA

View Full Version : Service Magic

DillonB92
03-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Does anyone use Service Magic.com to get work. I don't know how they got my number but they keep calling me. He said he can help get customers becasue there are only so many companies in my area and they have to turn away like 10 each month. Is it worth it? The guy said normally there is a $90 application fee for a back ground check but he said he'll work with me to get it waved.

I asked my parents teachers and friends and only like 1 person has heard about them. they have a radio commercial that comes on every day. Anyone know anything about them?
Servicemagic.com

950thomas
03-25-2011, 07:56 PM
I use them

jklawncare
03-25-2011, 08:09 PM
I looked into them
they got my information
they spam called my cell everyday trying to get me to pay the application fee after i said i wasnt interested.

i had to yell at someone for about an hour to get my number removed from there list..they called for months after i asked repeatedly for them to get rid of my number.

950thomas
03-25-2011, 08:13 PM
I get a lot of work from them the return on investment is worth it for me

DillonB92
03-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Yes JK they have called me quite often.

950 what kind of work do you get? is it anything that i could handle witha helper like you suggested i start out with?

950thomas
03-25-2011, 09:50 PM
I only have mine set up for irrigation and tree work but u can set it up for just lawn mowing and pick out which zip codes u want to work in plus u can set up how much u want to spend a month I just got a 4 grand job it only cost me 18 dollars plus now their my customer I don't pay but once some people hate service magic because they don't get good leads but it is no different than passing out door fliers

DillonB92
03-25-2011, 10:11 PM
o ok. Not to bad. I think i will go for it!

950thomas
03-25-2011, 10:22 PM
I got my cousin to use it he just mows with one helper and he has good luck with it

DillonB92
03-25-2011, 11:40 PM
o ok! is he around our area too? so if i understand this right you only pay if you get hired?

Simpkins
03-26-2011, 01:02 AM
They called me way back when too. I never went with them. I feel like there is too many "offers" out there that aren't that great and this sounded like one of them. I have noticed since then, though, that they do advertise to the general consumer. If they keep up with their advertising and people (potential customers) recognize them as the go to place, it would be an awesome investment. So far it appears they are on the right track.

The Cleaning Doctor
03-26-2011, 02:52 AM
o ok! is he around our area too? so if i understand this right you only pay if you get hired?

No you pay per lead. They also send it to 4 others so you have to be right on top of things or you pay for the lead and it is already gone when you call the customer.

jymie
03-26-2011, 06:47 AM
The good thing about service magic is they go through a process to verify that you are a legit business, so people that use them are assured of getting actual businesses and not just fly by night operations. I was considering using them last year but decided not to. They send you how ever many leads a month you want, you pay a set amount for each lead, whether they sign with you or not, so I felt that was a bit too much out of my pocket if all it gave me was estimates and no guarantees of getting the jobs. Of course I probably could have charged for any estimates that I would get from them but then who would want the estimate then.

shadrach
03-26-2011, 07:32 AM
I wouldn't use it to get mowing customers (mostly price shoppers and 1 time cuts) - I use it on higher profit services like aeration and seeding and do ok with it. You do have to call leads as soon as you get them though.

950thomas
03-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Yes he mows in midtown you pay for the lead even if u don't get the job

wellbiz
03-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Does anyone use Service Magic.com to get work. I don't know how they got my number but they keep calling me. He said he can help get customers becasue there are only so many companies in my area and they have to turn away like 10 each month. Is it worth it? The guy said normally there is a $90 application fee for a back ground check but he said he'll work with me to get it waved.

I asked my parents teachers and friends and only like 1 person has heard about them. they have a radio commercial that comes on every day. Anyone know anything about them?
Servicemagic.com

I use them. Just started this year. So far the leads have been good and I have sold a few really good jobs.

DillonB92
03-26-2011, 02:55 PM
hmm... I'll have to think about it. I'm leaning more towards doing it though.
how much is the lead price?

950thomas
03-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Depends on what category u are listed in mine are 10 to 25 I think mowing is like 5

9 Yards Lawncare
03-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Depends on what category u are listed in mine are 10 to 25 I think mowing is like 5

I'd be careful. We were referred to SM from a friend who knew another local company that was using it. Supposedly, the other guy was paying like $7 a lead, not bad. When we talked with them, it was $12 for a "market match" lead (where they give the lead to 3-4 companies) and $18 for an "exact match". This is where a customer picks you from a list of area provider.

That being said, even though you are supposed to be the "only" servicer to get that lead, if the customer goes and contacts another company on that list after the fact, they "exact match" them again to ANOTHER COMPANY.

We are turning off the service for awhile. I agree with above that it's not really that profitable for those with lower cost services.

Let us know what you decide

950thomas
03-27-2011, 10:53 AM
I have done about 60 grand in business from service magic in the 12 months I get some bs leads but u will get crap out of the yellow pages I love service magic for bigger jobs what works for some doesn't work for others

DillonB92
03-27-2011, 04:11 PM
950: Whats the name of your cousins business?

Do you get the leads emailed to you or texted or what?

950thomas
03-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Z z lawns I don't no what way he gets them sent I have them text fax and call my leads in

DillonB92
03-28-2011, 10:54 PM
is it a text message or is it an email sent to your phone?

950thomas
03-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Text and ph call plus they fax and email

bgarlow
03-30-2011, 11:46 AM
If you're looking to grow, Service Magic is a great investment.

We're in Southwestern Michigan, the Kalamazoo area. We signed up with Service Magic in July 2010 and it grew our business right away. It is a VERY SMALL investment to create your profile and become one of there vendors. Yes, you pay for leads, which is hard to get used to, but they do a thorough job of making sure you are set up to succeed. Its worth the phone calls and followups from them. (((A residential lawn lead runs about $12, commercial leads are like $20. Its a 1X fee per lead. We had about a 70% bidding success rate. In 2010, we spent $600 for their Service Magic leads... it brought us $30,000 in NEW BUSINESS last year alone - and we didn't start with them until July))).

Honestly, we had so many leads coming in to us in the fall (for leaf cleanups and snow plowing) that we had to temporarily suspend the service in November and didn't restart it again until March 1st of this year. That in itself should tell you something.

To be fair, I wanted to point out the only 2 negative elements of the service: (1) ServiceMagic offers "leads" the option to be directly connect to you via telephone (if the lead is an exact match to your criteria). This is painful when you're an owner/operator. Your phone rings, your just finishing up a lawn, your tired & dripping sweat, ...and its a recording saying "please hold while I connect you to your Service Magic perfect match lead"...you find yourself scrambling to find something you can scratch notes on and it tends to make you sound unprofessional to the caller. Inconvenient more than anything. But, all those leads are safely stored on your Service Magic account portal so you can followup on them when you get time.
(2) Website offer. They have a partner company that does websites. They will build you a site for $50 (which sounds like a great deal). Then this "partner" charges $25/month for it. Month-to-month (so you're not locked in or anything). The $50 site itself is only 2 pages and its rather "cookie cutter" looking. But, it does get hits because they register it with the major seach engines like Google & Yahoo. The Service Magic Seal is a great eye-catcher on the site, they also give you a contact page so people can email you for quotes and such.

All-in-all.... I'd recommend the service if you're looking to put your advertising money into something that gets results.

Hope this info helps!

Garlow Property Maintenance LLC
Portage, Michigan
www.garlowpropertymaintenance.com

Steve
03-31-2011, 10:36 AM
How did service magic compare to your other marketing methods and have you stopped all other marketing now because of this service?

bgarlow
04-01-2011, 03:48 PM
I found that this was the most effective campaign to date. We had traditionally ran ads in the local paper in the spring and fall... which ran between $100 - $200 per time (depending on how long we ran the insertion). The return on print ads was very small and nearly impossible to track without a very conscious effort to ask every caller that contacted us. In 2009 we did a postcard mailer campaign (through VistaPrint). About a $600 investment and we got very little response, maybe 2-3 small jobs... nothing worth doing it again. From 2006-2009, we had traditionally placed an ad in our local paper to run 2 days ($85-$100) in the early spring for lawncare and again in the last summer/early fall for leaf cleanups... we did get a few good jobs from that marketing investment, but it was nothing compared to ServiceMagic's results. All-in-all, it has definately been the best investment for us that generated long term, re-curring revenue.

mcleargrounds
04-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I just signed up last week. I am in Macomb Ccounty Michigan and my current target is 10 mile radius with 2 leads per week - $24 cost. I haven't received any leads yet - but I will keep everyone updated.

The services I found helpful was the advertising support. They gave a lot of great advice with regard to marketing your business - and how to grow your business as a whole.

Also, I have my own website - and now I can advertise with a the Service Magic seal of approval.

Steve
04-04-2011, 09:59 AM
It seems like this service may work in some areas while it doesn't work too well in others.

The services I found helpful was the advertising support. They gave a lot of great advice with regard to marketing your business - and how to grow your business as a whole.

What kind of advice stood out?

Shark1611
05-19-2011, 05:05 PM
If you're looking to grow, Service Magic is a great investment.

We're in Southwestern Michigan, the Kalamazoo area. We signed up with Service Magic in July 2010 and it grew our business right away. It is a VERY SMALL investment to create your profile and become one of there vendors. Yes, you pay for leads, which is hard to get used to, but they do a thorough job of making sure you are set up to succeed. Its worth the phone calls and followups from them. (((A residential lawn lead runs about $12, commercial leads are like $20. Its a 1X fee per lead. We had about a 70% bidding success rate. In 2010, we spent $600 for their Service Magic leads... it brought us $30,000 in NEW BUSINESS last year alone - and we didn't start with them until July))).

Honestly, we had so many leads coming in to us in the fall (for leaf cleanups and snow plowing) that we had to temporarily suspend the service in November and didn't restart it again until March 1st of this year. That in itself should tell you something.

To be fair, I wanted to point out the only 2 negative elements of the service: (1) ServiceMagic offers "leads" the option to be directly connect to you via telephone (if the lead is an exact match to your criteria). This is painful when you're an owner/operator. Your phone rings, your just finishing up a lawn, your tired & dripping sweat, ...and its a recording saying "please hold while I connect you to your Service Magic perfect match lead"...you find yourself scrambling to find something you can scratch notes on and it tends to make you sound unprofessional to the caller. Inconvenient more than anything. But, all those leads are safely stored on your Service Magic account portal so you can followup on them when you get time.
(2) Website offer. They have a partner company that does websites. They will build you a site for $50 (which sounds like a great deal). Then this "partner" charges $25/month for it. Month-to-month (so you're not locked in or anything). The $50 site itself is only 2 pages and its rather "cookie cutter" looking. But, it does get hits because they register it with the major seach engines like Google & Yahoo. The Service Magic Seal is a great eye-catcher on the site, they also give you a contact page so people can email you for quotes and such.

All-in-all.... I'd recommend the service if you're looking to put your advertising money into something that gets results.

Hope this info helps!

Garlow Property Maintenance LLC
Portage, Michigan
www.garlowpropertymaintenance.com

They have been calling me for about 10 months now. I just got one today asking for me to join in that they need people in my area of Texas. Will they tell me how many people in my area are signed up? I started this business 11 months ago and it has been growing very fast. I just left my full time job last week to do this full time now. A part of me is looking a calling them but I am a one man show. I do have the time right now to mow more lawns and I need to store up my money now while the grass is growing. I hear them on the local radio here all the time so I think I would get calls. Most if my jobs are around $50.00 for mow, trim, and blow. These are not huge yards but they take me about an hour. Thanks for the information I guess I will read a bit more on this.

Shark1611
05-19-2011, 05:07 PM
I just signed up last week. I am in Macomb Ccounty Michigan and my current target is 10 mile radius with 2 leads per week - $24 cost. I haven't received any leads yet - but I will keep everyone updated.

Also, I have my own website - and now I can advertise with a the Service Magic seal of approval.

Give us an update. Has it paid off?

Liberty Landscaping LLC
05-19-2011, 07:24 PM
I signed up with them last month. My first week I was getting "leads" that were a month old and they all already had companies that they were using. Then I complained and they said they would remove all of those and they never did. The ones that were current were mostly people price shopping trying to find a cheaper service. I had some people that never responded to my calls. I am very unhappy out of almost 100 leads I had one that wanted my service and that one turned out to be only for 2 weeks while their company was on vacation. They are calling me know asking for money and I said I am not paying the whole amount for their service I understand I owe them but I am not paying full price for something that never worked out. They stated how do we know if next year they are going to use you....LOL I am still fighting with them. Try getting someone on the phone for customer service too never succeded.

Steve
05-20-2011, 05:13 AM
They are calling me know asking for money and I said I am not paying the whole amount for their service I understand I owe them but I am not paying full price for something that never worked out.

What kind of costs are associated with this service?

Also, can you tell us what your view was on why you decided to try this service?

In general to all members, I wanted to say there are a lot of factors that are going to be involved in whether this service will work for you.

A couple of things I want to point out.

First off, take any gleaming positive results you see on this forum about this service or any product/service with a grain of salt, especially when it is made by a member who you haven't had a history of seeing many posts from them and where you have built up your trust in their opinion over time.

Secondly, early on, it is my opinion that you really need to hustle and learn the ins and outs of promoting yourself before you look to hand over the reigns to another service to do it for you. I think all to often, newer business owners get frustrated with their lack of customers and look to an unknown in hopes of finding them customers.

So be wary and use caution with your advertising dollars. Experiment a little with different methods and track them. As you get positive results from some, scale up your spending on them as you scale down your spending on marketing methods that don't work.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
05-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Steve.
They have two fee methods. One is a referal that the lead is sent to multiple comapnies which is about $12 the other is a direct lead that is only sent to you which is like $18. The fees are different based on the work requested. It was funny that I got so many leads and not a single one panned out. I am very profesional and have a great presentation. The work was either way out of my coverage area and they thought I was paying the fee for it or they were price shopping. Some were services I just didn't perform and you click the ones you preform and yet I still got leads that were hidden like pavers that were clicked as mulch. Just look into it alot and see if it will really work for you. They never did tell me how many companies were in my area signed up with them. There customer service is HORRIBLE it took me 3 days to get someone on the phone and that was the person that signed me up and forwarded my call. There is a live advisor thing that did work to make changes to my profile but as far as trying to remove "fake" leads meaning ones that weren't my area or not my type of work they said no problem they will be removed and it was till the next day when I got a email saying the number listed was a good contact and the lead fee was reapplied. Just not something for me at all. I am looking into other medias for advertising. Good luck if anyone has questions you can message me.

Steve
05-23-2011, 04:14 AM
One is a referal that the lead is sent to multiple comapnies which is about $12

I wonder if they have a limit as to how many companies they will send the lead to. If not, I would think instead of hiring this company, it would be better to buy stock in them!

Shark1611
06-06-2011, 10:27 PM
This has caused me to not use SM. I am getting business and it has been by word of mouth. I am glad to read these post to help me with the understanding of my gut feeling about all this. For some it may work, but if I am getting business without them then the money is all mine.

cruzgardening
06-07-2011, 02:46 AM
Hey guys there is a local website who i have tried out they sound very similar to service magic but the thing is that i can get a hold of the girl who signed me up and their costumer service they only charge me $4 per lead and i get to choose to not pay until the job is performed or i can upgrade to get unlimited leads for $75 which i think is way cheaper then Service magic. I'm guessing you guys can find something local also who will do the same thing as Service magic but with better costumer service? good luck out there and remember some times smaller companies do a better job then huge ones :)

sean.grue
06-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Is there a start up cost or do you just pay for the leads?

Thanks,

http://www.gruesomegrass.com/images/logo.png

www.gruesomegrass.com (http://www.gruesomegrass.com)

950thomas
06-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Service majic is good if u no how to use it right u do get bad leads but that is no different than having a yellow page ad and not getting a single phone call so do u not pay them because u did not get a ph call that is just the cost of advertising

Liberty Landscaping LLC
06-07-2011, 10:55 PM
I understand your point but when you get about 80 leads and none of them pan out its really annoying...

jev2740
06-08-2011, 06:34 AM
I've been using service magic for a couple of months now after they had called me for about two years after i looked into them originally.

Really i think its been one of the better decisions i made. I have a Droid smartphone so i get a text message and email in real time as the customer is filling out the inquiry. Im calling these people before they are done on the website and while the work they are thinking about is fresh in their minds.

In some cases i have the customer calling me because they found me on service magic. Other customers give reviews and its really helped me expand things here.