PDA

View Full Version : Facebook

element009
03-23-2011, 08:36 AM
I'm working on a website right now, but I also want to put my company on Facebook. I did a very quick search, and most lawn care/landscaping companies I found on Facebook have a very minimal presence. Pretty much just a picture and maybe a sentence or 2 about the company.

I'm looking for suggestions to take it further than that. Is there more I can do? Has anyone here actually gained customers by using Facebook? If so, what does your company's facebook page consist of?

CHEESE2009
03-23-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm working on a website right now, but I also want to put my company on Facebook. I did a very quick search, and most lawn care/landscaping companies I found on Facebook have a very minimal presence. Pretty much just a picture and maybe a sentence or 2 about the company.

I'm looking for suggestions to take it further than that. Is there more I can do? Has anyone here actually gained customers by using Facebook? If so, what does your company's facebook page consist of?

It's useless.

Personally, I believe that only your current customers would make the effort in searching up your NAME over your company. Just to snoop around and be like, well... we're all like that.

When I'm involved with people of sorts, I often check to see if they have a FB profile... It's true, people aren't really what they seem to be.

For grabbing attention, consider it useless unless you're Mr. Popular and everyone joins your group/page -etc.

Main Point: Facebook is a very crummy directory. It doesn't hurt to have a presence though!

Simpkins
03-23-2011, 10:44 AM
I have to agree with Cheese here. I don't see you gaining customers by having a facebook page. On the other hand, most everybody today has a facebook account. There is no doubt some of your current customers will "like" your page (and as Cheese mentioned) snoop around. I think it is highly valuable for this reason. It can add a personal touch to the relationship you have with your clients.

cleancutlawncare5382
03-23-2011, 11:39 AM
I ran an ad last week on FB. I elected a very low daily balance $5 just to see if the phone would ring. The $5 bucks were gone in less than 1/2 day. I let it run another 2 days and pulled it. Fast $15 gone.

Just my 2cents

Steve
03-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Personally, I believe that only your current customers would make the effort in searching up your NAME over your company. Just to snoop around and be like, well... we're all like that.

There is no doubt some of your current customers will "like" your page (and as Cheese mentioned) snoop around.

What's your thoughts on the downside to snooping? How can it negatively effect your lawn care business?

jymie
03-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Thats the dangers of pay per click advertising. Yahoo paid employees to click ads all day long just to get more money out of their customers. Google adwords seems to be honest, but I still do not trust pay per click advertising.

The Cleaning Doctor
03-23-2011, 04:50 PM
I have gotten customers off of facebook but here is the advantage

You post on the page and your customer likes the post now all their friends see it. It does work. I have people posting about the sites I have built lately and I now have 2 others in the works plus one more of my own. Make that 2 more....LOL

Some it work and some it does not but if used correctly it can bring you in work or even add to the link power to your site.

To answer your question, yes you need to be on facebook. Many searches I have done for the deck staining site, the facebook page has popped up.

Hedgemaster
03-23-2011, 08:15 PM
I can see it being useful for someone new like myself, where most of my jobs are from "word of mouth".
Facebook is "electronic" word of mouth.

That said, I still don't have an account because I have never used it, and don't fully understand it. I'd like to use it for my business and not for personal use, but it seems that there are limitations to doing it that way that seem to defeat the purpose of having JUST a business profile.

Steve asked about a "downside", and here's one that I can think of that is partly why I haven't signed up...

All those people who are linked to your account (friends, likes, whatever it's called) are a reflection of you - like it or not.
What if you have a "friend" who posts something nice on your page, but a potential customer clicks on his/her profile because they were curious about them... what if that friend has posted all sorts of immature, douchebaggery everywhere you look? I dunno... maybe I'm overreacting, but a business has an image to maintain.

Another thing that I am concerned about is that I am a firearm enthusiast. "Guns" are a very polarizing issue for some people. Mostly it's a problem for those who oppose gun ownership, and unfortunately, those types are more likely to avoid my services if they "discover" (gasp!) that I'm a gun owner.
I mention this because many of the people who would be linked to my page would also be gun owners - unapologetic, unashamed, GUN owners. Could this be an issue? Judging from the bias I see people use against others with differing views (really I'm only talking about one group here), I'd say it could be a problem.

I probably should have started a thread on that topic. Hopefully I don't derail this thread too much.

element009
03-23-2011, 08:16 PM
I found this article about the uses of facebook for business. It's got some good ideas to maximize the use of a facebook page.

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/facebook-101-business-guide/

Simpkins
03-23-2011, 09:56 PM
What's your thoughts on the downside to snooping? How can it negatively effect your lawn care business?

Just as Hedge pointed out. You (and by you I mean your company) are being judged from EVERY angle "like" it or not. (no pun intended) If you do employ this method (and I think it's a good idea to do so) you have to be extra careful about what you post and monitor your "friends" activity as well.

PS I hate using that "no pun intended" after reading this (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=puns). \

Disclaimer: The link above leads to a site that not all will appreciate the humor.

Double Disclaimer: Cheese, the above disclaimer wasn't for you. I think you'll love it! ;)

Steve
03-24-2011, 04:31 PM
I found this article about the uses of facebook for business. It's got some good ideas to maximize the use of a facebook page.

Out of that article, what do you feel you were able to pull from it that you applied to your facebook page?

I mention this because many of the people who would be linked to my page would also be gun owners - unapologetic, unashamed, GUN owners. Could this be an issue?

I think you brought up a very important point. How do you take a social networking site that because of it's nature has social interactions going on and keep it all middle of the road and politically neutral? Isn't that ultimately what you have to do? If you don't won't you surely offend someone?

Then if that is the case and you can't keep everything, light and fluffy and neutral, then are you going to be hurting yourself and ultimately your business?

bstsrvcs
03-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Facebook can be EXTREMELY polarizing. It is possible to have a company page.

I have gotten clients via Facebook because the indy newspaper I run ads in blasts my info on FB as well.

It might be more effective to go through someone else as a means to drive FB traffic to your company website. Ask your clients to mention they use you on FB. It will take away the stigma associated with potential clients digging into your personal life.

justin_time
03-24-2011, 09:56 PM
I try to keep it personal, and business. I use my business page to advertise pretty much and keep my customers posted while my personal life, it's another thing

element009
03-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Out of that article, what do you feel you were able to pull from it that you applied to your facebook page?

Well the first part is all about setting up your personal profile the right way (mainly the privacy settings). It's advice about how to separate yourself from the business profile, which addresses the problem of your personal views being available to those who "like" your business.

There's a lot of other general tips about increasing your Facebook fanbase. One thing that stuck out to me was that a business will not start seeing "measurable" results until their fanbase reaches between 500-1000 (a pretty large range I think). I just wonder if the work you have to put in to get this quantity of followers is worth it. Couldn't your time be better spent advertising directly to residences or businesses that you covet?

What do you think?

psparaco
03-24-2011, 10:44 PM
I have signed up 2 clients from facebook 2 years ago. grant it those customers are no longer customers due to one dieing and another moving into an apartment. but fb does work.

I now have a business fb page for my company and all my current customers who have a fb are my friend on it. I use it to remind my client list of upcoming bills, etc. cause i've noticed most check their facebook first before they tend to check their email.

Fisher
03-24-2011, 11:05 PM
I have set a page up though I have yet to do much with it. I do feel though that once my current customers start to actually "Like" it that I will be able to do daily tips and ideas to help them with their needs or to help them realize another service that I may be able to provide.

There is also a Facebook market place which I am told is basically a FB version of craigslist. I have been told by some with retail and other services that it is nice free advertising.

Paineless Creations
03-24-2011, 11:10 PM
So here is what I am doing on my facebook. I am giving good advice on my facebook. I have alot of my friends and family and some people on here as a like. What is happening is my friends tell other people they heard tips from Paineless Creations and my name is getting out there. I actually enjoy putting tips online when I see these Friends in person they always say great post.
When I put on there aerating service I got a couple of people from it.

so give me a like
www.facebook.com/PainelessCreations

element009
03-24-2011, 11:26 PM
I like what your doing on Facebook, Paineless. That's definitely what I have in mind for my own presence there. Thanks for sharing!

Paineless Creations
03-25-2011, 08:49 AM
I like what your doing on Facebook, Paineless. That's definitely what I have in mind for my own presence there. Thanks for sharing!

Hey no problem!!

Hedgemaster
03-25-2011, 05:26 PM
I try to keep it personal, and business. I use my business page to advertise pretty much and keep my customers posted while my personal life, it's another thing

I don't follow.
How can they be kept "separate" if they are linked? (Assumed they had to be linked)

Also, even if not, like I mentioned before, those people commenting on your page can be "clicked on", and that's where it could get "iffy".

bstsrvcs
03-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Try this -

Ask one of your full service clients if they would host an afternoon luncheon as a way to introduce some new people to what you do and so they can see your handiwork firsthand. Grill hot dogs and make potato salad. Comp the host's service for 2 weeks for letting you have a 1 hour picnic. It's a chance to educate prospective clients and make your current one feel like a superstar.

Post this as a Facebook event and spread the word until 50 or so people sign up. If you are good at confirming the Facebook RSVPs, you will have 20-25 perspective clients happily munching away on a Saturday afternoon while you tell them all about the great work you're doing for the host.

Using Facebook, this will work if you live in a fairly metro area.

Steve
09-05-2014, 03:42 PM
I know we haven't had much input lately on using facebook to promote your lawn care business, but does anyone have any insights to share from experimenting with it this year to gain more customers?

Any pros or cons in their experiences?

SGL1
09-06-2014, 02:02 AM
I have a Facebook page and presence because one, it's FREE and two, everyone is on Facebook. It gives you credibility in my opinion. I gained my first three customers on Facebook.

I list my link on my business cards. I keep my page updated constantly with information helpful to my customers or potential customers and also have a Paypal link posted so my customers can pay that way if they choose to do so.

I haven't found a cheap business web provider yet and I've had a website before with another business that sucked more money than it provided so until I get to the point that my business can afford me a website I will continually seek free advertising i.e. Craigslist, Facebook, Google, etc.

Great service and word of mouth is the best advertising.

AKDave
09-06-2014, 11:48 PM
We have a Facebook page that gets used all the time. Even though the count is low, I added over a dozen regular customers by having the page and advertising in local groups for my area. I also use Craiglist. In my area, I am the 4th largest mowing service and have never had an ad in the newspaper or on the radio. My clientele comes mostly thrugh an online presence and word of mouth. Do a good job and your customers will refer you to their friends. It really does work

avetslawncare
09-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Thats a great idea...I have also thought about:

Having a Christmas party and inviting clients..a drop in kind of thing

Having a BBQ/watch football.....

Renting a box at the minor league baseball stadium

This would give an opportunity to talk to clients more since they usually are not home when I am there (many of them I have never met).

Tell them about other services you offer

Some how you could tell them to bring a few guests.

This would be awesome if you invite other business owners of different companies (realtors, business owners with physical locations who need lawn management companies... and you could invite them to invite other business owners)....networking networking networking