PDA

View Full Version : HI I'm new :)

Vaulter721
03-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Hello everyone,

So I went seeking a website about lawn care maintenance because my boyfriend is in the business and seems to be hitting some bumps in the road with things. Well lo and behold, I found the perfect site!!

I've read a bunch of posts and everyone has such good information and advice, I can't wait to tell my bf about this forum :)

My name is Lynda, and I live in Illinois (from WI originally). I've worked with mowing in the past (at a cemetary) and have an interest in gardens and landscaping type stuff.

My boyfriend Tim has a lawn care business that he started when he was 14. He started with neighborhood lawns and has progressed from there.

I look forward to reading more and getting advice from everyone here!

Simpkins
03-23-2011, 04:32 AM
Welcome to the forums! It really is a great place to learn and grow your business. What kind of "bumps" are being hit? Maybe some others around here have experienced some similar things and can give direct advice.

I wrote a short "e-book (http://www.jdsimpkins.com/marketing-your-lawn-care-business.html)" on some general marketing strategies. You are welcome to check it out.

Steve
03-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Welcome to our forum!

So I went seeking a website about lawn care maintenance because my boyfriend is in the business and seems to be hitting some bumps in the road with things.

Give us some insight as to the types of bumps in the road he is hitting.

Vaulter721
03-25-2011, 11:53 AM
He has many residential accounts, but hasn't had any commercial ones yet. He went in to a place where he did snowplowing this past winter to give them a lawn care contract (bid) and they looked it over and told him no.

Basically because his price was too high for the amount of services he was offering. This was mainly because he didn't know what all to include in his price. He isn't sure how to write up a commercial contract and it left him feeling unprepared.

Now he just got a call from a condo association manager and they want him to take a look and give them an estimate. He will be going there today. Any recommendations on what to look for?

I will have him post up after he looks at it to give more of an idea of the job.

afpettijohns
03-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Glad to meet you. I am new here also. i found out about the forum from downloading the database software they offer. It's great and huge amounts of info here. I'm going through the Lawn Business School and having my family go through it too. Though not specific to a climate like mine, it is very helpful.

See you in the funny pages.:p

Steve
03-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Why not focus on residential accounts now and build that up first, then later go for the commercial accounts?

950thomas
03-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Stick with residential until u build up good cash flow because commercial properties take 30 to 45 days to pay