PDA

View Full Version : limited funds

prescott
03-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Even though I've been at this game for a few yrs. I'm approaching tjis yr. as if it's my first. If you had $200.00 to spend on marketing, what type of marketing would you spend it on? Lettering for the trk. and trl.(again); print advertising; what's your thoughts. Have had some success with referals and I use craigslist,with some positive outcomes. So, fire away... prescott

Simpkins
03-22-2011, 11:28 PM
$200.00 advertising budget. I would say door hangers for sure. You can print these out yourself to save money.

Try to get another locally owned business to let you put a "ballot box" on their counter where their customers can enter a drawing for a free cut.

Buy a few books of stamps and send some hand written letters out to real estate agents and/or newlyweds (find a sample letter here (http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34))

Take the $200.00 to advertise for something totally different! Bare with me for a minute. Everyone loves this time of year. It's time to smell the fresh cut grass, go fishing with your son, and have neighbors over for a BBQ. Organize a BBQ rib cookoff in your community. (could be anything you want to cook really, ribs are tasty though ;) ) Charge people a small fee to enter their special ribs and donate all proceeds to your local soup kitchen or something similar. Get another local business to co-sponsor the event. You could create quite a lot of buzz around your business with this approach I would think.

Edit: I should add, at the cookoff, have your truck, trailer and equipment all neatly on display. Pass out fliers and business cards there. Offer a special discount to people that enter or otherwise donate to the charity of your choice. You could probably even get a local radio station to cover the event. The sky is the limit! Think big!

Just a few low cost ideas I wanted to through out. Let us know what you ultimately decide on and how it works.

Hope this helps some. :D

ToastedToad
03-23-2011, 01:27 AM
I like the ballot box idea....if you could get two or three up around town...hmmm...I think I sees me a new strategy.

matt spinniken
03-23-2011, 08:32 AM
With only $200 I think I would do doorhangers and direct sales calls. I would try and do some networking by sending a letter introducing yourself to other companies that you could refer. Also, it would be a good idea to work on your web presence....craigslist, facebook, etc.

CHEESE2009
03-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Get business cards made and use them instead of flyers... They are the least expensive option that I can think of.

$100 = e.g; 2000 business cards

Now go buy some small "cute" envelops (green, yellow, light blue)
to put your cards inside of...

Get a custom stamp, and stamp your logo on the envelops.

Send them out like a damn mad man!

You will inherit success, and many woman.

Sources
www.vistaprint.com / .ca

I have been using them for awhile now!

/////////////

Me before:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/sad-businessman.jpg

Me now:
http://goldgrill.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/gold-grills.jpg

THANKS VISTAPRINT!

Steve
03-23-2011, 01:44 PM
As you look back, was there certain marketing you did that you found to be effective? Does anything stand out or are you looking for totally new ideas?

prescott
03-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Steve, to answer your question, what marketing worked best for me in the past. Mostly in the past it has been word of mouth. Then the economy went south! I didn't really need to do any advertising. But since the economy has stayed in the crapper, I have lost some of my clients. As I'm still buried under bills from winter;Ive been trying the cold calling(no jobs yet),along with passing out cards like crazy. Will keep you all posted on progress. Once again, thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

WilliamsLawn
03-30-2011, 12:20 AM
I thought I might be able to help you out with a really nice door hanger. The company I deal with for printing for my customers have a door hanger that you can have your business card at the bottom. The hanger is perforated and people can take the card of and hang on to it. They are laminated so they are water resistant. Works well outdoors. Bad news is though a 1000 on 12 pt card stock is 375.00 with design fees. You can get 2000 on 80# paper for the same price. They are full color front and back but it would push your budget higher.