PDA

View Full Version : Showing Off

afpettijohns
03-22-2011, 10:29 AM
I was hoping to show off my website and see if anyone had any suggestions or advice. I started it out as a 25 plus pager and thought it was too complicated brought it down to only 6 including the site map to make it easier for potential clients to find info they needed.

I am a proud parent of it, I created it from scratch. :rolleyes:

Check it out for me: http://www.afpettijohns.com

Hedgemaster
03-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Looks good to me.

I don't have time to pick through it, but from what I quickly saw, it seems easy to read/understand/navigate.

(Funny, that mower image image gets around.)

element009
03-22-2011, 01:25 PM
I think the design is very good. It's visually appealing and the navigation is simple....

You may want to have someone edit it for you. I noticed a few spelling mistakes (e.g. "then" instead of "than") as well as some punctuation errors (commas missing) and a few alignment issues. .

Also, I was a little confused in your "About" page when you just mentioned "Aleister". After a minute, I figured it's probably your first name. But since it's not a common name, you may want to add a sentence or two introducing yourself, the owner, as Aleister, and from there go on to tell your story.

Hope this helps

afpettijohns
03-22-2011, 02:07 PM
I think the design is very good. It's visually appealing and the navigation is simple....

You may want to have someone edit it for you. I noticed a few spelling mistakes (e.g. "then" instead of "than") as well as some punctuation errors (commas missing) and a few alignment issues. .

Also, I was a little confused in your "About" page when you just mentioned "Aleister". After a minute, I figured it's probably your first name. But since it's not a common name, you may want to add a sentence or two introducing yourself, the owner, as Aleister, and from there go on to tell your story.

Hope this helps

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed. This forum is so much help. I am grateful for this. That is fixed.

The Cleaning Doctor
03-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Not bad at all. In the header photo there needs to be more contrast with the name. You can not read it.

If you are going to try and rank in your area, I hope there is little competition but I doubt that. The reason being is the meta tags are either missing or wrong.

For instance the Title tag for the main page says "Home" This is what your see in the tab and in the blue bar at the top of the browser window. The problem is that you want to rank for something like "Lawn Mowing Yorba Linda"

Right now you are telling the search engines that you are HOME!

afpettijohns
03-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Not bad at all. In the header photo there needs to be more contrast with the name. You can not read it.

If you are going to try and rank in your area, I hope there is little competition but I doubt that. The reason being is the meta tags are either missing or wrong.

For instance the Title tag for the main page says "Home" This is what your see in the tab and in the blue bar at the top of the browser window. The problem is that you want to rank for something like "Lawn Mowing Yorba Linda"

Thanks for that, I see what you mean. I think it's fixed. I was never any good at meta tags and SEO. Appriciate it.

Hedgemaster
03-22-2011, 11:35 PM

I'm confused. You say this, but when I looked at your sites, they all say "About" or "testimonials", or whatever up in the browser when on those pages.

Am I missing something here, cuz I'm focused on "keywords" today, and my head is ready to explode.

jymie
03-23-2011, 08:24 AM
It appears that you have it right.

CHEESE2009
03-23-2011, 11:07 AM
I made my website entirely from scratch.

Everything on it, is made by me. I have wasted a good portion of several wonderful evenings fooling around with ideas, lol.

www.breezelawnservice.ca

The website is not complete, there is (still) the loading issue I have yet to get to. (The site will work, but it will take a few seconds to start up. It will run smoothly once it has been loaded)

/////////////////

Did you create yours using html, etc? Or are you using a template your host provided you with? I'd say it's pretty neat! If you need any suggestions on how to remove all of your chances with 'metatags' let me know! I'm all about not caring about that jumbo!:D

afpettijohns
03-23-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm confused. You say this, but when I looked at your sites, they all say "About" or "testimonials", or whatever up in the browser when on those pages.

Am I missing something here, cuz I'm focused on "keywords" today, and my head is ready to explode.

Thanks for catching the About page. I didn't upload it to my server. Sorry your stressed out. I don't see any other issues. All the meta tags have been installed on all pages even the error 404 page. The titles have all been set to how I want search engines to display my info and it all seams good.

Thanks.

afpettijohns
03-23-2011, 05:17 PM
I made my website entirely from scratch.

Everything on it, is made by me. I have wasted a good portion of several wonderful evenings fooling around with ideas, lol.

www.breezelawnservice.ca

The website is not complete, there is (still) the loading issue I have yet to get to. (The site will work, but it will take a few seconds to start up. It will run smoothly once it has been loaded)

/////////////////

Did you create yours using html, etc? Or are you using a template your host provided you with? I'd say it's pretty neat! If you need any suggestions on how to remove all of your chances with 'metatags' let me know! I'm all about not caring about that jumbo!:D

I wrote it hard code html and developed the title image in photoshop. I don't understand remove all of my chances with metatags? Could always use help with SEO, thanks.

Your site is really pretty and cool but I have a very fast connection and it's slow to load even with my speed. People still uses dial up and you could loose customers. Maybe a faster server will help. I went with ipage.com good clean service with speed to spare. Shop around. Flash is cool but it is a monster to load. I don't think I would go with it for anything but a fun site.

CHEESE2009
03-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Your site is really pretty and cool but I have a very fast connection and it's slow to load even with my speed. People still uses dial up and you could loose customers. Maybe a faster server will help. I went with ipage.com good clean service with speed to spare. .

I'm using Ipage... :( lol

afpettijohns
04-01-2011, 03:12 AM
I'm using Ipage... :( lol

Maybe you should start out with something simple until you work out the bugs in you Flash site? Your not in my neighborhood and going to be competition for me so I would be willing to send you my entire site code. Just modify it slightly so customers see a fully functional and faster site and work on yours in the background 'til it's ready.

I very much hope this offer doesn't offend you, and the cost to you is nothing! This forum has given me so much, I really would like to give back.

Anyone else up for my site in a different neighborhood then mine is welcome to it. Only customers in my area need see my site and it would do my ego good that others like my design work. :)