PDA

View Full Version : Brown Patches

cleancutlawncare5382
03-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Guys take a look at these pictures. I have seen these every spring in my area and as the season gets warmer they seem to go away.

Do you think this might be thatch problems? The grass feels spongy when walked on.
Thanks

Steve
03-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Can you take a sample of the grass and soil to your local county extension office? I would think they could test it and let you know what is going on.

cleancutlawncare5382
03-22-2011, 06:11 AM
Yeah I have use the extension office for soil samples on my own property. Well spent $10.

I plan to hit the streets today; I have 100 “the grass should be greener in your own backyard” postcards left over from last year. I want to get these on door knobs before the brown spots go away.
I really think these are caused by thatch. They show up in the early spring and again in summer when the grass goes dormant. So if I can pull a customer or two, that will be my approach.

Steve
03-22-2011, 07:34 AM
What did the extension office say about the test? Did they suggest a treatment?

What are you going to do to help your customers with the brown spots?

I like your postcard a lot.

cleancutlawncare5382
03-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Steve the extensions office was kind of a trial run on my property last year, just to get a feel of the process. Great info was given. I would recommend using this as starting point with any new customers. They gave a current status of the soil, “high,low,normal” readings of fertile and ph levels. Also gave 3 year plan of what products to use to bring soil to optimum performance.

I believe the brown patches are caused by thatch build up. I will recommend aeration and dethatcher from Natures Lawn. I think the water is just running off and not being absorbed. Need to get the soil loosed back up and remove the layer of dead grass preventing air and nutrients.

Post card was barrowed from Picframer, I saw he uses these as driving around and spotting problems. I plan to use this tactic today – ( if the rain holds ).

Steve
03-23-2011, 11:31 AM
This year it would be great if you took some before-during-and after pictures of how you helped your customers with brown patches on their lawns. I bet that could be a big selling point in your future marketing material.

edsaws
04-01-2011, 03:40 AM
I think you may be looking at zoysia grass. Looks like my front yard, the zoysia is the 1st to brown in fall and last to turn green in spring.