PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to take the plundge

edsaws
03-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Hi everyone new guy here. My name is Ed and my company name is going to be Lagasse Lawn Care. I am currently employed in manufacturing. But the future is not pretty. I've been laid off twice in four years and quite frankly am fed up with all the outsourcing of work overseas for cheap labor. I work the graveyard shift and be thinking about doing this for a while now. So a few weeks ago we were informed that the work will be shipped out w/in a year or so. So I figured its time to get this thing off the ground. I'm going to start out on a part time basis to get my feet wet so to speak. Figure I can get some jobs done in the mornings after work. Start getting my name out there and build up some clientele. I'll be doing mowing,mulching and cleanups hedge trimming and power washing. I'm working on the lawn school degree now and readin all I can on here. Great forum. Looking forward to being a part of it.

Ed

Simpkins
03-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Welcome aboard! Sorry to hear about your misfortune with your current employer. I think the uncertainty of our futures in our jobs, breeds a lot of self starters. This can be a very rewarding business if you play your cards right. You have came to the right place to learn, imo.

When do you plan on starting? How do you plan to market yourself right off the bat?

edsaws
03-21-2011, 01:17 AM
I plan on starting within a couple of weeks. I plan on marketing myself with the use of flyers,door hangers, handing out buisness cards and leaving some at local buisnesses with bulletin boards and such. I'm going to put an add on craigslist and leave my phone # to avoid being spamed to death.Also going to get some of those magnet signs to put on my truck for now. Avetually I'd like to get a web page up and running.

Simpkins
03-21-2011, 02:38 AM
Those all sound like really good plans. I stayed away from CL after I tried it once. It seemed I got more BS from there than anything. Others here have had tremendous results with it though. I guess it really depends on the area. If you live in an area full of BS then you get BS calls? lol

Anyways, you might want to check this (http://jdsimpkins.com/marketing-your-lawn-care-business.html) out. It's a short "e-book" I wrote, that outlines some general marketing strategies for lawn care. Let me know what you think of it please.

Steve
03-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Welcome to our forum Ed!

I am looking forwards to your updates as you get everything started.

Will you be getting any signs on your truck or trailer? Are you letting your neighbors know you are getting started in the business?

edsaws
03-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Hi Steve, I will be getting some signs for the my truck. I don't have a trailer yet. Which brings up another question on ramps that I'll post in the starting a lawn care business. As for letting the neighbors know, yeah for the most part. I have a couple of real PITA's that don't deserve nor would I give the time of day.

Steve
03-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Are you also able to market your services through your friends and family members? Or maybe social groups you are a member of?