PDA

View Full Version : what am i doing wrong here?

poolplayer
03-18-2011, 12:37 PM
i have distributed almost 2000 of these flyers yet i havent recieved a single call. these were placed on doors of homes. compared to other flyers i see around my area mine look very professional. what do you guys think of this flyer? these are printed on glossy paper and are heavy post card size.

jymie
03-18-2011, 01:20 PM
i have distributed almost 2000 of these flyers yet i havent recieved a single call. these were placed on doors of homes. compared to other flyers i see around my area mine look very professional. what do you guys think of this flyer? these are printed on glossy paper and are heavy post card size.

The flyer looks fine. Your in Detroit? You may not start to get calls for another few weeks yet. Keep at handing them out, you should get some response as you get into April.

wellbiz
03-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Welcome to the forum fellow Michigander! I haven't even handed any marketing material out yet myself. I usually wait for a few more weeks. Our snow just disappeard earlier this week and while the last few days have been warm I dont think the majority of homeowners are thinking about their lawns yet.

Your flyer/postcard looks nice. Colors are good, you got a nice list of services. Looks like you are licensed and insured. They are more professional then 99% of the flyers that get left on my door. I would say be patient, the phone will start to ring, its just a little early. I have a had a few calls for spring clean ups and sod jobs, but no lawn cutting yet. I highly recommend a website if you dont have one. Local city newspapers seem to pull good leads for me also.

Just to warn you most cities in the area require a handbill license to hand out marketing material door to door. Depending on which suburb you are in they can get cranky if someone complains...

Jay

poolplayer
03-18-2011, 02:06 PM
do you think there is a best time of the day or week to hand out flyers door to door? been thinking if i should do this on weekends where i can hopefully catch people at home? what do you guys think of those coupon packs you get in the mail, does anybody actually look at them?

poolplayer
03-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Just to warn you most cities in the area require a handbill license to hand out marketing material door to door. Depending on which suburb you are in they can get cranky if someone complains...

i called the township of brownstown and asked about the handbill license. they want $250.00 to apply and it has to go infront of the board to be approved along with background checks on any person that will be passing out flyers. guess i wont be doing any door to door in brownstown this year.lol

Upscale2
03-18-2011, 02:23 PM
do you think there is a best time of the day or week to hand out flyers door to door? been thinking if i should do this on weekends where i can hopefully catch people at home? what do you guys think of those coupon packs you get in the mail, does anybody actually look at them?

I dont look at those.

Is your business on google places? Owner Verified? If not you should be.

poolplayer
03-18-2011, 03:32 PM
I dont look at those.

Is your business on google places? Owner Verified? If not you should be.

no its not, how do i get started on that?

jymie
03-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Here is a link, you can also type in google search, google places submit

GOOGLE PLACES (https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=lbc&passive=1209600&continue=http://www.google.com/local/add/businessCenter?utm_campaign%3Den%26utm_medium%3Dha %26utm_source%3Den-ha-na-us-places_bkws&followup=http://www.google.com/local/add/businessCenter?utm_campaign%3Den%26utm_medium%3Dha %26utm_source%3Den-ha-na-us-places_bkws)

Do the same with Yahoo and Bing.

picframer
03-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Flyer looks great, as noted a bit early.

There are two things I noticed

No mention of Free Estimates (something I look for if I have to hire someone)

Website - People like to check our a potential supplier

Steve
03-19-2011, 04:32 AM
I did a search to see when people from the Detroit area are looking for lawn care http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=Lawn%20care&geo=US-MI-505&cmpt=q

and I found by March, the chart shows it's halfway to peak interest for the year with April at the peak.

Maybe now would be a good idea to start looking into google adword marketing as well in your area?

There is more discussion on when to start your spring advertising (http://lawnchat.com/?p=2160) here.

Is this your first year in business or are you building on a current customer base? Are you doing any other forms of marketing?

poolplayer
03-19-2011, 08:03 AM
i started in mid summer last year. i started out working for hud doing cleanouts, and landscaping for them but they started giving the work to all minority companys. this is my first year advertising for myself.

wellbiz
03-19-2011, 09:03 AM

i called the township of brownstown and asked about the handbill license. they want $250.00 to apply and it has to go infront of the board to be approved along with background checks on any person that will be passing out flyers. guess i wont be doing any door to door in brownstown this year.lol

:eek: Its $25 dollars in Livonia and a you fill out a form that takes 30seconds... Wow.

Steve
03-20-2011, 03:19 PM
i started in mid summer last year. i started out working for hud doing cleanouts, and landscaping for them but they started giving the work to all minority companys. this is my first year advertising for myself.

Are there other customer groups then you could go after that might be easier for you in your area? Do you know many people in your area that could help you get jobs? Are you socially networking with everyone you know?

poolplayer
03-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Are there other customer groups then you could go after that might be easier for you in your area? Do you know many people in your area that could help you get jobs? Are you socially networking with everyone you know?

ive been talking to everyone i know and meet, also going to every small business in the area. im definately networking but with only a couple calls so far.

Steve
03-22-2011, 05:54 AM
Isn't it still early in your area to be mowing? This might come down to people are not even thinking of yard card yet but they may be shortly and then things should be picking up.

poolplayer
03-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Isn't it still early in your area to be mowing? This might come down to people are not even thinking of yard card yet but they may be shortly and then things should be picking up.

do you think i should keep passing out flyers door to door or should i wait a week or two then go back at it

Hedgemaster
03-22-2011, 09:17 PM
I'd keep handing them out - get them in their hands so they have someone to call when they notice things have turned green all of a sudden.

Steve
03-23-2011, 12:04 PM
You also might want to experiment with an inducement. Maybe with half the flyers you put out there, include a coupon for some service to get them to call. With the other half, don't include a coupon.

Put an ad code in each of the two different flyers. Then when customers call, you can ask them for the ad code and see which flyer is pulling in more customers. Then you can use that one as your test and alter it a bit and see which of those pulls better.

Does that help?

stevef1201
03-24-2011, 06:43 PM
I live in Central Florida, and mowing season has not quite started, I did put out 100 flyers two weeks ago, and got 3 customers. This month is usually just 2 cuts, but because I want to stay visible in those neighborhoods I cut every week. Most of my calls come from the ad I have in the local Penny Saver. I started last year had 20 customers or thier about, lost several due to thier kids or grandkids wanted to mow, acouple who moved, and three that I would not renew this year (PITA) customers. I have all the rest return, and picked up 5 new ones already. You may do great this year, but DO NOT STOP ADVERTISING! Also make your ads season specific, ie. spring clean up, give your wife a present with a new flower bed for mothers day, give your husband a year long present with great lawn care, etc. Remember Residiential customers care most about how you treat them, and how thier lawn looks week to week, and if you treat them right they will return year after year after year. Good luck

Steve
03-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Also make your ads season specific, ie. spring clean up, give your wife a present with a new flower bed for mothers day, give your husband a year long present with great lawn care, etc.

Steve, what's your view on why it's so important to include seasonal specific information in your advertising vs. the same message all the time?

darrinlindsay
03-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Your offer is not big enough. If you are looking for new customers you really need to offer them something. Try half off first cut and give the customer a lawn evaluation. What you are trying to do with with this offer is to show them they can trust you and you are worth their time.

I know offer them half off is something really hard to do, but if you do a good job, they will continue using you.

Darrin