PDA

View Full Version : burnt grass

CFD192
03-17-2011, 11:02 PM
ok guys a question for some of you....I have been mowing for years with a cub cadet lawn mower riding tractor 42in, and last year I purchased a commerical cub cadet zero turn 48in to help mow more lawns. The grass in some of my residental yards have been burnt looking and in some places it seems to be just dirt. My question is, I haven't noticed this in the past as much as this past year and I was wondering if this was something to do with my zero turn or just because it was a little drier this year. I don't know if it is because more blades turning and the heat off the zero turn is killing it off or what? Any help would be great on this issue. Also is it maybe that i need to mow a 1/4 inch higher or what in the summer. It only seems like it is on the ends of the lawn where I am turning. Thanks

jymie
03-17-2011, 11:47 PM
I make it a habit to raise my blade higher in the summer months. You should also turn slower at the ends of each line, the burning you see may be becuase of the tires digging to hard into the lawn.

CFD192
03-18-2011, 06:48 AM
thanks any other words of wisdom on this would be great!

wandfsmall
03-18-2011, 07:45 AM
I have seen mufflers burn grass in certain conditions. Have you talked to your dealer about this problem?

Gls
03-18-2011, 09:13 AM
This may be a stupid question but...
Have you used a z-turn before?
They can easily leave bare spots from turning to hard. There are a bunch of little steering tricks to learn. Even your front casters will rip up grass if you don't help them start to turn.

shadrach
03-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Check tire pressure on back tires. One side being low will pitch the deck a bit and will scalp some on turns. My best guess from what you are describing anyway. If you had pictures that would help a lot.

CFD192
03-18-2011, 10:38 AM
I will try to get some pictures...it also seems to be in areas where there is alot of traffic. do most of you come to complete stop at turns or what are the hints for the turns...any help would be appreciated. I don't know if it is just I am noticing it more this year since I am now the owner and I never noticed last year because of just being the laborer or if it actually is burning out. I don't think it is the muffler because it is turned higher. Also while we are talking about zero turns what all do you guys use? It has it's ups, but I am getting a large contract and am going to buy another for my second crew since I got this contract.

Thanks

shadrach
03-18-2011, 11:03 AM
the weight of the mower can sometimes cause the grass to turn brown in the tire tracks, especially if it has been dry for an extended period of time.

Gls
03-18-2011, 11:20 AM
I try to keep the sticks going the same direction, Both forward or both back. Try not to turn real sharp. If I need to make a sharp turn on grass that's weak in the first place, do a multiple-point turn. When you turn all a once, one tire is stationary and a pivot point, Ripping/tearing the grass under it. Practice on dirt so you can see where your tracks are and what there doing. You wanna see the tread marks, no smear marks.