PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Interested in the Business

dami0601
03-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Hello Everyone,

Well I am new to the forum and I have been thinking of opening my own lawncare company. I have been in the lawn/landscaping business for about 9 years. I have worked on golf courses for 4 of those years and lawn/landscape companies for 5 of those years. I feel I can mow/trim/blow/edge core aerate etc just as good as anyone if not better. I know quite a bit about the trade.

I have a few connections that are in advertising/marketing. Basically I want to know where to start. I do not own a mower or trailer at this time. Where are good places to look for equipment. Also, what can I expect out of the first year in the business? Is this a good business to get into? Any information will help! thanks

jymie
03-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Check craigslist and backpage. I got my trailer off craigslist. I also got a Echo stick edger off craigslist. You can try your local pawn shops, sometimes you can get good deals on equipment. Make sure they are in working order.

Steve
03-17-2011, 03:03 AM
Hi,

Welcome to our forum!

Can you get started with some basic equipment such as a push mower and start getting the word out about your business?

Keep things simple at first and scale up.

I have been in the lawn/landscaping business for about 9 years. I have worked on golf courses for 4 of those years and lawn/landscape companies for 5 of those years. I feel I can mow/trim/blow/edge core aerate etc just as good as anyone if not better. I know quite a bit about the trade.

Do you feel you will be able to take some of the business lessons you learned from these other companies and apply them to your own? Do any lessons stand out?

dami0601
03-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Hi,

Welcome to our forum!

Can you get started with some basic equipment such as a push mower and start getting the word out about your business?

Keep things simple at first and scale up.

I could definitely start out by using a walk behind mower, but I made a rough list of people that would potentially hire me. Some of their yards are quite large.

Do you feel you will be able to take some of the business lessons you learned from these other companies and apply them to your own? Do any lessons stand out?

Yes definitely. Both companies had a lot a good attributes and a few not so good attributes. I think scheduling was a lesson that stood out. Time management was definitely another lesson. I worked with someone that took way too much time on yards. They worked at the company for 3 years prior to me and sort of had seniority so I really wasnt in any place to tell them what to do. For example: We mowed 10 accounts on tuesdays took us about 9 hours (there were 3 large yards) and there was one tuesday where my partner was absent and it took me 7 hours and IMO my stripes and everything looked better.

Steve
03-18-2011, 01:35 AM
That is very interesting and it makes you wonder, how do you ultimately figure out how much time is too much or not enough to spend on a property? Especially when you are talking larger lawns that require some attention. Does the extra time keep the customers around or do they not notice and it therefor costs you in lost profits?