PDA

View Full Version : Soggy Lawn

lxarth
03-15-2011, 01:09 PM
I just picked up a customer that has an extremely nice property and lawn. It is well manicured, maintained, and landscaped.

Last year I bid that job, and didn't get it. This year, I called him again, rebid it, and got it. He said that he would give me a chance.

Now, my problem is this. I went over there yesterday, as my last job of the day, and got to working trimming and edging.

When it came time to mow, I started to notice that the ground is fairly soft, and it quickly turns soggy. So soggy that I left ruts throughout his lawn.

Not all of his lawn was like that, but I would say most of it was.

I left thinking, "holy crap, I just got a new client, and am going to lose it at the same time".

I know he has an irrigation system...and on a spot where the downhill spot of his lawn meets the sidewalk there is water and bark dust (on the sidewalk), and I can see from the bark that there is erosion (at least that's what I think it is).

I'm wondering what I can do to fix this. Is it caused from a compacted soil, and thereby needs aeration? Ir is just over watering? I have noticed that people with an irrigation system tend to water ever day for a few min at a time.

I don't want to loss the account, and this has actually happened to other customer, just not as severe, before.

Please help me with this. His neighbors lawns look fine, and his looked fine till I showed up.

ToastedToad
03-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Talk to him bout it and try to come up with a solution together. This way he knows that you are aware of it and that you're not trying to avoid the issue.

jymie
03-15-2011, 04:48 PM
If you do go for an aeration there, be sure to mark with flags where all the sprinkler heads are located so you dont bust one with an aerator.

The Cleaning Doctor
03-15-2011, 04:59 PM
First off, start off by changing the watering schedule to reduce this some. One deep watering per week should be sufficient. Second try the arify product from natures lawn to loosen the soil and allow the water to drain better.

It is probably a combination of both issues contributing to the problem.

Steve
03-16-2011, 02:04 AM
I just picked up a customer that has an extremely nice property and lawn. It is well manicured, maintained, and landscaped.

Last year I bid that job, and didn't get it. This year, I called him again, rebid it, and got it. He said that he would give me a chance.

What is your view on why you didn't get the job last year but did this year? What do you feel changed?

When it came time to mow, I started to notice that the ground is fairly soft, and it quickly turns soggy. So soggy that I left ruts throughout his lawn.

Can you find out how often it is set to irrigate? Also was it just recently on that afternoon before you showed up?

DC 1
04-03-2011, 04:22 PM
sounds like the irrigation system is broke.

could be a broken head or maybe a valve hanging open ,causing water to go to the low points of the zone/yard.

Let your customer know about the problem!!!!!

lxarth
04-03-2011, 11:32 PM
What is your view on why you didn't get the job last year but did this year? What do you feel changed?

When I bid the property last year I bid it at $375/mo for full service lawn care. I totaled up everything he wanted done, and thought it was high, but it seemed right by my books. He knew I was new at it though.

After the bid he told me that the other prices were between $180-$230/mo. So this year I called him and told him how I've grown, and the new price I think is fair ($200), and he went with it.

Can you find out how often it is set to irrigate?

He said he isn't watering yet. I'm hoping to get the Aerify stuff and give it a shot, I'm just waiting for it to show up.

But it is pretty wet around here, it's just that most of my other customers don't have a soggy lawn.

picframer
04-04-2011, 05:46 AM
sounds like the irrigation system is broke.

could be a broken head or maybe a valve hanging open ,causing water to go to the low points of the zone/yard.

Let your customer know about the problem!!!!!

I would have had a look before offering a quote and prior to quoting let him know what you discovered.

It could be a host of issues, where I live it could be the spetic field, leaking well line, clay in soil or an interceptor drain required due to run off. The most common is drains required and qite often the down spouts are dumping wated on the lawn creating other issues. In your case it sounds like a sprinkler, I would think this is really driving his water bill up.

lxarth
04-08-2011, 02:27 AM
I brought it to his attention (and his wife's) when I was there a few days ago. He said that he winterized the home, and the sprinkler system. But the wife also said that she doesn't remember it being soggy last year...she also said she doesn't really go in the yard.

I just got in the Aerify stuff, so I'll give that a shot, and the customer also wants normal aeration done too. So I'll give a few other companies a call and see who to go with.

Anything I should ask when talking to another company?

Steve
04-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Are you going to sub-contract out the plug aeration? Could you offer this service even if you rented the machine?

If not, and you are looking to learn from these other companies, why not ask them what they feel is the cause of the soggy grass.

lxarth
04-09-2011, 02:00 PM
I will sub the work out. I haven't used a mechanical aerator yet, and I don't want to screw it up. I would rather just sub out the work, and ask some questions from this other company, them potentially break some sprinklers and be in over my head.

Hopefully this other company will help me out, and maybe have some insight into the problem.

Steve
04-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Keep us posted on how this turns out.

DC 1
04-11-2011, 11:49 AM
what part of the country are you in anyhow?????

should be able to rent a aerator for $40-50 for the day......