PDA

View Full Version : Hello fellow mower jockeys.

ToastedToad
03-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Name is Scott and I'm just starting my own lawn care biz. I worked for almost 6 years many moons ago in landscaping after getting an associates degree in Ornamental Horticulture. That stint in the industry saw me building many many hand picked rock walls that eventually led to a blown out back and a bitter taste for the work. About 10 years ago I started mowing some properties for my father in laws outfit to help make ends meet. I've always enjoyed mowing but never really had the desire to run my own business.

To make a long story even longer...I am now working on and off as a Systems Administrator, taking care of Servers and end user workstations for small business clients in my area. The guy I work for and I see things very very differently as far customer service and the proper ways to do things. Being 40 and taking orders from a younger boss that I don't believe in has made me realize that I am ready to be the master of my own destiny. I'm going to sink or swim by my own abilities and not those of someone else.

I have read through most of the posts on the forum and find it to be a wealth of great information and I thank all of you that contribute for the help. I have business cards made up, and ordered some door hangers to advertise some spring fertilizing and get my name out there. I have been out every day shaking hands and introducing myself to Real Estate agents, Prop Managers, local nurserymen etc. and made a great contact with an irrigation outfit. So although I haven't landed any new work ye, I know that as soon as the grass starts to jump I'll get some calls and get this thing off the ground.

I think I probably lost a few of you some time back so I'll cut it off here.

Thanks Steve for all your hard work!

ToastedToad
03-16-2011, 01:55 AM
Was it something I said?

Simpkins
03-16-2011, 02:16 AM
Was it something I said?

haha I hadn't seen your post for some reason. It is rare indeed that a post goes a few days without even a single response.

Congratulations on starting your own business. It's pretty exciting for you I'm sure. Have you received your door hangers yet? Let us see an example when they come in. It seems people around here are always looking for a quality company with low prices for these. Where did you order them?

What would you say your #1 marketing strategy is right now? I personally love the door hangers. They are relatively inexpensive and yielded pretty decent results for me. Plus starting out, this is how I got into shape for doing the actual work. lol I'm always out of shape but after a canvassing a few neighborhoods, I was able to do it pain free. ;)

Steve
03-16-2011, 03:52 AM
Scott,

Welcome to our forum. I think you are experiencing what many others go through yet probably many never allow themselves to act.

I've always enjoyed mowing but never really had the desire to run my own business.

Being 40 and taking orders from a younger boss that I don't believe in has made me realize that I am ready to be the master of my own destiny. I'm going to sink or swim by my own abilities and not those of someone else.

For those that are sitting there, scared of acting on their thoughts, can you give us some insight into this you were feeling?

Why do you feel initially you had no desire to run your own business? Why do you feel that has changed and how has that change effected you?

ToastedToad
03-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Whew, I thought I was being blackballed on my first post! lol!

I tried www.doorhangers.com for my hangers, they seemed to be the easiest I found to do a quick design, I'm not very artistic. Didn't see anyone complaining about them on here so I figured wth. I ordered 1000 to start and have choice couple of areas picked out to blanket.

Steve-

At first I think it was just being really that I wasn't in a position to open one...not that I am now either really. Maybe it was the fear of taking that chance, or time to pursue, maybe a little laziness. It was just these past few months that I realized that I hated working for peanuts while someone else drove new cars and took nice vacations. Now I figure if I'm going to work for peanuts they'll be my freakin peanuts!

Steve
03-17-2011, 03:46 AM
At first I think it was just being really that I wasn't in a position to open one...not that I am now either really. Maybe it was the fear of taking that chance, or time to pursue, maybe a little laziness. It was just these past few months that I realized that I hated working for peanuts while someone else drove new cars and took nice vacations. Now I figure if I'm going to work for peanuts they'll be my freakin peanuts!

Excellent points. See I think you hit on something here that most people who want to be entrepreneurs, don't get. Is there ever a good time to start your business?

What I mean by this is, we all have this ideal. 'If I had $X amount of dollars in the bank, then I could start.'

But when does any of that ever happen? And if we come to the realization that there is never an IDEAL time to start your own business, doesn't it then come down to every moment then is the right time?

I mean, if it's never going to be a perfect transition from full time employee to business owner, why waste another minute and instead, just do it?