PDA

View Full Version : When did you go full time?

slcllc
03-14-2011, 10:46 PM
For those of you who, like myself, started your lawn care company while employed full time elsewhere... when did you make the jump from your former job to being self-employed full time? How many customers did you have in an average week, and how much were you making before you finally broke away from the daily grind?

950thomas
03-15-2011, 10:08 PM
I went full time after a year I was mowing a hundered yards a week before I quit my full time job

Steve
03-16-2011, 03:15 AM
For those of you who, like myself, started your lawn care company while employed full time elsewhere... when did you make the jump from your former job to being self-employed full time?

Are you doing this full time or part time now? Do you find it is difficult to know when to ultimately make that leap?

slcllc
03-16-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm doing this part time now and have been for a year. My full time job is an hour away from home as a retail manager so I can never really get the same two days off every week, and with the drive, I'm already gone about 50 hours a week.
I have a two man crew and do about ten lawns every Monday. I know I could get more if I had more time, but I don't. Should I hire my other guy to do lawns solo for me? I keep thinking that if I did that, he could get me a base of customers necessary to make the jump, but it's not his company so you never know if he's doing it 100%...

I would make the leap today if my wife had a job, but she stays home with our four month old baby girl.

Steve
03-17-2011, 03:38 AM
Should I hire my other guy to do lawns solo for me? I keep thinking that if I did that, he could get me a base of customers necessary to make the jump, but it's not his company so you never know if he's doing it 100%...

You can surely experiment with it, but if you aren't there and not able to supervise, anything can happen and anything can go wrong.

Is it possible you could save up a bit and then jump to a part time job while you built up your lawn care business?

It must be extremely tough on you to work that much full time and then come back and run your lawn care business.