PDA

View Full Version : green lawn products

baldor99
03-14-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm just starting out on my own and dont know what license i need in MA. i'm only starting with basic lawn services and minor projects. Will i need to get a lic. for using green products on lawns and beds.
Thank You
Mike

Steve
03-16-2011, 02:38 AM
Hi Mike,

Welcome to our forum!

Each area is different. You may need a local township business license. You could find that out through your town hall.

If you want to apply fertilizers, you will probably need a state license for that. You could find out more on your state site.

Most areas don't require you to collect sales tax on lawn care but they do for capital improvement projects, such as landscapes or hardscapes. So that would be a sales tax license as well, if needed.

What got you interested in starting your own business?

baldor99
03-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Thank you for the welcome
i've been a member on here for awhile and have been doing some of my homework from this site.

I've always been involved with some sort of lawn care for the past 15 yrs. after i started to work with a friend of my dads when i was in my teens. it was bound to happen sooner or later, wish it was sooner.

I'm only doing cleanups lawns some reseeding the basic stuff. I dont want to get involved in fertilizers or landscape/hardscapes as of yet. not that i cant i just dont have that much equipment.

i hv the basic 36"lesco beltdrive walk behind 2 jd push mower mutli tool weed/pruner/edger/blower from stilhl, echo straight trimmer 18" and 12" husqvarna chainsaws and hand tools, and a 8' fisher plow that i plowed for my town.

i just started posting ads on craigs list and flyers are handed out by me an my dad when we are around town. im not insured rite now but plan on it by the first of april. Do i need 1mil policy or can i get by with 500k

Hedgemaster
03-17-2011, 12:27 AM
Regarding the insurance, the difference in cost between the two is often so small that it makes no sense to get "less coverage".
One agent told me that they don't even offer a $500,000 policy for that reason.

And as Steve said, all the "licensing" seems to vary by state. You will need to verify all of that.
Taxable services vary as well. For example, Mowing grass is taxable in PA, but in many other places it is not.

Steve
03-17-2011, 04:15 AM
As you look ahead now into this spring and summer, what are some of the goals you have for your new business? What are you looking to achieve?

baldor99
03-17-2011, 09:09 PM
What I'm looking to do during this season is to grown to about 15-20 accounts
By summer time and cut back at my night job.
So I can work for my self full time by winter.
Thanks steve for the responses.

An for INS. Between 500k an 1mil policy is like 300

Steve
03-18-2011, 02:45 AM
That sounds like a great plan!

Keep us posted on how everything goes!