PDA

View Full Version : Picking the right Mower

hulkamania
03-11-2011, 10:23 AM
My name is Josh and I am starting a lawn mowing business. I was curious what you guys think which mower you recommend. I am looking at an Exmark Lazer Z 60" or Big Boy Outlaw 61". Just want to get your feedback. Our if you have a different choice i am open to.

Thanks for the help guys.

wellbiz
03-11-2011, 11:32 AM
My name is Josh and I am starting a lawn mowing business. I was curious what you guys think which mower you recommend. I am looking at an Exmark Lazer Z 60" or Big Boy Outlaw 61". Just want to get your feedback. Our if you have a different choice i am open to.

Josh, welcome to the forum. All the major brands of mowers are pretty good. Everyone has their favorites. The better question might be what is the best choice for your business. What type of lawns do you service? Small lots, commercial, residential, etc. What are your goals for this mower? Answers to these questions will provide the forum members with more information to go on and you will probably get some more specific recommendations.

wandfsmall
03-11-2011, 12:05 PM

we would need more information about the mowers to truly help you. Like engines you are looking at.

The BadBoy outlaw is an integrated system that is not as heavy duty as the exmark and can come with a Briggs engine based on the ELS that did not hold up well. But the kaw or kohler outlaws are not bad mowers if you take care of them.

I would also look at Hustler, Scag, and Bob-cat if you have dealers in your area for a price. I personally think exmark units are a little high priced in a lot of cases for what they are.

hulkamania
03-11-2011, 03:51 PM
I am doing residential, commercial, and just a mix of big lots and small lots. At my house I mow approx. 4-5 acres. I mow from half to one acre lots, 2-4 acres lots and also mow a 5-6 acre lot. I do this after work in the evenings and weekends. I am not a full blown lawn mowing business. I just want a good zero turn that i can have for years and I will take care of course.

Thanks for your help.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
03-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Are you looking for new or used? What is your budget? I would say buy a good quality mower since you are using it on alot of big jobs. You don't want a residential based zero turn ie Craftsman. I would stick with Exmark, Scag, Wright and a like mowers. But more details as used/new budget and how long you plan to keep it would help. Those are very big properties. Good luck!

hulkamania
03-11-2011, 06:29 PM
I would like to buy a new but if I could buy a good lightly used mower. My budget is under $10000.

wandfsmall
03-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I would like to buy a new but if I could buy a good lightly used mower. My budget is under $10000.

that would get you quite a few good commercial grade units. The ones I know of with Pumps and Wheel Motors, 60" X-One from Hustler, the 61-Procat from Bobcat, 61 turf tiger from scag(I Think will be under your limit) are all good mowers. Not sure about the exmark pricing they are high around here, same with grasshopper, way over $10000 around this area.

The Badboy outlaw is not bad if you avoid the Briggs version and do not pull anything with it, otherwise go with a lightning.