PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Stripping kits ya or na?

Jayd310
03-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Hey Everyone

I was wondering what your take is on lawn stripping kits. Does it really make that much of a difference. I have a 60 inch Lazer z last years model... and was wondering if would increase the looks of my stripes but i want the ultimate look! any input would help.

Thx

Steve
03-11-2011, 12:33 AM
I think first off, it depends on the type of grass you mow. Do you know if the grass you are working with would be able to be striped?

If so, what is your view on striped lawns? Do you like them or no?

Jayd310
03-11-2011, 07:36 AM
I love stripped lawns attach is a picture of one of the lawns i cut... This is with out a stripping kit.... Not quite sure what lawns are cabable or not i notice the lawns that are treated seem to be alot easier to strip.. Now let me know if that looks descent or not... i am straving for the ultimate strips in my lawn.. And thank you for the reply!

Steve
03-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Oh that looks fantastic! Why not experiment with some different striping devices? Maybe create a roller? Or have some chain links across the back the of your mower that drag on the lawn a bit?

You can buy a pre-made one but if you are handy, you can also make them as well.

boog
03-12-2011, 11:40 PM
i have been looking on lone for a stripe kit i think i am going to make my own i know where a lot of old push mowers are i think the wheels will make good rollers so im going to try that out i also seen on the net you can use pvc pipe filled with sand or what ever you want to make it heavy what are some other ways to stripe beside these ? can u stripe by changing the height of the blade ? just a thought not sure i have never tried to lay stripes but layd plenty of strippers haha

Steve
03-14-2011, 02:46 AM
I think the wheels might work out really well. Take some pictures of the process as you make it. I don't think changing the blade height alone will create a stripe, although a little longer grass should be easier to stripe than short grass.

Gls
03-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Got me thinking, I also am fairly handy. Did a google search and found this. Think I am going to make a version of this:
http://www.lifeandlawns.com/2008/05/25/advanced-technique-for-striping-your-lawn-with-your-lawn-mower/

Liberty Landscaping LLC
03-14-2011, 01:15 PM
I like that idea. I also have found some online that are just a rubber strip that hangs below the deck. I don't know if it works.

brian'slawncare
03-14-2011, 02:45 PM
that looks great!
only problem with that lawn: on the left side there are two dark green stripes right next to each other. never go the same direction twice in a row....

I have heard the rollers work best

Jayd310
03-15-2011, 06:40 AM
Thankyou Brian i really appreciate the info! I just put on my stripping kit for this upcoming season and bought the gator blades hopefully my lawns will look a lot better this year!

boog
03-15-2011, 06:56 PM
i just made this to day took me bout 4 hours and cost me $3 to make it had most of parts laing around the house

I found a striper on the web for $300 i can build it for $5 so that is my next mission if this 1 dont work

Steve
03-16-2011, 02:07 AM
i just made this to day took me bout 4 hours and cost me $3 to make it had most of parts laing around the house

It looks nice. What is that made out of? Did you try it out yet? I'd love to see some lawn pics of how it turns out.

Also, your truck seems to be John Deere Green. It matches your mower. What is the story behind that?

boog
03-16-2011, 09:46 AM
It looks nice. What is that made out of? Did you try it out yet? I'd love to see some lawn pics of how it turns out.

Also, your truck seems to be John Deere Green. It matches your mower. What is the story behind that?

Yea the truck is JD green i was told by a old man to surround my self with something i wanted and what i want is a lot of money, money is green so every thing i drive is green hopefully that will help

as for the striper i tried it for a couple min. yesterday but it has rained here for 2 weeks " worked good for a squeegee " im not sure how it is going to work we will see once weather brakes
I made it wit 1'' PVC pipe- a heavy duty floor mat - zip ties, couple nuts and bolts and a old floor joist hanger

Steve
03-17-2011, 02:36 AM
That truck would look great with your logo on the side of it.

I look forwards to hearing your results after the grass dries a bit.